Menu

What age to start piano lessons? What price?

Just wondering. I mentioned in another thread that it was suggested by a piano teacher that my son was a good age to start (almost 6). She charges $120.00 a month for 4 half hour lessons. 25 minutes for my ds, 5 minutes for me.

I would like my kids to start piano and I have it in my mind that first grade is a good time to start. I may start in September when my son will be 6 1/2. My daughter is 4 1/2 and there is NO way she could do piano lessons but I bet there are 4 year olds out there doing well! :)

What do you you all do for your family?

I started my oldest two when they were 5 1/2... my 3rd child probably won't start until he's 6. We pay $100 a month per child. Although, I'd really like to find someone who would come to our house... especially when we have 3 or more taking piano...

We start around 6, although it might have been 5 1/2-5 3/4 for my second two boys (I don't really remember).

We pay $20/hour. The boys are divided up in that time however the teacher sees fit (so some weeks one might have a longer lesson than the other 2).

My older two started Suzuki piano at 5, the younger one at 4 (but only because she'd already taught herself all the beginning songs, so it seemed silly to delay her any longer). Our teacher charges $30/half hour - that's probably not the very cheapest around, but also not out of line. We live in an expensive area of the country. :glare:

When you start at 5 or 6 most kids reach a point of frustration after about a year. Their coordination and ability to play isn't progressing real fast. I know that some really talented kids are an exception but I've found most kids progress a lot faster and a little happier if they wait until 2nd or even 3rd grade. At the younger ages they really need a parent or teacher next to them almost the whole time. Just some thoughts since every child is different!

Prices vary greatly with where you live and the teacher's experience. Unless a child is asking for lessons on their own and going to the piano to "practice" on their own almost daily, I'd wait until 6 or even 7 before taking lessons. I once taught a boy who wasn't yet 5, but he fell into that category. Since I went to their house to teach his sister already, I started giving him a 15 minute lesson right before his sister, which was good because he was so wiggly. He was brilliant, and made great progress even with a short lesson.

Most of my 6 yo students were quite wiggly, but most settled down by 7 (or second grade.)

That is on the high end of the price range ($30/half hour) so either you live in an expensive area, that is a super, duper, fabulous teacher, or the teacher is overpriced.

We started my younger son at 7 and he needed me to sit next to him and encourage him and keep him on track or his attention would wander. We started my older son at 11 and were surprised at how quickly he took to it, no hand-holding needed. And this child was the one who needed a ton of external structure and support in his younger homeschooling days. He has quickly reached the same level as his younger brother who has been taking lessons for almost 3 years.

I credit his competitive spirit for the drive to want to play as well as his little brother for DS1's sprint to play well. He practices a lot on his own, in little spurts throughout the day.

Almost forgot! Both boys worked through Music Ace Deluxe before they started lessons. It came highly recommended by some smart homeschooling moms I knew of [looking around at the Hive fondly]. It jump-started their familiarity with music theory.

I also side with those who say wait a little. A couple more years maturity will make things much easier, and they won't end up "behind" in any sense at all. I waited for my ds, and I am so glad I did. I dealt with lots of guilt because of my own decision to wait (ds is EXTREMELY musical, perfect pitch, could play by ear from age 4), but I just felt it was the right thing to do. His fine motor skills needed the time, & his maturity level needed the time. He started just before turning 8, with an amazing master teacher who was SO glad I waited. He took off immediately, and plays fabulously now, at age 12. I have no regrets, even with a musically gifted child. The price you quoted seems reasonable, at least according to where we live. There are probably locations and/or teachers that would be less, but its about what we pay. Good luck with your decisions!

Kayleen

I've heard that kids should be reading well before starting piano. My ds started almost a year ago, right after he turned 6. I'm happy with that decision and his progress this year, but I do have to sit with him the whole time he practices and instruct him or keep him focused.

I really like his piano instructor. She sat with him for a test lesson prior to getting started, and thought he was ready. She is very patient with his short attention span and his wigglies, but stays firm and I appreciate that! She charges $70 for four 30 min lessons at her home.

I'm now trying to decided whether to start my 2nd son or wait a while. He is only 4.5 but reading decently. I think he would have a better attention span and talk less than his brother. :)

I've heard that kids should be reading well before starting piano. :)

Never heard this before. I think it depends on when they can sit still and pay attention. Our teacher recommends 5.

We started at 5, $105/mo ($5 is tax).

Edited by Alaska Mom

I prefer to wait until at least age 7, or even 8 depending on the child. Most children can use the extra couple of years to gain coordination, but more importantly, imo, they're more capable of being independent students at this point. Remember, a child (or young adult) who starts at a later age is not going to be "behind".

All three of my older boys take piano lessons and never once have I had to ask/tell them to practice, much less sat with them while they do so. I play myself and if I wanted to teach them, I'd do that and save my money. But I don't want to. I have no desire whatsoever to be involved in that aspect of their education because I simply don't have the patience. I pay someone else to do that job and I don't want to babysit my boys while they keep up their end of the deal.

As for price, that really does vary significantly. Our instructor's rates are quite reasonable given her training in piano pedagogy and higher level degrees. She charges what equates to $20 per hour.

I started my DD at 7 and DS at almost 6. The only reason I started DS that young was becuase we were there and doing it already. He does not have the attention span or interest that DD has, but my expectations are different for him at this age. They both play well (you know - for a beginner 6 and 7 year old, LOL!) and the theory lessons have been fabulous. We have a very sweet, gentle teacher and I think that helps a lot. I can see why 7 or 8 would be a better age to start - 7's been a great fit for DD.

Very interesting range here! I am still thinking september for my son but I may wait for second grade. The one thing that concerns me is he wants to do it now and I'm a little worried he'll lose that interest.

Could you do some type of group music class in the interim to keep him interested in music?

When it comes to reading well (as someone mentioned) I think they don't have to be reading, but they have to be ready to read. However, my ds, who was NOT ready to read at 5, had no trouble with music notes and rhythms (he could clap any rhythm I made with note flashcards in a heartbeat) or with reading numbers, so there is variation.

If he really, really wants to do it, then I would go for it in September if you can afford it. I love the idea of the 5 minutes of the lesson time set aside just for you. What I did was encourage parents to be watching, but many teachers say it holds students back. Most of the parents didn't watch, so I'd always explain what the younger students had to practise and how because young dc usually need some supervision in that area.

But, as I said, you cannot cost compare over the country. What piano teachers get where I live now is the same as what many teachers were getting where I used to teach 20 years ago.