Menu

Using Chat GPT to Get Annoying Things Done

I started a thread over on the high school board about using Chat GPT to help me finish writing course descriptions for my son who graduated in May.

Now I'm thinking of other annoying tasks that I can have it help me with. I just asked it to write a resume entry about my YT channel, and it gave me a good place to start. (Of course, I'm going to use the entry and the course descriptions more like templates and will edit them.)

A few weeks ago I had it suggest a weekly chores list for the kids. I already have one, so I really just did it out of curiosity. It did a pretty good job. If something happened to me, I think it could help DH in thinking of what needs to be done to keep the house reasonably presentable.

What other things can I pawn off on it?

I ask it for meal ideas with certain parameters. For example a certain amount of protein each day or meals that take under 20 minutes to cook. It will also generate a shopping list from those meals. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JumpyTheFrog said:

I started a thread over on the high school board about using Chat GPT to help me finish writing course descriptions for my son who graduated in May.

Now I'm thinking of other annoying tasks that I can have it help me with. I just asked it to write a resume entry about my YT channel, and it gave me a good place to start. (Of course, I'm going to use the entry and the course descriptions more like templates and will edit them.)

A few weeks ago I had it suggest a weekly chores list for the kids. I already have one, so I really just did it out of curiosity. It did a pretty good job. If something happened to me, I think it could help DH in thinking of what needs to be done to keep the house reasonably presentable.

What other things can I pawn off on it?

8 hours ago, amiesmom said:

I ask it for meal ideas with certain parameters. For example a certain amount of protein each day or meals that take under 20 minutes to cook. It will also generate a shopping list from those meals. 

I’ve heard of chat gpt, but wouldn’t know where to start. If it can do these things, it might be able to help me with a work project 

Edited by saraha
  • Like 2

DD has used it when she has had ingredients X, Y, and Z in her fridge to ask it for a menu to use those items.  DD is a good, creative cook who did this out of curiosity, and thought the results ChatGPT gave her were reasonably good.  

• Like 3

I used it to write a cover letter, to write a recommendation letter for a friend, and write outlines for projects for my students. Oh, I've also used it to generate reading passages at specific grade levels (who knows if it's accurate, but it seemed good), and make rubrics for grading student work. 

I love it! Even if you don't take what it's written word for word, it still gives you a good starting point. For the recommendation letter, I just had to tweak it a little bit instead of spending hours coming up with every single idea. I could use the general format and add some specific details, and boom, done.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, saraha said:

I’ve heard of chat gpt, but wouldn’t know where to start. If it can do these things, it might be able to help me with a work project 

https://chatgpt.com/

It may take a bit of practice to get it to answer how you want it to answer, but I just start by asking it a question. This is what I asked it for a work project last week: 

"Good morning! One of the projects I'm working on for the upcoming school year is creating a quick writing assessment for the district. We want to have a writing prompt "check in" across grades. At first I thought we could do this monthly, but now I'm wondering if it should be 3x per year? And I wonder if K is too young to start this as in September, we'd be only able to ask them to write their name or to write down the letters that they know. The purpose of this is to collect the samples from across the district (we are K-12) and look at all of the student writing collectively. We are also hoping that this could be used to help ELA teachers calibrate their writing grading. What would you recommend for implementation/roll out?" 

And it came back with this: 

"Creating a district-wide writing assessment across grades K-12 is a great idea for both collecting writing samples and helping ELA teachers calibrate their grading. Here's a detailed plan for implementation and rollout, along with recommendations on frequency and considerations for younger students:"

Followed by a roll out plan, considerations for K (since I had asked about it specifically), timeline and frequency, and then asked me if I wanted a more detailed plan. When I said yes, it gave me writing prompts for each grade cluster, rubric ideas, teacher guidelines and progress monitoring set up information. THEN it asked me if I wanted it to create the progress monitoring forms in google and if I needed tweaks to anything. 

It's a good jumping off point but giving it as much detail as you can helps. Some of the prompts it came up with were asking for longer pieces of writing than I wanted, so I am going to have it work on creating shorter assignments that don't involve research - we're looking for a quick assessment that kind of takes the temperature of student writing and allows teachers to work together to grade and decide what "good writing" looks like. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bootsie said:

DD has used it when she has had ingredients X, Y, and Z in her fridge to ask it for a menu to use those items.  

I tried this for lunch today. I had a large sweet potato, half a bag of baby carrots, and a large piece of ginger to use up. First it suggested a soup, so I told it no soup. Then it suggested a stir-fry (which was what I was planning on making anyway). I tried its recipe and it was fairly good. I'd spice it up more myself, but it was good enough. It said to add rice vinegar, which I had already and wouldn't have thought of using.

6 hours ago, Kanin said:

I used it to write a cover letter, to write a recommendation letter for a friend, and write outlines for projects for my students. Oh, I've also used it to generate reading passages at specific grade levels (who knows if it's accurate, but it seemed good), and make rubrics for grading student work. 

I like these ideas. I've never had to write a recommendation letter, but if I ever need to, I will definitely try Chat GPT first instead of spending time googling examples letters.

I've been playing around with it asking for band suggestions. I also had it made a 10th grade literature list. I told it to modify the results to remove the romance stuff to make it something boys would like. It removed Pride and Prejudice and replaced it with Treasure Island.

5 minutes ago, JumpyTheFrog said:

I also had it made a 10th grade literature list. I told it to modify the results to remove the romance stuff to make it something boys would like. It removed Pride and Prejudice and replaced it with Treasure Island.

Treasure Island is considered 10th grade level?

Edited by regentrude

Revenge is a dish best served by AI?

My friend is the Chair of a board which hired a new CEO for the organization. Same friend had applied for the job and was assured by the whole search committee that they were thrilled with her application, hinted it was in the bag for her, etc. A perfectly qualified young man ended up with the job, likely the choice of an extremely wealthy and influential Board member. It was up to my friend to write a gracious welcome-to-the-community letter and newspaper article about him. She had ChatGPT write it and enjoyed a tiny, petty moment of revenge over not getting the job and having the search committee mislead her.

Edited by Eos
  • Like 1