Menu

Dr Hive-prediabetes/peri

I am going in tomorrow for My physical. Long story short, since January I have had a rash that has reoccurred three times, on My last visit the PA mentioned it could be a sign of type 2, but that otherwise I didn't for the profile. I told her that I would check my fasting glucose and let her know since I saw her in the afternoon. It was just barely over. I have been monitoring it for a few weeks now and it generally is above 100 and sometimes just under 120. I have gone on walks in the morning and tested before and after walking (still fasting) and generally it rises 5-7 points. The opposite of what it should do of course. The thing is I am not symptomatic at all except for my PA talking aloud about possible rash causes we never would have checked.  

I have do have Crohn's (since age 3). And another autoimmune condition whose name escapes me, but autoimmune issues tend to run in packs. 

I got an IUD in the fall and that has helped bleeding issues, but I feel like I am in peri. I am wondering if that hormone change has contributed to the glucose issue. Oh and the insomnia. It's been better but I never know when the pendulum will swing. 

All that to say, what else might be going on? What labs should I see if they will run? 

I will probably delete later if I remember (brain fog is fun, lol)

Edited by LifeLovePassion

It’s incredibly normal for someone with high blood sugar to have the number rise when exercising. Your liver has stored carbs and dumps them in your blood to use them up. 

It often does the same thing in the morning, hence high fasting numbers. Though high fasting numbers can also be higher due to stress, not enough sleep, or simply consuming caffeine the day before. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, City Mouse said:

I will warn you that when my dad was diagnosed as having Type2 diabetes, it was because is fasting glucose would not go below 100 even though his A1C was ok. 

What sort of action did he have to take to manage it?

3 hours ago, Katy said:

It’s incredibly normal for someone with high blood sugar to have the number rise when exercising. Your liver has stored carbs and dumps them in your blood to use them up. 

It often does the same thing in the morning, hence high fasting numbers. Though high fasting numbers can also be higher due to stress, not enough sleep, or simply consuming caffeine the day before. 

Yes, and particularly if you exercise without eating. 

5 hours ago, Katy said:

Does that mean the liver is malfunctioning or not necessarily?

9 hours ago, LifeLovePassion said:

It’s the pancreas that controls insulin. The fact that your fasting numbers are between 100-120 does indicate pre-diabetes. You should have a fasting glucose and a A1C done at your doctors. In my experience you have some insulin resistance ( your insulin is not taking care of the blood sugar properly) At this point you will want to work on keeping your sugar levels down so you don’t wear out the pancreas. ( it wears out bc the insulin isn’t taking care of the sugar so it pumps out more insulin and gets exhausted)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LifeLovePassion said:

No, it’s releasing stored glucose to use just as it is supposed to. If you fast and exercise your blood sugar will go up slightly before it goes down. If you keep doing it, most type 2 diabetes will reverse eventually. Dr Jason Fung has a bunch of videos about this on YouTube. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Katy said:

No, it’s releasing stored glucose to use just as it is supposed to. If you fast and exercise your blood sugar will go up slightly before it goes down. If you keep doing it, most type 2 diabetes will reverse eventually. Dr Jason Fung has a bunch of videos about this on YouTube. 

I only ask because I have previously been on medication where they did regular liver function tests. It was over a decade ago and I don't remember which one, but it is in the back of my mind. 

Doc is running lots of labs so maybe more insight will be gained. 

• Like 2

Glad you're getting bloodwork done. I hope you find out some answers to your questions. That's a lot of health issues to be dealing with. Perimenopause can be really rough without the added burden of auto-immune issues. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, LifeLovePassion said:

What sort of action did he have to take to manage it?

For a long time, all he did was commit to walking at least miles per day and watching what he ate. Eventually he did end up on insulin, but that was after much physical decline that prevented him from walking and memory issues that impacted his food choices.