Menu

We're planning a trip to CA. I need some input...

Okay so we aren't going until next May, but I'd like some ideas so we can at least start the planning phase.

We are leaving Louisiana, and want to include the Grand Canyon, Sequoia National Forest, Yosemite (possibly) and King's Canyon (possibly). Our main destination is the Pacific Coast but we don't really know the best place to actually GO.

We are also wondering if we should incorporate any time in New Mexico (coming or going).

There are 2 routes we can see thus far. One goes through San Antonio and one through Dallas. Obviously, the first one misses NM, though we've heard the driving is better that way (not as much empty area). We'd like to know which is better, and I would like to spend a day in San Antonio too if possible.

We're planning on about 15-16 days, and will plan to camp some nights and do some hotels (or stay with any fun WTM folks if they want to offer us a bed for a night!!)

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to do this trip?

There are 2 routes we can see thus far. One goes through San Antonio and one through Dallas. Obviously, the first one misses NM, though we've heard the driving is better that way (not as much empty area). We'd like to know which is better, and I would like to spend a day in San Antonio too if possible.

Here's the thing: If you take I-10 through San Antonio, you get to see the Alamo and the Riverwalk, but you end up driving through the longest, most boring part of Texas. BTDT.

You could come into San Antonio, then drive north on I-35 to Dallas and go west. Actually, you can take one of the smaller north-bound roads that will go west and miss Dallas; it will save you some miles, too.

Ummm, you might want to pull out a map. You can't miss New Mexico driving due west from Louisiana unless you somehow take a big jog north. :D And no matter what, you'll have long swaths of Texas to drive through!

How do I know this? Growing up in NM and having to drive to Mississippi and back many a summer to visit the grandparents!

I-40 is a busy highway, but it will take you through Albuquerque. There's great mountains in the area, some good museums from the Pueblo Cultural Center to the Atomic museum. And, New Mexican food is a different sort of Mexican food than you'll find in Texas or Califonia -- definitely worth a try. You'll also go through Navajo country as you drive further west, with cool Arizona places like Painted Desert and the Meteor Crater.

I've heard from friends that the towns along I-10 are virtual ghost towns in New Mexico. Alamogordo has a space museum, and the White Sands area is along that route, an interesting site to see. Roswell is off the interstate, I think, but there's the allure of UFOs and space aliens -- if that's your cup of tea!!

Also along the I-10, Tucson has lots of great things to see like the Kartchner caverns. And the California coast is wonderful, of course, worth the drive!

We just left Monterey Bay (we lived there for 1 year) and I miss it so much. It's a wonderful place to visit if you can get there.

And try as hard as you can to get to Yosemite NP. It's amazing! If you plan on camping there, book in advance!!! Go to the NP web-page and follow instructions on how to get a campsite. We visited Yosemite twice while we lived in CA and it won't be soon enough till we can go back. May is a fabulous month to go because the crowds aren't too bad and the waterfalls are roaring.

vote for booking WAAAY in advance for Yosemite if you go there. It fills up fast and it's wonderful. So many fun things to do there.

I love Santa Cruz, too. (I lived there for nearly a decade). You can visit several redwood forests with trails right around the city, the downtown has lots of fun little boutiques, there's the boardwalk, and all the lovely beaches....

Sigh. Wish I was heading there soon.

We lived in Santa Cruz too. Where were you Jenniferslost? We lived 7yrs in Santa Cruz and 7 in Soquel. I REALLY miss it too. There isn't an ocean anywhere near here. We moved away last year. Boo Hoo. Large lakes come kinda close for me, but there is no place like Santa Cruz, ocean and red wood mountains minutes away.

We just moved TO Santa Cruz! I've also lived in New Orleans, so we've done the big drive. I'm really not sure about between you and Cali, because we've only ever driven it straight, with no sight seeing. Once you're here, I think Yosemite is a can't miss. It's literally at the top of my list. If you aim for Santa Cruz, you can visit Henry Cowell State Park. There are redwoods here that are over 1000 years old. Henry Cowell is right next to a railroad (I'm totally blanking on the name of it right now) that does tours through the mountain. They also have a train that brings you right down to the boardwalk in Santa Cruz. The boardwalk is a beach side amusement park. In Monterey (about 45 min from here), there is a wonderful aquarium. You can also hit San Francisco in a little over an hour drive.

I grew up in So Cal. If I were visiting, I think Nor Cal is the place to go. Southern Cali has plenty of amusement parks, but it's a concrete jungle. Nor Cal is just BEAUTIFUL. hth,