Menu

Math for 1st Grader - Minimalist

For my older kids I did JUMP Math from K-3 and went to CTC Math. My gifted son we hodge podged math. My upcoming first grader seems like she has some math intuition so I want to challenge her but the two options I know of Beast Academy and Singapore Dimensions have so many moving parts that it makes my head spin. What are some other options I'm not thinking of? 

33 minutes ago, alysee said:

For my older kids I did JUMP Math from K-3 and went to CTC Math. My gifted son we hodge podged math. My upcoming first grader seems like she has some math intuition so I want to challenge her but the two options I know of Beast Academy and Singapore Dimensions have so many moving parts that it makes my head spin. What are some other options I'm not thinking of? 

Isn't BA a single book for level 1?

Research Parent has a free math curriculum called Minimalist Math.  Its just 10 math problems a week, but the point is you sit down and explain or have the child figure out how to get the answer to each one.  That, play with a few manipulatives and work on memorizing addition/subtraction math facts should be enough.

https://researchparent.com/learn/mathematics/minimalist-math-curriculum/

• Like 1

Singapore Math US edition? Home instructors guide, workbook, textbook. And at this level, to be honest, I almost never bothered using the home instructors guide because it all seemed straightforward to my fairly bright kids and it was easy to implement. Note that there are two workbooks and two textbooks but they correspond with each other -- first half of the year is textbook A/workbook A, second half is textbook B/workbook B.

Edited by jboo
forgot a B
  • Like 1

What are the things you are looking for in a program? 

Singapore Math did a great update in 2022.  I used it for K and liked it- workbook and teaching in the same book, but it does have Book A, Book B - one for each semester.   

Math Mammoth is very straightforward and easy to use.  

Miquon- I've used it in pieces over the years, depends on the kid if they like it or not.

• Like 1