Menu

Man or bear?

Katy

18 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

They're the only kind of bears we have here, so I'm not being brave when I say I'm not scared of them at all. 😛

There’s so many scarier creatures there, I think it’s safe to say that even if they were common, they still wouldn’t be that bad.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Are you scolding me for not caring enough for imaginary men?

Sorry. No. Your post was just an easily quoted one that highlighted a theme across multiple people’s posts—that the question is one of the risks of being attacked. My point was that there are other considerations beyond the risk of being attacked that should play into the choice.

5 minutes ago, Kuovonne said:

Sorry. No. Your post was just an easily quoted one that highlighted a theme across multiple people’s posts—that the question is one of the risks of being attacked. My point was that there are other considerations beyond the risk of being attacked that should play into the choice.

That has been said upthread, but I don't suppose helpfulness is something people worry about, so that might be why it hasn't been a major focus in a question about fear.

56 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

They're the only kind of bears we have here

LOL. The only kind of bears around me are stuffed teddy bears. I have quite a few of them in my life. They do not inspire fear and have actually been helpful at times. Sometimes cuddling a teddy bear can be comforting.

But I would not cuddle a strange teddy bear in the woods. A strange teddy bear alone in the woods with no other people around would be sad/creepy. I would leave it alone, the same as I would do with a live bear.

Edited by Kuovonne

5 minutes ago, Kuovonne said:

But I would not cuddle a strange teddy bear in the woods. A strange teddy bear alone in the woods with no other people around would be sad/creepy. I would leave it alone, the same as I would do with a live bear.

I am shocked! What if that strange teddy bear needed you? It is a teddy bear. It can't call its own taxi, you know. 

I am not shocked after all. I've just remembered that a strange teddy bear in the woods is probably soggy. I wouldn't cuddle it either.

Sorry for cuddle-shaming you.

On 4/24/2024 at 5:00 PM, Kuovonne said:

Several people on this thread have commented that the mere presence of a man or men does not necessarily make them feel unsafe.

Has anyone else actually been helped by men who were strangers? I have. Multiple times. It is usually something quick and small, in a well-lit public space, but it is still an act of kindness on the stranger’s part. I have also been helped by women who are strangers. Is being helped by men really that unusual? Or is needing/wanting help from a stranger that rare in and of itself?

I was helped by a man when I got a flat tire on a dark section of highway in my sports car with 2 kids in the back, and I was pregnant. Pre-everyone-has-a-cell-phone. I will forever be grateful for the guy who very quickly slapped on my spare tire and disappeared back into his vehicle while I was panicked for the safety of my kids (getting hit on the side of a highway is way too common, even for emergency services with flashing lights) AND for this stranger-man I knew nothing about. Especially without a cell phone.

I still prefer to be approached by a woman than a man, and I try to approach women who may appear to need help first.

• Like 3