Menu

I've Ruined History!

Ok, we started doing SOTW Ancients on the Biblioplan schedule this year (the events are covered in a different order, by location kind of)...I thought we were doing so well! Until I realized that I am having ds memorize the timeline events IN THE WRONG ORDER! :w00t: We are learning them according to how we have been studying them, not exactly in the order they happened. This was SO well thought out! How did this happen????:confused1: More importantly: how do I fix this? We just started Egypt before Christmas break, so there is not a TON that we (*I*) have messed up, but :tongue_smilie:! He enjoys memorizing the events, and I think it is useful....HELP!!:bigear:

Melissa in St Louis

There are certainly worse mistakes than this out in homeschool world!

I'd tell my kid, "Mom made a mistake in the ordering of events in history, so we're going to work together to get it right. I'm sorry that this happened, but this is a good lesson for us both."

This sounds like something that would happen to me! :001_smile: At least you're discovering it now!!!

Maybe you could make some flashcards of the events together and spend a week drilling the information. You could re-do your timeline and just focus on memory work. This would give you a chance to relearn the information in the correct order. Good luck!

How do you learn timeline events in the wrong order? I mean, it sounds like they simply didn't learn them chronologically- but they haven't learned anything incorrect. I wouldn't even fix it- you could just simply spend a bit of time with the child going over your timeline from the beginning to where you are up to, which is a nice thing to do anyway. All problems healed- the child sees the natural order and gets a better feel for chronology. Then teach chronologically from now on.

Hardly something to ruin a child for life :)

I'm curious...how are you memorizing the timeline? We're doing Veritas Press' according to the Chronological Order that Classical Conversations (CC) puts them in...Veritas Press has them ordered kinda geographically and within that...I believe they are chronological. If I'm wrong, someone can shout that I am:-) Anyway, I don't think it'd be a huge deal to correct it back to the other way...so if you want to change it...just let your kids know... And, if you use cards or something, that might help.

Carrie:-)

We are memorizing them in the order we have covered them in Biblioplan:

Creation

Adam and Eve

Noah

Ice Age

Tower of Babel

Sumerian cunieform

Sargon/Akkadia

Abraham

Hammarabi

Gilgamesh

Upper/Lower Egypt is Unified

Cheops

How bad is it? What do I fix? :bigear:

Edited by Melissa in St Louis
I can't think straight!

Since you are doing ancients and using SOTW, I am going to assume that your son is around first grade.

I have a First Grade History Song (I know, it needs a snazzier title) that I have been working on with my kids that covers the highlights of what we have studied thus far. I add a stanza or two every time it seems appropriate. So far we are up to

Philip of Macedon conquered Greece

His son Alexander conquered everything!

He had the largest empire ever seen

Pharos lighthouse, Alexandria

It is in roughly chronological order, but (and this is a big but) I don't really care whether they know things exactly in chronological order. My kids are in K and 1st and my sole purpose with the song is for them to remember the stories associated with the events. At their ages, chronological history doesn't mean a whole lot anyway (I am teaching chronologically, but time and history are still very abstract to little kids). We're going to cover all this again in four years anyway. I doubt that the "order" in which they remember stuff now is going to matter a hoot then.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. For now, I think your primary focus should be on helping your son love history and provide him with rich stories to remember. You certainly haven't ruined history.

Tara

I have a First Grade History Song (I know, it needs a snazzier title) that I have been working on with my kids that covers the highlights of what we have studied thus far. I add a stanza or two every time it seems appropriate. So far we are up to

It is in roughly chronological order, but (and this is a big but) I don't really care whether they know things exactly in chronological order. My kids are in K and 1st and my sole purpose with the song is for them to remember the stories associated with the events.

What an awesome idea, Tara!

It is in roughly chronological order

So, are you going to share the whole song (thusfar) with us?

Since you are doing ancients and using SOTW, I am going to assume that your son is around first grade.

It is in roughly chronological order, but (and this is a big but) I don't really care whether they know things exactly in chronological order. My kids are in K and 1st and my sole purpose with the song is for them to remember the stories associated with the events. At their ages, chronological history doesn't mean a whole lot anyway (I am teaching chronologically, but time and history are still very abstract to little kids). We're going to cover all this again in four years anyway. I doubt that the "order" in which they remember stuff now is going to matter a hoot then.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. For now, I think your primary focus should be on helping your son love history and provide him with rich stories to remember. You certainly haven't ruined history.

Tara

WOW ! You are so creative ! Would you be willing to share this song with all of us ? We would all love to have such a fun way of memorizing history.

What tune do you sing it to ?

Here's an idea: continue following the lessons as already ordered. Whenever you have a new thing to memorize stop and determine where in your current list it goes. It's not such a bad idea to review what came before and after a given event. Then memorize the new list. I'm guessing there won't be too many changes but the good thing is that kids are REALLY good as memorizing at this age! So don't worry.

Ok, here is the First Grade History Song thus far. It's sung to the tune of Frere Jacques (so it's not really that creative ... more like very repetitive).

First the Big Bang, then the earth formed

Blue-green algae*, then sea life

Next came the dinosaurs, then came mammals

Then came people, hominids

Australopithecus, Homo habilis

Homo erectus spread from Africa

Neanderthals, Homo sapiens

That is us, Homo sapiens sapiens

Tigris, Euphrates, Fertile Crescent

Jericho, the first town

Mesopotamia, Sumeria

The first writing, cuneiform

On to Egypt, Nile River

King Narmer, King Menes

Hieroglyphics, gods and pharaohs

The Great Pyramid and the Sphinx

Hammurabi, Babylonia

Ashurbanipal, Assyria

Dido, Phoenicia

Bull skin, Carthage

King Minos, Minoans, Crete

Theseus, Minotaur, Linear A

Can't be read by anyone today!

Mycenaeans came to Crete, they were from ancient Greece

Trojan Horse, Linear B

Greece got an alphabet from the Phoenicians

Iliad, Oddysey, written by Homer

Athens was cultural, Sparta was warlike

They fought each other and the Persians

Greeks had Olympics and created drama

Marathon, a long, long run

Aristotle, Plato, Socrates, Sophocles

Oedipus Rex had bad luck

*My kids regularly sing this as "Blue-green allergy."

(I forgot that I had created a new verse to teach the kids after winter break.)

So, like I said, complete chronological accuracy is not my goal. I'm sure that this song reflects my own biases about what's important (I mention lots of different writing, but no history of the Hebrews, which we will cover more when we study religions when the kids are older), so if I left out something that appalls you, feel free to add it to your own version. ;) The song is basically just a skeleton, but it contains enough cues that the kids remember more of the story. For example, King Narmer and King Menes are the same person; he was the first to wear the double crown after he united Upper and Lower Egypt. My kids remember his whole story just from his name(s). They remember Hammurabi's Code and Ashubanipal's library at Nineveh just from hearing the names. We rehearse the song at least once a week and I ask the kids questions about various verses just to refresh their memories.

Tara