Menu

Remember when I asked about literature curriculum and getting my kids to read more

Carpe Diem

I announced last night that starting 2009 the children had to complete piano practice and silent reading of a book outside of our homeschooling prior to an electronic time. Wow. You should of heard the complaints. The 7 year old was sort of for the idea. She only has to do 15 minutes of each which is a challenge for her. The 11 yo was very dead set against it. Lots of tears and complaints of having a rule in our house. Apparently she thinks no one else has rules. She has to do 30 minutes of each which is easy for her but she just does not want me giving her a "rule". She says "why didn't you start this when I was three, then I would be use to it. You can't just make up a rule now!"

Am I mean?

So, wish me luck in standing firm. I hope I did the right thing.

This is absolutely not mean and I warn you not to cave. Oh, how I wish I hadn't. You'll start a cycle of you setting rules, them whining, and you caving. If you stick to your guns now about relatively easy stuff, then the harder stuff will be more easily implemented later.

Just my hard learned opinion.

Julie

That sounds like a good idea. I should have that rule but have it before play time. School work, piano practice, silent reading, then play. I just never seem to get the silent reading in but this just may work.:D I just can't wait till I tell my girls. I've upped my expectations for the oldest as far as school work goes and she's the only one old enough for piano lessons so this should make her feel extra special. :cheers2:

My 10.5 yr old, when I make a new rule or hand down a proclamation, gets really bent out of shape "When did this start??!!" or " Since when and for how long??!!" maybe it's an age thing? (See previous posts on the 9-12 year old stages)

You sound like a really mean mom! Way to go!:)

If your children found out the rules in some of our homes - they'd be very happy to rather stick with yours !

Haha, same here! We have a "no electronics of any type until ALL schoolwork is completed" rule here. That goes for everyone. Unless I have planned for them to watch the occasional science video or something, but I'm the only one that can bend it. :D

Tell your kids about us, they'll think you're GREAT! :lol:

At our house here's how screen time is earned ---

The kids each have 3 sets of chores per day. VERY easy, age appropriate, completion expectations are reasonable.

Set one is feed the dog or gather laundry (they rotate), get dressed, clean up your room (toys in toy box, books on bookshelf, straighten bed - no perfection here, just basics, VERY simple).

Set two is after breakfast - take vitamin, brush teeth, school work and piano.

Set three is dinner time - set table, clear table, clean up floor.

Each set takes about 10 minutes, minus the school and piano time. I mostly put them on the "chore" list to make sure they were getting done, LOL!

For each set done - the kids get a ticket (we use Accountable Kids to manage it all and I LOVE it). For 5 tickets they can buy screen time - 30 minutes of TV or a video game. If they don't earn their tickets that day - they can't spend any. They can lose them for attitudes, etc. It is VERY effective. All I tell the kids is "knock out your chores" and they do it. It's awesome. And screen time is not a big issue here since the standards are so clear. I know we are very strict about screen time, but it works really well for us. So, no, you're not strict. You are the mom - you are the parent - they'll be OK. :)

I knew I wasn't being too strict!!! I was almost embarrassed to log it on the forum. I was mostly worried about the piano issue, if insisting that practice happens (even if it is just a bit) would that make them resent the piano/lose interest.

My oldest has apologized for her antics which was sweet, but she then asked if she could please schedule her reading for 1:30 but still be allowed to have some time prior to that for an electronics break from homeschooling. She is rigid about wanting things scheduled just so and in her mind she should have a 10-15 minute break in the a.m. Is she just trying to wear me down already so soon? Or should I let her earn her am break from her work from the day before?

Thanks for your replies. I enjoyed reading them!!!

My oldest has apologized for her antics which was sweet, but she then asked if she could please schedule her reading for 1:30 but still be allowed to have some time prior to that for an electronics break from homeschooling. She is rigid about wanting things scheduled just so and in her mind she should have a 10-15 minute break in the a.m. Is she just trying to wear me down already so soon? Or should I let her earn her am break from her work from the day before?

It sounds very reasonable the way you put it, but I know for a fact that this is the way my dd has gotten away with so much over the years. She is good at negotiating and it usually wears me down. Could you tie the piano practice to the morning break? She practices 15 minutes and then gets 15 minutes of screen time. Then the rest can be after the reading part is completed.

I will usually allow my dd to negotiate as long as her attitude is good and she is respectful of the final decision that I make. If she starts whining or rolling her eyes, etc. then the answer is automatically no.

Hope you work it out.

My oldest has apologized for her antics which was sweet, but

That is sweet, but if it were up to me, No.

If my kids need a break, then it has to be physical, something to get the heart pumping. Run around outside, ride their bikes for ten minutes, play ball etc.

If it helps, tell them how mean I am. We don't let the kids have electronics at all during the school week. Only 2 hours on the weekends. We gradually got here from the TV or video games being on pretty much all day every day 1 1/2 years ago. We first went to dvds only, then no TV or video games period-they were taking advantage of the rules and just watching dvds all day, so we made them go cold turkey. The toddler gets to watch noggin some during the day, and they will watch football at night with their dad some, but video games are for weekends and school breaks only. Otherwise, it just gets out of control.