Menu

Does anyone know if we need a passport for driving over the Canadian border?

We live in Vermont and are thinking of taking a road trip over to Quebec City, since we're studying about Samuel Champlain and the Northwest Passage and how he founded Quebec. It would also be a wonderful weekend get away. But I'm not sure whether we need passports, I can't find any info online that makes any sense to me. So, of course, I come here, because I always find the answers I need, among my fellow hivers.

So, can anyone explain the new passport rules to me?

Thanks!:)

But they are preferred. The American agent gave a long soliloquy about the delays we were causing at the border by not having passports. (BTW I'm not against getting passports . . . it's just such a process for us not living near a passport office. And it's expensive . . here in Canada anyways.)

Is the whole family going? I travel regularly to BC without my husband. After a 5 hour detainment at the border once, I always take a notarized "permission slip" with me -- basically my husband writes, "I, Ross M, give my wife, Nicole M, permission to take our children (names and ages) to blah blah address for x days to visit their grandfather." Sometimes at the border they ask to see our documents and sometimes they don't bother. If you're going alone with your children, I highly recommend taking one.

It's better to be over-prepared than under-.

I know in Canada passports will be required for crossing by land in June '09 but I'm not sure about US laws. I just filled out my kids' applications today.

Link with up to date information . . .

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2008/dec/113151.htm

Indeed, it is June 1, 2009. So if you're planning on traveling before then--you're absolutely fine with the two pieces of documentation (one piece for each of the kids . . . we use birth certificates/"born abroad" certificates.

Thanks for the link. I was not aware that a hand-written note would do the trick. The time that we were detained was two days after an attempted kidnapping by a dad who had murdered his wife and was trying to get his children across the border. The dad was eventually shot by police. The workers at the border had clearly been traumatized (the woman working with us was wearing a bullet proof vest). My boys were pretty freaked out, and so was I. (I didn't have a note, but dh faxed one up.) I had never been interrogated before and it is not pretty! Short story long, I guess we over-did it on the documentation after that...!

So, can anyone explain the new passport rules to me?

Yes, I can. I live directly on the United States-Canada border so we cross frequently, and I have followed this subject closely on the behalf of many friends. Since my response conflicts with what some here have said, so I'll provide you with information such that you can verify the accuracy my response.

The following is taken from a recent press release by the United States Department of State:

"On June 1, 2009, a new American law known as the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) will require U.S. citizens 16 years of age or over who re-enter the United States by land and sea to have a passport or other appropriate secure document like a NEXUS card.

"Until this date arrives, U.S. citizens 19 years and older who enter the U.S. at land and sea ports of entry from within the Western Hemisphere will need to present government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license as proof of identity, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate, or a passport. Children age 18 and under will be able to enter with proof of citizenship. Verbal claims of citizenship and identity alone will not be sufficient to establish identity and citizenship for entry into the United States."

My translation for you: A new law is going to effect soon. It will not be fully implemented until June 1 of this year. The law pertains to re-entry into the States; it does not actually pertain to entering Canada. It pertains to coming back home, which of course you'll want to do at some point.;) Currently, re-entry BY AIR requires a passport. When the law is fully implemented (June 1), re-entry BY LAND OR SEA will also require a passport FOR THOSE OVER AGE 16. Children, even when law is implemented, will be allowed re-entry with (for example) a birth certificate. Until then, the adults in your famiyl will need a government-issued identification (such as a driver's license) along with proof of citizenship (e.g. birth certificate), while your children will need their birth certificates.

In summary, if you go prior to June 1 of this year, none of you needs a passport. Having said that, I always encourage people to get passports, even for children. They are, imo, one of the very best pieces of identification. People complain about the cost but the reality is that for most of us ~ who pay for cell phone service, internet connections, etc ~ they are not prohibitively expensive. They are extremely convenient, so regardless of whether you think you'll need one in the near future, consider obtaining one to have on hand. Renewing it every ten years (five in the case of your children) is not burdensome.

For more State Department information on the Western Hemisphere Initiative and what it entails, please see http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html. Let me know if you have any questions!

Edited by Colleen

There is a passport card available for non-air travel to/from Canada, Mexico, Caribbean and Bermuda. It is a bit cheaper but still pricey, IMO.

We were at the Passport office for 4.5 hours today so that my dh could renew his passport. And this place was packed. I'm too cheap to get a passport. Maybe this summer. :glare:

In December the children and I forgot passports crossing from Northern New York into Canada. We were not asked for ID going into Canada. Usually we are asked. On the way back the officer was not happy with me!!! I'm sure she found me on the computer, I have the same car, drivers license... The info form she gave me states you need passports or some special upgrade on your drivers license or your birth certificate and drivers license. Children need a birth certificate. It's time to start getting passports or one of the special document cards (a little cheaper but only good for Canada). Often they ask the children to open their windows and ask them a few questions. Who is driving the car? Who is next to you? Where do you live? Why aren't you in school? :lol: We have a no talking policy while at the border from the time we arrive until we have driven off unless you are spoken to by the officer. All in all I've never had real trouble. With NAFTA it's hard to buy too much stuff. Have fun! Also I clean all the junk out of the trunk so it's easier for them to check it.

Yes, you do. Actually, Canada might let you in without one, but the US won't let you back in without one. Birth certificates are no longer acceptable. ETA: your kids will all need them, too.

This isn't accurate. Not to quibble, but since there's so much misunderstanding about this I want to make sure we pass along the right info.:) See my post below.

Yes, after June 1 you need passports, not to get into Canada, but to get back through le nouveau rideau de fer. Papers. You must have your papers. :lol:

Papers, yes; passports, no. I don't know if people here are passing along hearsay, or whether they've encountered border agents who are essentially trying to enact a law before its time, but until June 1 of this year, an American citizen does not need a U.S. passport to re-enter the States by land or sea. Truly.:)

I've never been questioned when crossing the border with my children and without my husband. Vice versa is another story ~ guys bringing children with no women in tow. But on to another matter: Your dad (or dad-in-law) lives in Canada? And you come this way regularly to go up there? Without stopping to see me?!

Harrumph!

I will cease feeling bad on the rare occasion I pop down to T-town to see my parents and am not able to meet up with you.

:D

I've never been questioned when crossing the border with my children and without my husband. Vice versa is another story ~ guys bringing children with no women in tow. But on to another matter: Your dad (or dad-in-law) lives in Canada? And you come this way regularly to go up there? Without stopping to see me?!

Harrumph!

I will cease feeling bad on the rare occasion I pop down to T-town to see my parents and am not able to meet up with you.

:D

Well, we always wave when we drive past. "Hey, kids! That dairy woman lives over that way!"

I'm kidding. Actually, my dad has COPD and can't travel anymore. He lives in Honolulu half the year, usually, but I don't think he'll be back to Vancouver, probably ever. The last time we went up was almost two years ago. So I should have said, "We used to travel regularly." I'd love to go back up, though. My children are afraid I'll try to jerry-rig some way to bring home manure from your place, so a visit may take some convincing. Or some bribery.

Yeah, don't feel guilty about not stopping in here. Even though it's only, like, 10 minutes from your parents house.... :D

Oh, and just for the record, for the o.p., except for that one detainment, uh, thing, we generally have much more trouble getting back into the US than we ever do getting out....

I'm guessing this comes from experience. My personal experience with the US border guard was enough to remember my passport the next time, even if it wasn't required. I KNEW I should be fine getting back into the US, but he was a major pain in the neck and my dramatic sister wasn't making it any easier... :) Part of me just wonders if he was keeping us so long to just see her freak out and me start hissing at her to not say anything, anything at all... :)