Menu

Powerpoint help

Amethyst

I have had Powerpoint on my mac laptop for years. Additionally, at work, where we use all Microsoft products, I also have Powerpoint. Things can get weird sometimes when I want to do a private document at home not work-related, but I'm still logged into my work email. Usually I can figure out that I need to sign out. Fine. But today, I am trying to create a non-work related Powerpoint, and when I open a new document, it says "Read Only". This is brand new, just opened. Why would it be saying "Read Only"? It is preventing me from being able to create anything. So frustrating. I have logged out of my work email, and logged into Powerpoint with my personal email. Any ideas what's going on?

11 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Is there a bar across the top that has a box that says "enable editing"?  If so, try clicking that.

Will it allow you to "save as" some name and then edit the PowerPoint?

No bar across the top saying Enable Editing. 

Will not allow me to Save or Save As (cuzI haven’t actually crested anything) 

9 minutes ago, domestic_engineer said:

I don’t know how you access PowerPoint, but to get work done, can you disconnect from the internet and just create and save to the local hard drive until the connectivity issues can be resolved?

Tried that. Didn’t work. 

As soon as I click Create, the first slide opens like ot normally does, but it is called Presentation1 [Read Only]. Below the ribbon is a yellow bar that says To keep up to date Check for Updates. Did that. No change. The yellow bar stays. And then there is a second yellow bar that says nothing. Just a yellow bar with an X if I want to close it. I close it. No change. Still Read Only. 

If you are signed in properly, it sounds like your personal subscription to Office may have expired.  Usually I get that message when I'm not signed in for some reason and once I sign in to an active account, everything is normal.  

I have a subscription??? That’s news to me! Not saying it’s not possible. But I don’t pay anything to Microsoft monthly or yearly. I bought this Office for Mac package back in 2014 or so. So did that have an expiration date, I wonder?

(1). Did you update your iOS recently?  If so, maybe it’s not playing nicely with the software.

(2). Maybe your work has a Microsoft subscription, and somewhere along the line you downloaded/replaced your 2014 copy. (Because it doesn’t make sense for a stand-alone copy to “check for updates”.)

(2a) Google gave some ideas here; the first response seems more helpful:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/blank-yellow-banner-word-and-excel-for-mac/eb70e022-4c0b-4462-8e92-7dbb81c310eb

(2b) or this one also from Google:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/blank-yellow-banner-word-and-excel-for-mac/ebd75f6a-9189-4c72-9927-0a7c491fd3d7

2 hours ago, domestic_engineer said:

(1). Did you update your iOS recently?  If so, maybe it’s not playing nicely with the software.

(2). Maybe your work has a Microsoft subscription, and somewhere along the line you downloaded/replaced your 2014 copy. (Because it doesn’t make sense for a stand-alone copy to “check for updates”.)

(2a) Google gave some ideas here; the first response seems more helpful:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/blank-yellow-banner-word-and-excel-for-mac/eb70e022-4c0b-4462-8e92-7dbb81c310eb

(2b) or this one also from Google:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/blank-yellow-banner-word-and-excel-for-mac/ebd75f6a-9189-4c72-9927-0a7c491fd3d7

No I have not updated ios recently. It wants me to, but that always seems to cause problems so I’m ignoring that. 

I will go check the links now. Thanks

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

What happens if you try to open an existing PowerPoint file?

Greya question. I didn’t think of that. 

It opens just fine. But I can’t edit them! Oh no! And it has that yellow bar across the too that doesn’t say anything. 

Edited by Amethyst

I do not work on a Mac, but on the PC version, you can click on "account" in Powerpoint.  It will show you what your license is (and there is an option to switch to other accounts if you may have some work license versus a personal license).  

11 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I do not work on a Mac, but on the PC version, you can click on "account" in Powerpoint.  It will show you what your license is (and there is an option to switch to other accounts if you may have some work license versus a personal license).  

Yes, it says I have no license. I’m convinced having a work account that I access from home has messed things up. I have tried to sign into my own personal Microsoft account (I know I have one cuz I wrote down the email address and password), but it refuses to let me sign into it. Only wants me to use my work email. 

Does a Mac allow you to see a directory of program files like a PC does?  If so, can you look and see what Microsoft Office program files are loaded on your computer and what the licensing arrangments are?

• 2 weeks later...