Menu

Well-Trained Bodies - July

3 hours ago, Soror said:

Today is our 25th anniversary- we are doing a stained glass class together this afternoon. Otherwise its a normal day (as far as I know). Our vaca was our big anniversary splurge. Dh is in the midst of a project at work and it's just another school day.

Happy anniversary!!! Enjoy your day!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been walking the dogs and mostly forgetting to do an entire stretch/strength program. I'll just stretch ad-hoc whenever I'm feeling tight in a joint. Oh well, it is quite effective in helping deal with tension after it happens. It just feels nicer to stretch before the pain sets in. 😉 

• Like 5

Speaking of moms: mine is 82. She lives in a house that is on a hill and has a staircase with 70+ steps from the gate to the entrance door. No vehicle access. Any shopping outing, errand, or doctor's appointment involves a descent and ascent of 100 vertical feet before walking to stores or boarding a bus. She doesn't need a gym.

I hiked yesterday for five hours in the mountains. Here's some pictures. This is home.

20240717_130815.jpg

20240717_130954.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Speaking of moms: mine is 82. She lives in a house that is on a hill and has a staircase with 70+ steps from the gate to the entrance door. No vehicle access. Any shopping outing, errand, or doctor's appointment involves a descent and ascent of 100 vertical feet before walking to stores or boarding a bus. She doesn't need a gym.

I hiked yesterday for five hours in the mountains. Here's some pictures. This is home.

Very lovely! I guess you don't mean it is home but feels like home? I don't know of any mountains in our state that look like that! Your mother most be aging well with that level of activity.

• Like 2

I did lower body yesterday morning and then an art class with dh in the evening. I ended the night with reading on my own as dh got called into work (boo!).

Today is a rest day from lifting. I did about 30 minutes of stretching this morning, will do a short walk, and will try to catch a cardio class tonight before dd3's Black Belt ceremony.

Dh says he is taking off tomorrow and we might do an overnight backpack trip. The weather is supposed to be unseasonably cool for the next couple of days. We have a few treks we want to do this fall. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Soror said:

Very lovely! I guess you don't mean it is home but feels like home? I don't know of any mountains in our state that look like that! Your mother most be aging well with that level of activity.

No no, I'm actually home in Germany, visiting mom.

Yes, mom is very fit. All the activity built into daily life certainly helps. My grandmother lived here with us and did the daily family shopping until she was 93.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

34 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Yes, mom is very fit. All the activity built into daily life certainly helps. My grandmother lived here with us and did the daily family shopping until she was 93.

OH! That home! I don't know why that didn't occur to me. My Mom and Dad live in the country so they have to drive places but they have a lot of activity with taking care of the yard and animals. Dh's grandma was the same. She was at home until the last month or so of her life. I hope that I do as well.

• Like 4

25 min fitbymik workout plus a 5 min warm up to hit the magic 30 min mark.

I'm in the middle of my summer sourdough project. While the starter was done yesterday, the actual bread recipe called for overnight fermentation in the fridge, so today is actual baking day for the first batch. I think it will make 3 baguettes and a round. Sourdough bread for dinner (plus salad and something else). I have a lot of the mother starter and I want to use more up, so I think our Friday night pizza will be sourdough crust. And what I really want to try is making a sourdough sandwich bread. We're buying better bread now with no weird ingredients at about $9 per loaf. And the sourdough seems to be our favorite. I want to see how hard it would be to make a loaf per week.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, regentrude said:

My mum was very fit and lived alone until she was 92. It was other age-related issues that caused the move. She didn't drive, so riding her motorbike and then walking/ taking buses kept her fit. She had a wheeled shopping bag. She lived at the top of a hill in a very hilly city.

The photos are lovely. 

------

Thursday - rest day. Just a walk up the Den.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5

30 min on the treadmill this morning.

Well, I am not yet an awesome sourdough baker. My baguettes didn't rise much. But they sure tasted great--I managed to eat most of one throughout the day (portion control fail). The round rose better but is very wobbly looking. That one went to the freezer. Today I will be trying to merge two different recipes to get a batch of dough ready for a sandwich bread loaf to bake tomorrow (overnight ferment). I'm learning more about starter hydration percents and actually using a lot of math to try to convert one recipe source to another. And now I will go type a food plan into MFP to try to avoid mindless eating today.

• Like 5

I got in 2 dog walks in the woods, as well as some heavy gardening. I bought 4 new perrentials that were on sale at Costco, so they needed new homes. Plus we're expanding our driveway slightly, so I needed to move a couple perrenials (hopefully they survive the move). So with all the sod cutting/moving and bricklaying, my body is feeling it today! 

• Like 4

I went to the gym this morning. Attempted a side lunge (which I do lots of times, not a new thing at all) and felt something shift in my back. Now I have nerve pain down my left side and a limp. 😥 Once home I hung on the teeter board and it helped quite a bit but my back is still messed up. I hope I can turn this around within a day because I am planning to drive out to Chicago for a few days. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I took the dogs for two walks in the woods, did a little more landscaping (gathering bricks for the interlock section of the driveway), and biked to a store to get cookies and chips. I really needed the sugar and salt!! 😉  I'm going through some big emotions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

@Harriet Vane Hope your back issues recovery quickly! Can you tolerate lots of OTC pain meds? 

Not really. I can take nsaids for an only a day or two before my tum is a mess. I am thankful that I have the TENS unit, and I find that I tolerate muscle relaxers much better than nsaids. I have had disc issues and bone spurs on my spine for many years, so at this point I have a few tricks up my sleeves. 

Thanks for asking. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

15 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Not really. I can take nsaids for an only a day or two before my tum is a mess. I am thankful that I have the TENS unit, and I find that I tolerate muscle relaxers much better than nsaids. I have had disc issues and bone spurs on my spine for many years, so at this point I have a few tricks up my sleeves. 

Thanks for asking. 

I've been cutting back on NSAIDs as well due to stomach issues. I go a little harder on Tylenol. We can also get OTC Tylenol with codine here in Canada, which is a powerhouse if you need some quick pain relief. I've never needed it myself, but I know our US cousins have been rather envious of us with this option available to us in Canada.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My MAT guru gave me an adjustment this morning, thank God. I'm spending today rotating specific exercises as assigned by her and hanging on the teeter board. Much better than yesterday and hopeful that I will manage the long solo drive tomorrow. I am so looking forward to my little getaway to see my friends and my daughter.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

My MAT guru gave me an adjustment this morning, thank God. I'm spending today rotating specific exercises as assigned by her and hanging on the teeter board. Much better than yesterday and hopeful that I will manage the long solo drive tomorrow. I am so looking forward to my little getaway to see my friends and my daughter.

So glad you've gotten relief this quickly!! That must be some guru! 

----------------------------------

I went for a dog walk this morning, and then did a spontaneous drive out to a town where some new friends live. It was really fun to see out this town had revitalized their old downtown to be a really neat place that is full of life and cool shops. 

I also played 2 hrs of ladies doubles tennis, which was a lot of fun. The evening was cool after heavy rain, so I fit in a solo walk around the neighbourhood. Sorry pups, I needed some alone time. 😉 

Tomorrow ds18 and I are going on another adventure. This time probably kayaking. 😊

• Like 5

On 7/16/2024 at 1:29 PM, wintermom said:

You can PM me if you prefer)

I tried but can't? Are you near Maine?

I've been having a great two days with all my kids here. Oldest turned 35 yesterday which is a little mind-blowing, and we had a wonderful day of delicious food, a picnic, a swim in the inlet, and more food outside in the dusk. 

Exercise from work is going well but I am longing for a real hike. Maybe today.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Eos said:

I tried but can't? Are you near Maine?

I've been having a great two days with all my kids here. Oldest turned 35 yesterday which is a little mind-blowing, and we had a wonderful day of delicious food, a picnic, a swim in the inlet, and more food outside in the dusk. 

Exercise from work is going well but I am longing for a real hike. Maybe today.

Sorry, my message box was more full than I expected. It's empty now. I'm not very near Maine. It's a solid 7 hr drive just to get to the border. I'd still love to hear exactly where you were just in case I make the trip one day. Thanks!

• Like 3

I ended up taking two separate hikes today. The first ended up at a field full of cows and calves and no way round, so I retraced my steps for a total of 6 miles. I then drove half an hour to walk another 10 miles.

20240721_103927.jpg

20240721_143151.jpg

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wintermom said:

Sorry, my message box was more full than I expected. It's empty now. I'm not very near Maine. It's a solid 7 hr drive just to get to the border. I'd still love to hear exactly where you were just in case I make the trip one day. Thanks!

Hmmm, still says you can't receive messages. We hope to do a high-tide, full-moon swim tonight to see if the bioluminescence have activated yet.

I did hike today, up a beautiful deep brook where usually there is water flowing but today it was dry and a bit disheveled.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Eos said:

Hmmm, still says you can't receive messages. We hope to do a high-tide, full-moon swim tonight to see if the bioluminescence have activated yet.

I did hike today, up a beautiful deep brook where usually there is water flowing but today it was dry and a bit disheveled.

I'm not sure what's happening there. I'll ask for tech help.

Enjoy your swim tonight!! It sounds amazing! How warm/cold is the water? 

• Like 2

The kayak ride was nice and peaceful. Ds and I paddled fairly quickly with a few breaks over for about 2 hours. The most excitement of the trip was the baby spiders and eggs that ds found in his kayak while we were out on the open water. He wasn't happy, but toughed it out. They weren't moving at all, so it's not like they were crawling all around. He did wash out the kayak thoroughly after the paddle. 😉  My friendly spider was still in my boat at the beginning of the paddle, but ds removed it. I didn't realize how ok I am with spiders until today. As long as I know that they are completely harmless, that is... 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, wintermom said:

The kayak ride was nice and peaceful. Ds and I paddled fairly quickly with a few breaks over for about 2 hours. The most excitement of the trip was the baby spiders and eggs that ds found in his kayak while we were out on the open water. He wasn't happy, but toughed it out. They weren't moving at all, so it's not like they were crawling all around. He did wash out the kayak thoroughly after the paddle. 😉  My friendly spider was still in my boat at the beginning of the paddle, but ds removed it. I didn't realize how ok I am with spiders until today. As long as I know that they are completely harmless, that is... 

LOL one of mine would have loved the spiders the rest would have had a fit.

17 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I ended up taking two separate hikes today. The first ended up at a field full of cows and calves and no way round, so I retraced my steps for a total of 6 miles. I then drove half an hour to walk another 10 miles.

You got in some great hikes. I bet you slept well.

On 7/20/2024 at 10:00 AM, Ali in OR said:

Yoga this morning. Bread baking today.

Yum, bread! How did it turn out? 

On 7/20/2024 at 3:25 PM, Harriet Vane said:

I'm glad to hear your back is doing better.

14 hours ago, Eos said:

That sounds very magical

• Like 5

Thursday evening- exercise class before dd3's Black Belt ceremony

Friday am- lower body strength- it was a good one. I'm still a bit sore.

Friday- Saturday-Sunday work on the shop- progress made, but never as much as we hope.

Sunday I also did some yard work and did some more this morning. I've not kept up with things as well as I'd like and am trying to catch up. June was incredibly busy.

I'm getting ready to do upper body strength and then I'm planning an exercise class tonight.

• Like 5

Day of rest yesterday (I'm really good at resting and not doing much of anything). 30 min on the treadmill this morning.

My sourdough sandwich bread turned out well, but it tastes pretty much like homemade white bread--no real sourdough tang to it. I will look for other recipes that aren't as enriched (this one has a lot of butter in it). Today is the day I need to do something with the starter. I think I'll feed it and do one more round of playing with it, then I'm already looking up how to freeze starter. I won't be one keeping it on the counter and baking bread all the time. We can't keep up with eating it. And I won't have as much time during the school year to play around with it. For the first round I made 3 baguettes and a round, the sandwich bread, and I made some pizza dough that's in the freezer--we'll try it this Friday. And I still have a ton of starter because you only use an ounce or two in each recipe.

Off to do shopping errands today--Target and Costco run. This is the prime time for back-to-school supplies, even though we start school after Labor Day. Target will be fully stocked by now but won't have run out of anything. I don't need much this year.

• Like 5

So it turns out that I was supposed to play mixed doubles with friends last night. I completely forgot, and by the time my friend texted to remind me ds had already taken the car to volleyball. I was too tired to do any tennis anyway, but I felt really bad about letting the 3 others down. 😌 That's the first time I've messed up my timing in as long as I can remember. 

I've taken the dogs for their monrning walk, and I'm playing tennis this evening. I'm still feeling sluggish today, but hopefully the tennis we rejuvinate me. 😊

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

So it turns out that I was supposed to play mixed doubles with friends last night. I completely forgot, and by the time my friend texted to remind me ds had already taken the car to volleyball. I was too tired to do any tennis anyway, but I felt really bad about letting the 3 others down. 😌 That's the first time I've messed up my timing in as long as I can remember. 

I've taken the dogs for their monrning walk, and I'm playing tennis this evening. I'm still feeling sluggish today, but hopefully the tennis we rejuvinate me. 😊

Sounds like you really need a rest. You've been playing a lot.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Sounds like you really need a rest. You've been playing a lot.

I've been having trouble sleeping, as well as there are some heavy issues abreast with extended family that are weighing on my mind. Tennis is actually a perfect distraction and the endorphins are good for me. However, rest is also important, so I wasn't too sad to miss tennis, but I did feel bad for the players who couldn't play proper doubles because I didn't turn up. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I've been having trouble sleeping, as well as there are some heavy issues abreast with extended family that are weighing on my mind. Tennis is actually a perfect distraction and the endorphins are good for me. However, rest is also important, so I wasn't too sad to miss tennis, but I did feel bad for the players who couldn't play proper doubles because I didn't turn up. 

I'm sorry you are in a difficult patch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday was too much all around. I kept saying to dd "this day will come to an end." And it did.

My varicose veins are bothering me, I plan to get some support socks.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Eos said:

Yesterday was too much all around. I kept saying to dd "this day will come to an end." And it did.

My varicose veins are bothering me, I plan to get some support socks.

17 hours ago, wintermom said:

Hugs to both of you. I hope that things improve soon for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bodyweight circuit x2 and a 15 min yoga stretch. I'm liking Yoga with Bird for stretching yoga. I like the slower pace, gentle music, holding a pose longer, and conscientiously stretching specific muscles or areas. I'll take dd on a short walk and out to lunch today. Then I get to go back to Costco as the tires we ordered for one of our cars came in early.

I have plenty to keep me busy, but as I tell dh, it's a nice, low-stress level of busy. Move at a leisurely pace, take breaks as needed, get stuff done but don't be stressed about it. Summer is awesome.

• Like 5

I played 2 hours of ladies doubles tennis this morning. It was fun. I stayed up too late last night, though. I had tennis from 8:30 - 10pm, and then I had to shower and eat. I could have used a couple more hours of sleep. 

• Like 5

Fitbymik dumbbell workout this morning. I think I keep doing the same one--25 min standing dumbbell and I add in the 5 min optional warm up. And I think there's only the one that is 25 min and standing only, so pretty sure it's been the same video every week. During the school year I was always choosing 20 min workouts and there are more of those. 

• Like 5

It’s been a whirlwind. Long day driving on Sunday with only stretching breaks. I did enjoy tacos and birria with ds along the way. Monday was the same—lots of driving hither and yon with some breaks to stretch.

Tuesday my back was pretty achy, but I managed. Literally did pressups on a towel next to the car. I enjoyed walking around a small museum and the surrounding neighborhood. Highlight was seeing some original clay tablets of Gilgamesh. 

Wednesday I drove back home. I stopped along the way for lunch with my niece and we took a walk together.

Gyrotonics today and it seriously really helped with my back. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Fitbymik dumbbell workout this morning. I think I keep doing the same one--25 min standing dumbbell and I add in the 5 min optional warm up. And I think there's only the one that is 25 min and standing only, so pretty sure it's been the same video every week. During the school year I was always choosing 20 min workouts and there are more of those. 

I like the 25 minute standing one too! I like everything about them, what she does, her set, her minimal patter and music, even her outfits. 

I'm doing nothing aerobic but my legs are quite strong from my daily stairs, arms are good from rolling so many pies. I just need time in the woods and that's not happening much.

• Like 5

I've felt rather blah this week. Due to hormones, I'm not sleeping as well (although my sleep isn't bad compared to how bad it has been in the past). 

I've done 3 strength workouts so far and am doing my last for the week today. Wednesday was a rest day and I did a walk and longer stretching. This weekend will likely be as much work outside as the weather allows (between the heat and possible storms).

• Like 4