Menu

substituting whole wheat flour for all purpose?

Has anyone substituted w.w. flour in recipes that call for all purpose flour? If so, did the recipe still come out well? I want to use my new grain mill more and I'm also trying to avoid processed white flour as much as possible. I have a recipe for cranberry banana bread so I was thinking of using the w.w. flour in place of the regular flour. Any thoughts??

I substitute whole wheat flour in many of my recipes. It usually turns out the best just to substitute a portion of it and not the whole amount. I usually replace 1 cup of whole wheat in a 3 cup recipe or up to half of the amount of flour called for in any given recipe. Thats just my general rule of thumb, but usually the best indicator is the taste that you get and if your family will actually eat it.

If you have hard wheat to grind, then that will work better for yeast breads. You can use it to replace AP flour, but you may end up with a heavier loaf than you want.

If you have soft wheat, you can definitely replace the AP flour with that. You may need to use a bit more flour since freshly ground flour has more air in it than the AP that's had a chance to settle. I usually use between 1 and 1 1/4 cup ww flour for 1 cup AP flour.

Has anyone substituted w.w. flour in recipes that call for all purpose flour? If so, did the recipe still come out well? I want to use my new grain mill more and I'm also trying to avoid processed white flour as much as possible. I have a recipe for cranberry banana bread so I was thinking of using the w.w. flour in place of the regular flour. Any thoughts??

Sometimes you have to tweak and experiment etc esp with liquids. I've had a lot of good luck mixing it up with whole wheat pastry flour (which is lighter) or organic unbleached mixed in with the WW.

I would start by substituting up to 1/2 of the all-purpose flour and gauge your family's reaction. That is how I modify most of my recipest that call for white flour. Going with all WW flour will be a drastic change in taste and texture. It would be like going from white pasta to whole wheat, or white rice to brown.

We only use WW flour but our kids have really never had white flour only products. Everyoneceandawhile I'll make something with only white flour but it is usually playdough. :) Seriously, they aren't used to white flour products. So for us it is a no-brainer. The only thing I do with recipes is to add the flour slowly - WW seems to soak up more liquid than white so I usually end up adding either less flour or more liquid.

Since you mentioned a banana bread recipe specifically . . . I have substituted 100% WW for all-purp in my banana bread recipe and it turns out great.

If you have soft wheat, you can definitely replace the AP flour with that. You may need to use a bit more flour since freshly ground flour has more air in it than the AP that's had a chance to settle. I usually use between 1 and 1 1/4 cup ww flour for 1 cup AP flour.

I read somewhere online that you should pack the soft wheat flour like you do brown sugar for this very reason. I recently made my first quick bread with fresh milled wheat and forgot to do this. Let's just say the results were off quite a bit. :001_huh: Kids still ate it, though! ;)

We are loving our Nutrimill! Hope you enjoy your grain mill, too!

I use 100% freshly ground wheat flour in all recipes, and we really like it! I think part of the reason it works well is because I use hard white wheat, which has a milder taste than the hard red.

I made banana bread tonight with all freshly ground whole wheat flour (yum!), and I often use it for waffles, pancakes, corn bread, tortillas, etc.! I have soft white too, but my family seems to prefer the hard white in everything!

I wouldn't do this with store-bought flour, but it's not because I'm prejudice -- just that we prefer the hard white to hard red.

I use 100% freshly ground wheat flour in all recipes, and we really like it! I think part of the reason it works well is because I use hard white wheat, which has a milder taste than the hard red.

I made banana bread tonight with all freshly ground whole wheat flour (yum!), and I often use it for waffles, pancakes, corn bread, tortillas, etc.! I have soft white too, but my family seems to prefer the hard white in everything!

I wouldn't do this with store-bought flour, but it's not because I'm prejudice -- just that we prefer the hard white to hard red.

I don't have access to the hard white kernels so I do use hard red. A while back I had an occasion where I used white flour to make cookies. My kids asked me what was wrong with them. I have to admit they seemed pasty.

I don't think this would work with ww flour bought from the grocery store.

My rule of thumb is when using yeast you can substitute hard wheat, and when using baking soda or baking powder substitute soft (pastry) wheat.

When we transitioned to whole wheat I tried making waffles with hard wheat, and it did NOT receive a very warm reception from my crew. That is when I learned the difference between hard and soft wheat.

Jennie

Can you make your own whole wheat pastry flour? I would assume so but I'm not sure what's the difference from the hard flour. I have used the w.w. pastry flour but I purchased it from the store. I hope it can be made at home also. I'm pretty sure that I purchased white kernels because I was told that the red had a stronger flavor.

Can you make your own whole wheat pastry flour? I would assume so but I'm not sure what's the difference from the hard flour. I have used the w.w. pastry flour but I purchased it from the store. I hope it can be made at home also. I'm pretty sure that I purchased white kernels because I was told that the red had a stronger flavor.

Yes, ww pastry flour is made at home by grinding soft wheat kernels. The difference between soft and hard kernels is the variety of wheat. Several different varieties are grown and they are used for different things and have different flavors. Soft wheat makes pastry flour and hard wheat gives you bread flour. I also prefer white wheat for bread. I buy wheat from my local co-op, but it can be purchased online through places like Walton Feed.

I think that in breads WW fresh flour is great! Chocolate Chip cookies, you can't even tell, and I feel so much healthier eating them! My mom got some really light WW berries last time...and the bread was so much lighter, my 4 year old (at the time) thought it wasn't Grammy's bread. (I cheat, my mom makes all of our bread.)

Carrie:-)