Menu

Somebody gave me a jug of sorghum for Christmas.

Lucky you! It is not like maple syrup. It's much thicker, usually. We mix it w/a little butter and spread it on biscuits or bread. There are recipes you can use it in--try Google? Or hope someone else chimes in!

My uncle makes it--grows the cane and everything. It's really cool to see it from stalk to finished product.

Yum!

Chelle

Molasses? That's the only sorghum I know...it's not like maple. Deeper, darker flavor, if that makes sense. Very, very thick. Growing up, we had it on biscuits. I'm sure there are a myriad of uses, but that's the only thing we used it for. :001_smile:

Off topic--My grandmother said that during the great depression, molasses was one of the only things that was plentiful. People ate it over cornbread when they had nothing else. (This is in the Deep South) It always makes me think of To Kill A Mockingbird when the poor little boy visits Scout and stays for dinner. They have a delicious meal of plenty, but the boy asks for the molasses and pours it all over the food. Scout screams at him but is hushed by Atticus who later explains why the boy did what he did.

If it's molasses, which is the only "sorghum" I know about too, then you can use it when you make bread or things like crepes. It keeps a long time, so you don't have to worry about it going bad. We also use it in our wiener bean pot, which is basically baked beans, molasses, sauteed onions, dried mustard...and beef wieners cut up in chunks....stuck in the oven and baked for an hour. Anyway, you use 1/4-1/2 cup of molasses...We make alot of it...cuz it's great as leftovers, too!

Carrie:-)

Molasses has a good long shelf life, but if you keep it in the fridge it will keep longer...and turn very thick. It is a *must* in gingerbread, and spiced cookies, gingersnaps, and things that require a stronger flavor. I personally don't use it as a spread because my mom made us use it on pancakes and it was too strong and think for me. I have heard of mixing a spoonfull in milk to add iron. A very natural and nutritious sweetener, just use it sparingly.

Ginger

...who once used a bowl of cold molasses and some plastic animals to simulate the La Brea Tarpits in California!