Menu

Is there a good online checklist to help me stay on track during DD's final year and half?

Life simply has not turned out as I'd hoped/expected. These past several years have been extremely challenging for me. I am stretched to my max both mentally and emotionally. My mental load is extreme. My "free time" is limited. Little of this relates to homeschooling, except that homeschooling keeps me tied in place and restricts my ability to improve certain other facets of life. DD has been fabulous in stepping up and taking a more-independent role in her studies. She's doing some dual credit. Her first ACT scores were good. But, I feel as those I am failing her overall. I really need some kind of homeschooler's checklist to help me get through the next year and half. She's finishing up her junior year, and I fear missing important upcoming deadlines. (I already missed some summer opportunities but found different ones last minute.) Any suggestions?

Please don’t beat yourself up. Make sure she is also looking for opportunities. A lot of the lists will be case specific. Does she have a few colleges she’s interested in?  I would look them up and write down any dates—application due dates, honors program apps, scholarships (sometimes all these are separate apps. ) Do the schools take the common app? If so put writing the essay in for the summer.  put the ACT date in your list. Consider having her apply to any rolling admission schools as soon as the applications open. 

Otherwise, you just need to be aware that she’s covered any grad requirements for homeschoolers in your state. You’ll need to set a grad date by the time you do the first application. Spend the summer making a transcript, counselor recommendation and school profile ( and anything else the likely colleges require.)

This is off the top of my head. Others may have ideas, too. 

• Like 3

"High School Time Table" thread might help.

It is one of many helpful past threads, all linked in the "High School Motherlode #1" post, pinned at the top of the High School Board.
You might also skim through the threads linked there, plus the threads linked in the "High School Motherlode #2".
And the "Going to College Motherlode" thread, pinned at the top of the College Board. 

Other checklists:
Homeschool for Success: High School Checklist -- downloadable/pdf general/overall high school list from Debra Bell
- Homeschool Senior Year Checklist -- On To College blog; can download a printable pdf version
- 15 Point Senior Year Inspection Checklist -- Lee Binz website article

BEST of luck!

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, freesia said:

Please don’t beat yourself up. Make sure she is also looking for opportunities.

1000% agree with this. ❤️❤️ Honestly, this could be a very good thing for her—learning to take more control now will mean she’ll be much more equipped when she gets to college.

The one thing I wish we had done was get a much better start on the essays during the summer after junior year. This helped my DD tremendously: Hack the College Essay

• Like 3

Jr year-

ACT/ SAT/ PSAT testing

Tour colleges she is interested in, take note of special opportunities like fellowships and scholarship deadlines.  Many are by December of Sr year.   I made a checklist.

Get financial stuff organized and know your budget

Get transcript prepared and ready for admission applications

Keep a list of all activities, awards, etc.  

Summer Between Jr and Sr year

Finalize the application list- revisit any places you need to

Check Net Price Calculator for all schools

Make a checklist for each school- applications open, dorm deposit open, fellowship and scholarship deadlines

Make a Student Resume and start thinking about scholarship application essays- write a few to tweak later.

Fall Sr year

Apply to all schools on your list

Fill out FAFSA 

Re-take tests if you are trying for a better score or are near a higher cut-off

The rest depends on the kid- if you have a kid who knows where they are going, money works, go ahead and accept, pay housing deposit as soon as it opens and enjoy your spring!  If you have a kid who is still waiting on Scholarships,  admission,  trying to decide- that's when it's harder!  

Best of luck!

• Like 2