Menu

Can anyone help with a Sewing search and questions?

1. The Search -- I'm looking for E.a.s.y! sewing patterns for me to sew for a 9 year old girl. I can follow a simple pattern (or at least I should say that I have managed to follow a simple pattern . . . twice). I thought that there might be someone out there who had compiled a list of easy to follow/sew girls' patterns. I can't find one, though. Can you help with that?

2. I'd like a real work-horse pattern. One that is easy but also has potential for multiple seasons and multiple (and yet simple) options. Example: one pattern to include skirt with long and short options, top with short sleeve and long sleeve options, accessories. Do you know of one of those?

3. I am looking for patterns that are actually easy to sew, not necessarily patters that are easy to sew only if you're a professional seamstress/tailor. do you know of any of those?

4. I really, really, really, want to be successful. I would dearly love to make some nice, cute, functional outfits (dresses, skirts, et c.) for my daughter that she'll like. She dearly loves the things that I do make and saves them so carefully and lovingly that it truly touches my heart. When she was smaller I could just lay a dress out onto a doubled piece of fabric, cut it out, stitch it together and hem but now she's too big so I need to actually start following patterns. I've done a couple of All Saints costumes that followed a pattern. They were truly simple: tunics and wraps. Do you know of any sites and patterns that will help me be successful?

. . . fingers crossed!

There are lots of easy patterns out there. I haven't got a list, but really all you have to do is go to the fabric store and look at the pattern books; some will be labeled "It's so easy" or "See & sew" or "2-hour pattern" and so on. Many of these simple patterns come with a bunch of variations, so that you can make 6 or 8 dresses from one pattern--for example this McCall's pattern can be made very simply indeed, or you can add patch pockets, a collar, sleeves etc.

Simplicity has come out with a couple of 'learner' patterns for kids, with very detailed instructions that tell you everything you need to know. I bought these simple jammy pants for my daughter to sew and am very pleased with the pattern. So you might like that.

Pajama pants are super-easy (my 8 yo made a pair, w/some help, for her 5 yo brother). You can make them more special with fun trims around the bottoms, holiday fabrics (hearts for Valentine's day, for instance) or a cute top. A fleece robe would also be cute and easy.

For a 9 yo, some jumpers would be really cute. You could make them out of different fabrics and put different tops under them for variety. A velvet version for winter, denim for summer, for instance. You also could do different shapes or trimmed pockets.

That's really sweet that your daughter appreciates your efforts.

Terri

There are lots of easy patterns out there. I haven't got a list, but really all you have to do is go to the fabric store and look at the pattern books; some will be labeled "It's so easy" or "See & sew" or "2-hour pattern" and so on. Many of these simple patterns come with a bunch of variations, so that you can make 6 or 8 dresses from one pattern--for example this McCall's pattern can be made very simply indeed, or you can add patch pockets, a collar, sleeves etc.

Simplicity has come out with a couple of 'learner' patterns for kids, with very detailed instructions that tell you everything you need to know. I bought these simple jammy pants for my daughter to sew and am very pleased with the pattern. So you might like that.

I love that dress and hat. Love them. Do you really think that it's easy for a beginner? I'm going to give it a try I think. I'm going to give it a look. Maybe I could make it in corduroy and she could wear a turtle-neck under. Do you know if courd is hard to sew with? Is that a beginner fabric?

Pajama pants are super-easy (my 8 yo made a pair, w/some help, for her 5 yo brother). You can make them more special with fun trims around the bottoms, holiday fabrics (hearts for Valentine's day, for instance) or a cute top. A fleece robe would also be cute and easy.

For a 9 yo, some jumpers would be really cute. You could make them out of different fabrics and put different tops under them for variety. A velvet version for winter, denim for summer, for instance. You also could do different shapes or trimmed pockets.

That's really sweet that your daughter appreciates your efforts.

Terri

Thanks, Terri, I'm goiing to try a jumpery kind of dress and see. I hope it works!

I highly recommend the Kwik Sew books, such as:

Kwik Sew's Sewing for Children by Kerstin Martensson

Don't be put off by the tacky, outdated photos. There are some great items that you will use again and again.

Right, indeed, those are tacky, outdated photos but boy are the reviews positive! I'm looking for it through library now b/f I commit to the purchase.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I love that dress and hat. Love them. Do you really think that it's easy for a beginner? I'm going to give it a try I think. I'm going to give it a look. Maybe I could make it in corduroy and she could wear a turtle-neck under. Do you know if courd is hard to sew with? Is that a beginner fabric?

Corduroy has nap so you have to exercise some caution when you cut it out otherwise your garment will look peculiar. You also have to iron corduroy carefully. Here is an article from Threads magazine that may help you.

If you choose to sew corduroy, I would go with a simple pattern--just a few basic lines.

Good luck.

Jane

Check out Pattern Review too (sewing.patternreview.com); there are lots of positive reviews for various KwikSew books. I have the one for toddlers; I hate the photos but have made some super cute outfits for my daughter from it. Use it for the basics (like pants and shirt). The directions are very good. You can buy it used. The good thing is, you trace the patterns so you can get multiple sizes of multiple garments, plus detailed sewing directions (much more than any pattern insert) for about $12 or whatever, with shipping.

I took a look at it--I have it here--and it is very simple. The bodice has facings, and is not lined, which means you will have to do a little work around the armholes for a sleeveless version; you should buy some thin cotton that matches your corduroy to use for facings, since cord is thick and would be a pain. (If you get a solid cord, you could choose a cute floral or stripe cotton and put it in the hat too!) The only other thing is the buttonholes, which most people like better than zippers. Just mark them clearly and go slowly.

Corduroy has a nap and you have to cut all the pieces out pointing the same way, so be sure to figure for that. It's pretty easy to work with otherwise, but it does tend to move a little while you sew; you have to be firm with it, but don't fret if it goes a little off. :001_smile: It's way easier than velveteen, though!