Menu

How do "you" use Well Trained Mind?

Jasda

I am looking at starting the WTM with my 7th grader next session and am in need of advice of how to best utilize this method. I have read SWB's book and the layout is understandable to me. However, since I haven't actually used it yet I was wondering if there are things that you have run up against that make this method difficult to implement , time consuming (for me and my ds), etc.

I would also like those who find WTM great to chime in with your experiences as well, so I can see both sides.

How much time does it take to get through everything in a day? Where do you find ancient maps to use? How do you test for comprehension? Etc. Thanks!

To answer the question asked by Rhondabee, we have been Hs since first grade. He's an ok writer, not really a lover of books, but will read what's required. It does seem to take a long time to accomplish a days work -Read a couple of chapters in own book - writing prac - math - grammar - editing prac - penmanship prac - bible reading - science/projects - 2 chptrs history read/projects. I am not sure if I'm giving him too much, or he just daydreams too much- Maybe a bit of both although it seems to lean more toward the daydreaming. WTM seems so regimented that I don't know if he'd just get frustrated, or be fine with the orderliness of it.

For example, my ds just started hs'ing in 5th grade. Because he didn't have the benefit of having done history in 1st - 4th, and he had much to learn re: math, grammar, etc., we really had to modify WTM rec's quite a bit (always keeping a certain goal in mind).

But, someone who's been homeschooling a while and knows how to write well and loves to read would need something completely different.

:)

When I first started homeschooling, I followed TWTM closely. Now that I'm in my 5th year of homeschooling, I have learned more about me and my boys. I'm more comfortable planning on my own, and I feel more confident teaching. Therefore, I have slowly moved away from TWTM, but not on purpose. I know what programs will and won't work for me and/or my boys.

TWTM introduced me to the idea of homeschooling. I don't think I ever would have ventured into this option with SWB. However, I have grown and developed my own, unique style, so moving away is natural; sort of like a parent-child relationship. I'm forever grateful to TWTM and these boards.

How much time schooling takes each day is up to you. I know that SWB has said repeatedly over the years that the schedules in TWTM are just a guideline. She even removed some of the schedules in the 2nd edition. For us, we have a fairly rigorous schedule, but my boys don't really know it. They do the work I give them, but we do have fun, and I try to give them as much free time as possible to explore and play on their own.

I really wouldn't worry about the specifics of ancient maps and reading comprehension yet. First, you'll need to decide what core subjects to start with and develop a loose schedule. It will take some time for your son to adjust. Once you both feel comfortable, then you can add more subjects and start looking at remedial needs, if any.

I hope this helps. This board is a great place for encouragement and resources. It's great that you found it early on in your homeschooling journey.

We had been homeschooling for several years before we found TWTM, so I felt quite comfortable picking and choosing what I liked from the approach without worrying about "doing it all." Very quickly, I settled on the concept of relying on TWTM as a kind of framework to help me decide what to teach at each level. I then search out what seem to me to be the best resources to teach those subjects to my particular kids.

I also feel perfectly free to tweak and adjust both our approach and my expectations to fit our family and my kids.

The things I find most useful from TWTM approach are the chronological history cycles and the tying together of history and literature. I consider that history/literature chunk to be the heart of our curriculum, and it is where I start my planning for each year.

As to your specific questions: Where to get maps? How much time does it take? Testing? Well, I think those are really individual and that the answers will be different for every family.

For example, we don't really do a lot of map work, at least not the way it is descirbed in TWTM or (as I understand it) in the Story of the World activity guide. We don't do geography in as formal and focused a way as that. Instead, my kids do a variety of things, including playing with electronic "talking globes" and using the Top Secret Adventures kits from Highlights and watching DVDs about the places we are studying. We keep a world map on the wall and encourage them to look up locations. And one year we did use the blackline maps from Knowledge Quest as a formal part of our curriculum. My daughter loved them, but my son hated all the coloring and didn't seem to learn anything from it. So, with my daughter off to college, we just haven't bothered to do anything similar this year. My son will enroll in an online geography course next year, though.

In terms of time, currently I have a 9-year-old son working on what probably averages out to a 6th grade level. (He's way ahead in math and reading, probably closer to age level in other ways.) He's doing both Spanish and Latin, plus the basics (math, science, history/literature, grammar, music). Most days, he spends maybe three or four hours actually on-task, with frequent breaks that spread his "school day" out over as much as six hours. He is required to do desk work only four days per week, with Wednesdays devoted to outside classes and fun projects and occasional loafing. In the couple of years before she left for college, when my daughter was working on a high school level, she was putting in a lot more hours. She always insisted on carrying a heavy academic load (completing four grades in three years, for example). However, her daily desk time was probably closer to seven hours at that point.

My primary method of comprehension "testing" is just plain talking to the kids about what they are doing and reading. However, we've done other things, too. Some texts come with built-in reviews and tests, and we sometimes have the kids write out answers to those. As they get to the middle-school/logic stage level, I usually start requiring essays and projects about at least some of the books they read. And we've occasionally experimented with having me make up written quizzes and exams for certain subjects in which it seems to make sense.

I know none of that is terribly precise, but I hope it begins to answer at least some of your concerns.

--Jenny

I use it as a basic guide to map out our homeschooling journey. I remember when I was first thinking about homeschooling (when dd was a baby!) - I had worked in a Christian school (using ACE) and my sister had homeschooled her girls (using Abeka) for a few years so I knew about the different "boxed" curriculum available and figured that I would end up using one of those. I found WTM at our library read it and realized that there were other choices out there besides the box curriculum (not that there is anything wrong with them, I just like having more options). It has given me a sense of direction and purpose and courage to realize that I can strike out on a different path.

Short answer - it's a great guide to how you can accomplish a neo-classical education, but I don't plan on using it to the point of excluding everything else. There are a lot of philosophies and ideas and curriculum available to us so I take what works for me from each of them and use it within our own framework.

I would say it is a reference book for me as well. We incorporate the memorization but we memorize what I feel is important. We do binders but I modified that as well. We use some CM philosophies and Ruth Beechick methods. I think it is important to use different books and methods as guides and take from them what is best for your children and your homeschool.

and follow the instructions in TWTM until I'm in the water and paddling. If I think I've lost my way, I get out the book and reread. I agree with the goal and philosophy (for the most part) and love having a starting place whenever I need it. I'm on my second color of underlining, so there are two tone notes in the margins. Pencil and red. Next color will be blue.

I would simply take a part at a time and implement it that way. For example the history aspect might be what appeals to you most. Try that first for a few weeks and then gradually change your approach piece by piece. You will probably find some things work and others don't. Since you have been home educating for a long time I am sure you will have an idea of what works for your son personally.

The Well Trained Mind is an extremely well thought out book with tried and tested suggestions. As many have already said, use it for literature and curriculum suggestions. If there is already things that work well for your son though i wouldn't drop them (especially for example a math programme - where consistency is everything).

Best wishes on your new journey!