Menu

Invited to a “shower”

saraha

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Interesting, when I think of a housewarming party, the people invited are people you know already, who come to see the new digs. Not new neighbors. 

That's how I know it, too. Usually,  the folks who have the housewarming have all the stuff because they lived somewhere before. Last time, I brought bread and salt for the friend who had her housewarming, which is traditional in some other countries.

I'd absolutely contribute to the household of a young person, but they typically don't have housewarming parties.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Same here. I think of the Welcome Wagon when I think of new neighbors stopping by with stuff. 

Does Welcome Wagon even still exist? I have no idea! 

I have heard of the term, but not sure how it would be used around here. Maybe what people term here as a house warming is actually a welcome wagon. I swear the United States is just really about 50 individual nations with their own cultures! 🤔

I know when the local church built a new parsonage, and had a new pastor and family moving in, they had a house warming (advertised as such) or at least the local version of it, and I swear that poor man and his wife got 30 casseroles and about 10 huge lasagnas! 😂 I felt bad for them because I know a lot of the local cooks, and they were all likely cream of soup type things. If you don't love cream of soup stuff, then let the weeping begin.

Edited by Faith-manor
Cannot type today
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Re: Welcome Wagon - I still remember a welcome wagon lady coming to hour new house in California in 1966.  It was a sort of community organization, staffed (I'm pretty sure) by volunteers. I don't remember much about what she brought but I think there were coupons and flyers from stores and such, probably a list of houses of worship. She sat with my mom for a little bit and talked about the area, sort of giving her the lay of the land. Probably my mom made coffee. Oh, I think the woman brought cookies or something. 

I imagine that the businesses that were on their lists donated $$ to be there, which funded the whole thing. 

ETA: decided to look it up. My memory was pretty good!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_Wagon

When the company was founded, Welcome Wagon "hostesses" would visit new homeowners with a gift basket containing samples, coupons, and advertising from contributing businesses.[3] These home visits continued for over 50 years until 1998, when then-owner Cendant laid off the "hostesses", saying that changing demographics meant few homeowners would be at home when representatives called.[4

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

For housewarmings, I've seen people bring things like plants or decorative items. Possibly wine and fun glasses to go with it. Decorative kitchen linens. Not anything big. 

• Like 3