Menu

Anyone in food service?

busymama7

So I have developed a pattern of severe gastro issues after eating salads at restaurants. I eat them all the time at home with my own heads of lettuce(different types) and also from the pre packaged bags from the grocery store.  At first I thought it was the lettuce getting contaminated but we are now wondering if they are putting something on the lettuce like to prevent it from browning.   Today I just had a piece on my sandwich from a shop and usually that is fine but not today apparently. I have completely sworn off salads of any kind from any kind of restaurant, fast food or sit down as it has happened so many times I just can't risk it anymore.  But yeah I totally didn't see this coming today.  

Just curious if anyone knows anything about any possible product and if there is anything I can do. I LOVE salad and am so sad about it.  And now apparently I even have to skip the lettuce on a sandwich or burger.  Thanks for any help.  

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Someone on Reddit mentioned sodium metabisulphite is used for shredded lettuces and other vegetables to prevent browning.

Thanks.  It's super weird because I eat shredded packaged lettuce from the grocery store.   This has only happened at restaurants or catering but consistently. It used to be random which is when I thought it was contamination.   But now it's even just 3 bites (when I forgot) or apparently one leaf on a sandwich that I even pulled some of it off as a precaution but thought I was being silly as I've never had an issue with a small bit like that.  

10 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

It's super weird because I eat shredded packaged lettuce from the grocery store

It might be the level/amount of sulphites present. I have seen staff cut open large packs of frozen vegetables and pour directly into the woks or bins.

https://www.ifsqn.com/forum/index.php/topic/19952-allergen-management-sodium-metabisulphite-used-to-wash-products/?ampmode=1
“in the previous audit a non conformance was raised stating that sodium metabisulphite was not taken in to account as a allergen.
i am un sure how to rectify this as we use it im potatoes, cabbages and a salad washer machine for the lettuce packs.”

“In Australia, our national legislation around allergens requires mandatory declarations if the product contains added sulphites in concentrations of 10mg/kg or more.

You would also need to check any customer requirements for limits as well if they have been documented as part of contracts or audit criteria's.”

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

It might be the level/amount of sulphites present. I have seen staff cut open large packs of frozen vegetables and pour directly into the woks or bins.

https://www.ifsqn.com/forum/index.php/topic/19952-allergen-management-sodium-metabisulphite-used-to-wash-products/?ampmode=1
“in the previous audit a non conformance was raised stating that sodium metabisulphite was not taken in to account as a allergen.
i am un sure how to rectify this as we use it im potatoes, cabbages and a salad washer machine for the lettuce packs.”

“In Australia, our national legislation around allergens requires mandatory declarations if the product contains added sulphites in concentrations of 10mg/kg or more.

You would also need to check any customer requirements for limits as well if they have been documented as part of contracts or audit criteria's.”

Thanks. This describes actual allergy type reactions so who knows if it's what's causing mine. It is all gastro and severe.   

• Sad 1

Packaged lettuce is usually dipped in citric acid or aceitic acid or l-cysteine——restaurants use a spray with sulfites.

If the gastro reaction is severe I am a bit worried it’s anaphylactic and you’ve just been lucky that it hasnt gone respiratory so far. I’d try to get in with an allergist for testing and epipens. My coconut allergy started off gastro only but did not stay that way.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Packaged lettuce is usually dipped in citric acid or aceitic acid or l-cysteine——restaurants use a spray with sulfites.

If the gastro reaction is severe I am a bit worried it’s anaphylactic and you’ve just been lucky that it hasnt gone respiratory so far. I’d try to get in with an allergist for testing and epipens. My coconut allergy started off gastro only but did not stay that way.

Thank you! It is so good to know that restaurants do use something different.  I am actually slightly stuffy last night and today but I thought it was traveling and the wind but maybe it's allergies?  I do have lots of allergies but didn't realize they could change like you describe.   The reactions have definitely gotten worse over time and now apparently even with only the smallest amount of lettuce.  Like one leaf on a half sandwich that I didn't even eat all of the lettuce. 

Should I be worried about other vegetables at restaurants? It's only happened with lettuce or salads so far but do they use it on other stuff? Is it only a concern with raw?

Honestly, until you get a grip on what exactly it is you are reacting to, I would avoid restaurants altogether. There are too many weird things that go on.  And, I say this as a person who grew up with almost no allergies and developed some very serious ones well into adulthood.  Until you have epipens, only eat at home.  You can go from fine to code blue worthy in as little as a minute, and if you don't have epipens, you aren't necessarily going to be ok waiting for an ambulance. 

I will also say that allergies can be like a bucket. I am much more likely to have serious reactions to foods when my overall allergy bucket is full. Right now is a terrible time for me, so I'm being very careful to eat at home to avoid even a slight contamination.  (And, relatedly, lettuce cross reacts in people with birch allergies.)

If you have a true and serious sulfite allergy, you need to know. Avoid grapes, dry gravies and most sauces, maraschino cherries, pickled onions, dried fruits, and a long list of other stuff (google for high sulfite foods) until you can get in for testing.  I really hope you don't have a sulfite allergy, for real, but don't assume it is just lettuce until you get tested. 

Also, if you aren't well versed on food allergies, do a bit of reading. Anaphylaxis is very different from the standard sniffles and hives that a lot of people have with seasonal stuff.  For the first few years, I really disbelieved I was having anaphylactic reactions. Like, my brain would not compute it. Dh would have to prompt me with epipens. I now know not to trust my brain but to look for the symptoms in my body. But, just on the off chance your brain places denial games with you also---do a bit of reading. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Honestly, until you get a grip on what exactly it is you are reacting to, I would avoid restaurants altogether. There are too many weird things that go on.  And, I say this as a person who grew up with almost no allergies and developed some very serious ones well into adulthood.  Until you have epipens, only eat at home.  You can go from fine to code blue worthy in as little as a minute, and if you don't have epipens, you aren't necessarily going to be ok waiting for an ambulance. 

I will also say that allergies can be like a bucket. I am much more likely to have serious reactions to foods when my overall allergy bucket is full. Right now is a terrible time for me, so I'm being very careful to eat at home to avoid even a slight contamination.  (And, relatedly, lettuce cross reacts in people with birch allergies.)

If you have a true and serious sulfite allergy, you need to know. Avoid grapes, dry gravies and most sauces, maraschino cherries, pickled onions, dried fruits, and a long list of other stuff (google for high sulfite foods) until you can get in for testing.  I really hope you don't have a sulfite allergy, for real, but don't assume it is just lettuce until you get tested. 

Also, if you aren't well versed on food allergies, do a bit of reading. Anaphylaxis is very different from the standard sniffles and hives that a lot of people have with seasonal stuff.  For the first few years, I really disbelieved I was having anaphylactic reactions. Like, my brain would not compute it. Dh would have to prompt me with epipens. I now know not to trust my brain but to look for the symptoms in my body. But, just on the off chance your brain places denial games with you also---do a bit of reading. 

Such good information. I really am not super well versed. My nephew had a severe dairy allergy and my daughter in law is GF but this kinda of thing I'm not familiar with. I do have seasonal and animal allergies. I was thinking I was "reacting" to something about the lettuce but I wasn't really thinking allergy in the anaphylactic way.   But I have gotten more severe reactions building up so it makes sense.  Ugh what a pain.  I LOVE salads.  

Edited by busymama7

12 hours ago, busymama7 said:

I was thinking I was "reacting" to something about the lettuce but I wasn't really thinking allergy in the anaphylactic way.   But I have gotten more severe reactions building up so it makes sense. 

Allergies can have a compound effect so a mild intolerance can feel more severe when other allergies are acting up. Also asthmatic are more likely to be affected by lettuce. I would go for an allergy testing just for more information. 
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2732408/#:~:text=This study has demonstrated that,provoked asthma in these individuals.

“This study has demonstrated that sulfite-treated lettuce is capable of provoking bronchospasm in SSAs and suggests that such food is one cause of restaurant-provoked asthma in these individuals.”

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27609533/#:~:text=Results%3A The clinical symptoms of,found in 90% of patients.

”The clinical symptoms of lettuce allergy were frequently severe, with 18 of the 30 patients experiencing anaphylaxis. All the patients had allergic reactions to other plant foods. Cofactors were involved in the clinical reactions of 13 of the 30 patients. Sensitization to pollens was found in 90% of patients.

Conclusions: Lettuce allergy is found not as an isolated condition but in the context of LTP syndrome and it is characterized by severe reactions and frequent cofactor association.”