Menu

Options for Greek?

My ds (10yo) is in his 4th year of Latin (we did PL, LCI, LCII and we are now in Henle). This year I started a gentle introduction to Greek with The Greek Alphabeterion and Hupogrammon. We are nearly finished with it and I am debating where to go next. All I am really aware of is Elementary Greek and Hey Andrew.

1. Are there any other programs out there I should consider for beginning Greek?

2. Any reviews on any of the Greek programs would be greatly appreciated as I need to make a decision very soon (and I have procrastinated). :D

Galore Park distributes a beginner's greek programme. They don't have a sample on the site, so if you are interested, I can tell you what's in it. There's no answer book to go with it, but it's quite simple. We are studying it while we wait for GP to come out with their own Greek programme (due this year sometime), which should be a much more serious and meaty affair.

The exchange rate has improved for US purchasers. £6.50 for Greek for Beginners is currently about USD 9.50. You'd have to pay postage, but the book is thin. You could also ask at horriblebooks.com to see if they can get it for you.

Both the books I describe here are classical, rather than Koine, Greek.

Best wishes

Laura

Here is a recent thread about it:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71657

Since your son is older and experienced in languages you might take a look at Mounce's program. I got it for myself but my lack of grammar had me lost really quickly. But if your son is doing a great grammar program like R&S, he/you might be able to handle it.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mounce&x=0&y=0

• 4 weeks later...
Galore Park distributes a beginner's greek programme. They don't have a sample on the site, so if you are interested, I can tell you what's in it. There's no answer book to go with it, but it's quite simple. We are studying it while we wait for GP to come out with their own Greek programme (due this year sometime), which should be a much more serious and meaty affair.

When this meatier affair comes out, please do review it, and (selfish me, with a child younger than yours) let us know what age the above program is good for, as compared to the meatier affair.

When this meatier affair comes out, please do review it, and (selfish me, with a child younger than yours) let us know what age the above program is good for, as compared to the meatier affair.

It really depends how willing and able your child is to memorise. I can imagine a situation in which learning 24 forms of the word 'the' might be too much for a young child. Hobbes is somewhat obsessed with learning the language, so we ploughed on through. I would say that age eight is about the youngest that I would recommend using it; for a less obsessive child, closer to ten.

About ten is also the normal age I recommend starting Latin Prep, so I suspect that Greek Prep will be similar. Once Greek Prep has been published, I suspect that there won't be a good reason to use beginner's Greek: better to stick with Greek Prep and just take it slowly if necessary.

Yes, I'll post a review of Greek Prep once I have my sweaty hands on a copy.

Laura