Menu

Shoe question for horse people

People shoes that is!

The family is going on a wagon train thing this summer. Each of us will be able to ride a horse for 1/2 a day included in the price. I definitely want to! I know I need shoes with a heel. I'm thinking either hiking boots of cowboy boots. Which would we be better off in? And (more importantly) how scuffed will the boots be after the 4 days is over?

I don't mind spending the money if I will be able to wear the boots again. If riding 1/2 day (who knows how many on and offs) is going to really scuff up the boots, I want to spend very little.

I'm also going to need boots for the kids.

It's not about scuffing, it's about safety. You need boots with a low heel that will not slide through the stirrups and possibly allow your foot to become entangled. If that were to happen and you somehow lost your seat, then you would be dangling and dragging along the ground until someone could get the horse stopped. People have been seriously injured or even killed in accidents like this.

Would you be able to change your shoes after half a day of riding and before the other half of the day hiking? In general, hiking boots do not make good riding boots because they are too wide to fit well in the stirrup and the heel thing again. However, some are made to work for both riding and hiking. Is there any kind of boot outlet near you where you could try some on? Check out some of the all-purpose work-type boots.

Cheap cowboy or riding boots would most likely be murder on your feet for hiking very far. Also, they usually have smooth soles other than the heel and are not good for rough, slippery terrain.

If it were me, my first choice would be to have both a serviceable riding boot and a decent hiking boot.

PS: Are they providing helmets? I would be especially particular about any inexperienced riders and all children wearing one during all riding times.

A good tip (I think) if you aren't going to purchase full riding boots (which protect the inside of the leg below the knee) is to pick up a pair of horse wraps for each person and wrap the legs with these.

Horse wraps are kind of like a fluffy re-usable bandage used when playing polo or other rough activities where a horse's legs could be injured. These are pretty cheap at a tack store, and will make riding a lot more pleasurable.

My invention when I had half-boots (paddock boots).

Hiking boots and sneakers are not a good idea for safety reasons as others have said.

Have fun!

Bill

Check out your local thrift stores, Goodwill, or Craig's list for cowboy boots. I would NOT ride in tennis shoes or hiking boots. The rubber soles on them can stick to the stirrups if you fall or slip and can trap your foot. You also want the heel to keep your foot from sliding through the stirrup.

I buy our riding boots at local Tack Sales---if horses are big in your area, ask around as there are lots of these used sales and I get my boots there---nice leather ones for $5-15/pair. You want FUNCTION over fashion for riding. Some boots have both but function and comfort should win out when riding.

I would ask about chaning shoes as you would likely pay a lot of money for a good boot for riding that would work for hiking.

I agree on the helmets. Even on the best, most bombproof trail horse you can fall off. My children are required to wear one in the barn or anywhere near the horses--even if they are just brushing/leading them. I wear my helmet when I am riding and doing anything more than the very basic work with them.

Sounds like a fun time.

I knew you were the ones to ask! I'll be on the lookout for riding boots. My dental hygienist has a daughter that rides. She told me about a place about 45 minutes away. I'll have to check it out. It's going to be finding the time. From now until end of May all weekends are taken up with basketball or soccer.

OH! And I'm sure we'll be able to change shoes once we're off the horse cause the rest of the day we can be in a wagon, if desired. I don't know about helmets cause mom has all the info. She's paying for it. It's the only way we could go. But when we see them in February, I'm sure it will come up. We have to fill out paperwork so the can match up horses.

Edited by momofkhm

You could always put a wanted ad on Craig's list and see what comes up. You can sometimes find kids cowboy boots at Target, Walmart, etc. They are not the best quality but if they will only be worn for these 4 days, they would work if you can't find used.

I am sure the papers will mention this as well but you will want PANTS for riding---no shorts. Stretch jeans are great for riding. I have some that I use just for riding. I would not wear them out in public but for riding they are great. You don't want rub marks.

It's not about scuffing, it's about safety. You need boots with a low heel that will not slide through the stirrups and possibly allow your foot to become entangled. If that were to happen and you somehow lost your seat, then you would be dangling and dragging along the ground until someone could get the horse stopped. People have been seriously injured or even killed in accidents like this.

Would you be able to change your shoes after half a day of riding and before the other half of the day hiking? In general, hiking boots do not make good riding boots because they are too wide to fit well in the stirrup and the heel thing again. However, some are made to work for both riding and hiking. Is there any kind of boot outlet near you where you could try some on? Check out some of the all-purpose work-type boots.

Cheap cowboy or riding boots would most likely be murder on your feet for hiking very far. Also, they usually have smooth soles other than the heel and are not good for rough, slippery terrain.

If it were me, my first choice would be to have both a serviceable riding boot and a decent hiking boot.

PS: Are they providing helmets? I would be especially particular about any inexperienced riders and all children wearing one during all riding times.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. I grew up with and rode horses for some 20 years, both western and english. Rarely did we use full on riding, either cowboy or english, boots. A good pair of sneakers is no more or less likely to get trapped in or pushed through a stirrup.

Just my experience.

Edited by Stacy in NJ
sp

Ariat's...they're the most comfortable shoe and have the heel for riding...I use them for my rainy days and they never get wet...sometimes pricey but I got a pair for less than $50 and I've worn them more than any other shoe I have!! :) And I"m only with the horses 10% of my time!! :)

Tara

Stacy, I'm glad to hear that you had no trouble riding in sneakers. Perhaps I just have big or wide feet, but I have had my sneakers get slightly caught in my stirrup on occasion. Thankfully, never in a situation where I was about to become unintentionally unhorsed, more often when I was getting ready to dismount.

However, I can say without a doubt that I have often slid on rocky or water saturated ground when wearing my cowboy boots. I wouldn't wear sneakers for the hiking portion of the trip either. I like shoes with more tread and more ankle support.

But, I'll bet it would feel nice to have a pair of light sneakers to slip on while around the campfire at night. You might even want to consider taking some of those cheap arch supports in your pack, just in case. And some of the adhesive pads called mole skin to put on any blisters caused by new shoes or unaccustomed activity. In addition to having horses for many years, I have also been a semi-pro dancer and that mole skin was a tremendous blessing to help us go on when we thought we couldn't take another step!

I'll have to respectfully disagree. I grew up with and rode horses for some 20 years, both western and english. Rarely did we use full on riding, either cowboy or english, boots. A good pair of sneakers is no more or less likely to get trapped in or pushed through a stirrup. Just my experience.

And, I'll disagree with your disagreement. :) In the horse world, it's pretty much unanimous that you need a riding shoe of some sort to ride. Ideally, these would have a heel, be at least slightly pointy-toed (to get your foot back in the stirrup easily if you loose your stirrup), have some ankle support, and not have a lace. (The lace up can get caught in the stirrup.) A cowboy boot fits this description perfectly.

Now I will admit: I ride in tennis shoes all the time, and I haven't been dragged either. However, that doesn't make it safe; and it's not what I'd recommend for someone wanting to do it right. :) Lots of barns won't let you on the horse at all in tennis shoes. Their insurance prohibits it.

(On my horse board, they ridicule people who show up to ride in tennis shoes, and heaven help you if they catch a picture of you on a horse in tennis shoes! LOL!)

And, I'll disagree with your disagreement. :) In the horse world, it's pretty much unanimous that you need a riding shoe of some sort to ride. Ideally, these would have a heel, be at least slightly pointy-toed (to get your foot back in the stirrup easily if you loose your stirrup), have some ankle support, and not have a lace. (The lace up can get caught in the stirrup.) A cowboy boot fits this description perfectly.

Now I will admit: I ride in tennis shoes all the time, and I haven't been dragged either. However, that doesn't make it safe; and it's not what I'd recommend for someone wanting to do it right. :) Lots of barns won't let you on the horse at all in tennis shoes. Their insurance prohibits it.

(On my horse board, they ridicule people who show up to ride in tennis shoes, and heaven help you if they catch a picture of you on a horse in tennis shoes! LOL!)

See, now as kids my sibs and I frequently ridiculed folks who took up riding, bought all the right stuff (including fancy riding boots), but who weren't.....how should I put this....the most skilled riders.

To each her own.:001_smile: