Menu

For the organizational gurus: questions concerning leftovers, labeling and glass....

(Here's yet another couple doofus question from me that will leave you scratching your heads, wondering how I could not know this stuff. If you're not wondering why anyone would care....)

Apparently everyone got the syllabus for homemaking 101 except me. Here's the thing. I just cleaned the refrigerator top to bottom, inside and out, and because it hadn't been done in a decade, it took 3 hours.

Sooo.... I'm thinking it would be a good idea to actually eat our leftovers, and it seems like labels would help in this department. What do you use? Masking tape with a marker? Does masking tape continue to stick in the freezer? Actual labels? But then how do you get the goop off? I'm sure there's some obvious answer I don't know. (As usual.)

I store most of our leftovers in glass canning jars with the plastic lids you can buy in the grocery store. I am thinking about picking up some of those glass refrigerator dishes. I saw a few old pyrex ones at an antique store yesterday, and they were drastically on sale. I know K-Mart has some too. If you've switched from plastic to glass, how do you store your empties? And if you label those leftovers, how do you do it?

Thank you for humoring me. And for your wisdom, too, of course!

I use Tupperware containers to store leftovers in the fridge & freezer. I love the ones that are hard plastic (supposedly same material as airplane windshields). I use freezer tape and a sharpie to mark what's in them and how many servings there are. As to the goop left on the plastic lids, it's very little. I don't even bother with it. Perhaps the dishwasher removes all traces.

I didn't need Homemaking 101. This is what my mom did eons ago. We used to laugh at her for it...

I use Tupperware containers to store leftovers in the fridge & freezer. I love the ones that are hard plastic (supposedly same material as airplane windshields). I use freezer tape and a sharpie to mark what's in them and how many servings there are. As to the goop left on the plastic lids, it's very little. I don't even bother with it. Perhaps the dishwasher removes all traces.

I didn't need Homemaking 101. This is what my mom did eons ago. We used to laugh at her for it...

See, your mom did the Homemaking 101, so there you have it! Or got it!

Sheesh. Woman, I didn't even know there was such a thing as freezer tape! Where do you get it?

I also use freezer tape at times, but I store almost all leftovers in glass canning jars, I have a vacuum sealer, so instead of the plastic lids I use the regular 2 part metal lid and ring. That way since I'll just throw the metal lid in the recycle bin, I just write directly on it.

If you want to try freezer tape I found it at the grocery store near the plastic storage bags, foil, etc.

I don't write on anything. I just keep a section of the fridge dedicated to leftovers - dh's corner LOL! - and I do a weekly clean out before grocery shopping. That said, I did dump a jar of chili that was....??????? old just y-day:tongue_smilie:

I use mason jars - and reuse the lids and rings. I also have plastic lids for my cereal-size bowls - Correl. I use those often, but prefer the glass mason jars b/c you can see in them.

Leftovers don't hang around long enough to require labelling. With two teen boys and a husband who all love leftovers, they're gone! Anything not eaten in a couple of days is not going to be eaten, so it's composted. But that doesn't happen very often.

When I cook in bulk and want to freeze, say, pumpkin puree or spaghetti sauce, I use freezer bags and write on them with a sharpie pen. I lay the bags flat so that they can be easily stacked in the freezer, and I pack them in either 2 or 4 serving size packs, or whatever will be required for cooking.

I store oats and other grains (wheat germ, bran, 8-grain cereal, etc) in canning jars in the fridge, and some things like that in the pantry. I use an electronic label maker to mark the glass jars.

I store leftovers in mason jars and vintage refrigerator containers (I-HEART-VINTAGE-PYREX). On the glass lids, I usually use a post-it flag and a piece of tape. On the jar lids, I just write on them directly. Even Sharpie can be scrubbed off. I reuse the lids, except for actual canning. When I can, either the lids are on jars in a new case, or I use a new pack, so I know they're good.

Actually, I also use quart and half-gallon jars to store my working pantry stuff - dried beans, fruit, grains, chocolate chips, medicinal herbs, baking soda - but I don't label them because it's pretty obvious what they are. ("Stash" stuff is kept in jar-ready amounts in vacuum bags)

I try to avoid storing things in the freezer in glass jars. We've had a few too many accidents with something falling out of the freezer when it was very full or someone was impatient or one handed. I use Rubbermaid containers instead.

I generally slap a label on things and stick them on with a piece of tape. I used to not label things at all because I could remember what was in the containers but I found that my husband never ate the leftovers because he didn't realize there were any. For some reason he wouldn't open containers and have a look when he didn't know what the contents were.

Once a week, usually the day before grocery shopping, I go through the refrigerator for a clean out.

Are you speaking of storing leftovers in the fridge or freezer?

We store all leftovers in the fridge. I put them in cheap plastic containers that are semi-transparent so I can see what the contents are (labeling seems like too much work). Then we try to use them up for lunches and/or sometimes another dinner. I try to keep a mental picture of what leftovers we have.

I used to be pretty strict about cleaning out the fridge just prior to going to the store, making sure it was clean and there were no science experiments lurking in the back before I load it up with more food. I've sort of fallen off the wagon lately--thanks for the reminder that I should clean out my fridge today!

If I do put something in the freezer, I use a freezer bag and write on it with a Sharpie.

(Here's yet another couple doofus question from me that will leave you scratching your heads, wondering how I could not know this stuff. If you're not wondering why anyone would care....)

Apparently everyone got the syllabus for homemaking 101 except me. Here's the thing. I just cleaned the refrigerator top to bottom, inside and out, and because it hadn't been done in a decade, it took 3 hours.

Sooo.... I'm thinking it would be a good idea to actually eat our leftovers, and it seems like labels would help in this department. What do you use? Masking tape with a marker? Does masking tape continue to stick in the freezer? Actual labels? But then how do you get the goop off? I'm sure there's some obvious answer I don't know. (As usual.)

I store most of our leftovers in glass canning jars with the plastic lids you can buy in the grocery store. I am thinking about picking up some of those glass refrigerator dishes. I saw a few old pyrex ones at an antique store yesterday, and they were drastically on sale. I know K-Mart has some too. If you've switched from plastic to glass, how do you store your empties? And if you label those leftovers, how do you do it?

Thank you for humoring me. And for your wisdom, too, of course!

We use the see-through Rubbermaid containers. No tape or labels. I don't think that would help us much, since the reason food goes bad is usually because it's been shoved way in the back and we all forgot about it.

Here's how we try to prevent that in our home. Dc take turns cooking, switching every week. It's their responsibility to dig through the frig and cabinets and see what needs to be cooked, pull out recipes for those foods and anything else they feel like cooking during their week, and make shopping lists for dh. This takes care of the fresh things, needing to be used up.

If it's already cooked, it's also their responsibility to sort through it every day and put it out on the counter so we are sure to see and eat it. They have no problem remembering to do this because it's a whole lot faster to pull out containers and plop them on the counter than it is to whip up a meal.;) Obviously, though, this depends on the food and the season - can't leave much out in the heat of summer, but most things can sit out when it's cold (our kitchen is unheated ... we rarely turn on the ancient propane heater).

We've been doing this for a year or two and it's worked well. It took some teaching time on my part in the beginning, but it has definitely been worth it. Now, the only reason food goes bad is because we didn't like the stuff in the first place (lousy recipe). :)

HTH.

I store leftovers in glass pyrex containers. You can write on them with crayola window markers. It comes off easy peasy when you wash them. The empty ones are stored with their lids on in a cabinet. I also use canning jars for dry storage again window markers work well on glass.

I store leftovers in glass pyrex containers. You can write on them with crayola window markers. It comes off easy peasy when you wash them. The empty ones are stored with their lids on in a cabinet. I also use canning jars for dry storage again window markers work well on glass.

You are too cool. That is WAY better than post-its and tape. Crayola window markers are now on the shopping list.

I love the window marker idea! I'll have to pick some up next time I'm out to get something.

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to actually eat our leftovers, and it seems like labels would help in this department.

I'll answer your stoopid questions if you answer mine!:D

Nah, you know I'm just kidding. Yours isn't a stoopid question but for the life of me I can't figure it out so apparently I'm missing something. Why would you need to label leftovers? Are you talking about leftovers (I refer to it as "pre-cooked food";)) that one simply keeps in the fridge for a day or two (or three)? Can't y'all just take a quick look-see and figure out what's in there?

I store most of our leftovers in glass canning jars with the plastic lids you can buy in the grocery store. I am thinking about picking up some of those glass refrigerator dishes. I saw a few old pyrex ones at an antique store yesterday, and they were drastically on sale.

Again, I'm confuzzed. I don't see why you need to buy anything else. I put the leftovers ~ ahem, "pre-cooked food" ~ in a regular ol' dish and stick in the fridge. It can be reheated in the same dish. I cover it with either a piece of paper towel or some aluminum foil (I buy recycled foil and then reuse each piece myself approximately 427 times:tongue_smilie:) or a plate or whatever.

Does that help? Or am I way off the mark and what you're talking about here is freezer storage? Help me out.

I don't normally label leftovers, but I put mine in clear containers so that I can see them. Normally everything gets tossed at the end of the weekend. (We try and eat up most of the leftovers during the weekend.)

When I do label, I either Sharpie on a plastic bag or use my Dymo Label Maker.

:)