Menu

5th Grade Planning 2024-25

I didn't see a thread for 5th grade, sorry if it's a repeat! This is the only grade I hadn't planned out yet, so here we go. I'd love to see what everyone else is up to!

Math: TGTB 4 & 5 (& maybe Math Mammoth)

Science & Nature:

• Blossom & Root Level 2 - Plants & Fungi - starting over summer with younger brother, ties in with the Botany her older siblings are doing
  • Beginning Herbalism unit from Wild Learning
  • Kids' Herb Book + Boreal Herbal - identifying local plants and their uses
  • A bit of gardening, focus on our unique climate
  • Wilderness first aid & survival skills/bushcraft
  • Blossom & Root Level 5 - Astronomy (over winter, since we can't see the stars at other times of the year)
  • maybe some Mystery Science
  • For the Love of Homeschooling Nature Study units

History:

• Prehistory, evolution, paleontology/archaeology & mythology
  • Blossom & Root Prehistoric Life from Level 3
  • Build Your Library's Evolution unit, & Prehistory unit
  • Layers of Learning Ancients

Canadian Studies:

• Geography - Great Canadian Adventure's Canadian Geography
  • Geography - The Canadian Adventure (Canadian Homeschooler)
  • History - My Canadian Time Capsule (Canadian Homeschooler)
  • History - Great Canadian Adventure's Canadian History
  • History - DIY Year 2

Language Arts:

• Grammar: Fix It?
  • Reading: Lightning Literature
  • Writing: Using Language Well 1 
  • Spelling: Spelling Wisdom 1, Sequential Spelling
  • Handwriting: Canadian Handwriting
Edited by AsgardCA

We're not for sure homeschooling next year yet but I've been planning for ds(11) to do 5th grade next year. We will start this summer as a trial run before I decide if we will homeschool. Here's what I have planned:

Math: TGTB Math 4 (It should be a little easy for him to begin with but there are some topics in the middle and end of the year that I definitely want him to have more practice on.)

Language Arts: Core Knowledge, grade 5

Spelling: Homemade spelling program using parts of SWR and Spelling Power

Grammar: Macmillian Treasures Grammar, grade 4 (he's not had much grammar and this looked like a good starting place for him)

History and Geography: Core Knowledge, grade 5

Science: Core Knowledge, grade 5 or maybe Noeo Chemistry II, haven't fully decided

Memory Work: Anki

Coding: At-Home Middle School coding

Japanese: his choice, just dabbling in it for now with Duolingo

Penmanship: I want him to learn cursive, I'll probably just buy a workbook of some kind

He will probably also have one or more Outschool classes, more for socializing than anything else. Probably Minecraft related.

• Like 1

I hadn't seen one for 5th grade yet, either! My youngest will be in 5th next year. Here's what I have so far...

* Math: Finish Beast Academy 5, then some prealgebra. I don't know that AOPS will be a good fit for him. We'll see. Regardless of what we use, I do want to start teaching him LaTeX at that point.

* Science: it will be a life science year, but that's all I know. I haven't even started looking for resources. I used Elemental Science's Biology for the Logic Stage with my girls, but I don't think that will work for him.

* History: From Adam to Us (Notgrass). We'll probably spread it over two years. He's been doing Our Star-Spangled Story and that has worked well, so hopefully this will too.

* Reading: mom-selected books. 

* Writing: mom-designed writing assignments.

* Latin: continuing Lively Latin 2.

* Bible: continuing Bible Study Guide for All Ages.

* Possibly some coding? Right now he just does that for fun from time to time, so I'm not sure about the wisdom of making it a School Subject for this kid.

* Homeschool Orchestra (violin). Maybe private lessons as well...not sure about that.

*Taekwondo (private lessons).

• Like 1

Mine did a trial run of hybrid school this year (4th) and we're pulling her back out at the end of the year. Super excited to do this again!

Summer: Primary Math 5, Kilgallon Sentence Composing for Elementary School, and lots of reading (Already doing this now to supplement Hybrid School, will continue some math/English over the summer)

English: ELTL E, 180 Days of Spelling, lots of reading 

Math: Saxon 7/6, Square One (PBS TV show)

Science: Physics for the Grammar Stage (LEGO, K'nex, Snap Circuits galore!)

History: SOTW 4 and all the supplemental reading, one project per chapter 

Technology: Scratch

E/C: Ninja Warrior, LEGO Robotics, Spanish,  4H Rocket Club

Just started thinking about this, and I'm eager to see what others are planning as this will be my first time with 5th grade. 

Math: Dimensions 5 (from Singapore Math)

History: SOTW 2 Middle Ages with some items pulled from the activity guide as well as literature set in the time period for Reading. 

Science: still deciding but will likely focus on life science. This is an area where I really slacked off for 4th, as it was kind of a stay afloat year for us. Hoping to do a big marine science unit with my sister and her crew since they live near the beach. 

Grammar: Well-Ordered Language Level 3. WOL has worked really well for us in previous levels, so we're planning on going all the way through. 

Writing: more IEW

Spelling: continuing with All About Spelling

Geography: Looking at Guest Hollow Jr. Geography and Cultures to pair with the high school version for my big kids

On 3/13/2024 at 2:25 PM, sweet2ndchance said:

We're not for sure homeschooling next year yet but I've been planning for ds(11) to do 5th grade next year. We will start this summer as a trial run before I decide if we will homeschool. Here's what I have planned:

Math: TGTB Math 4 (It should be a little easy for him to begin with but there are some topics in the middle and end of the year that I definitely want him to have more practice on.)

Language Arts: Core Knowledge, grade 5

Spelling: Homemade spelling program using parts of SWR and Spelling Power

Grammar: Macmillian Treasures Grammar, grade 4 (he's not had much grammar and this looked like a good starting place for him)

History and Geography: Core Knowledge, grade 5

Science: Core Knowledge, grade 5 or maybe Noeo Chemistry II, haven't fully decided

Memory Work: Anki

Coding: At-Home Middle School coding

Japanese: his choice, just dabbling in it for now with Duolingo

Penmanship: I want him to learn cursive, I'll probably just buy a workbook of some kind

He will probably also have one or more Outschool classes, more for socializing than anything else. Probably Minecraft related.

Hake/Saxon grammar includes topics from core knowledge for their grammar practice, which you might like. The writing lessons are in a separate workbook and are probably unnecessary if your doing writing integrated with CKLA.

• Like 1

My 5th grader next year will be doing some stuff with older sister, some with little brother, and some on his own.

Math: finish BA 5, start AOPS PreAlgebra and/or Patty -Paper geometry

ELA: Mosdos lit and assorted novels for lit, AAS finish 5 and continue into 6 and maybe 7, MCT finish Island and go to Town for Vocab/Grammar/Writing

History: SOTW Middle Ages

Science: REAL Science Odyssey Biology level 2

Music: singing and Hand bells at church

PE: co-op style Homeschool PE, gymnastics

Last year of Cub Scouts, beginning Scouts BSA

I'll be trying to do French and a few other things, too, but we'll see what actually happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Rod & Staff Math 

math tutoring 

Rod & Staff English (combined with 4th grader)

Pathway Readers with workbooks (pick & choose exercises). 

Book Club with me 

Vocab from Classical Roots 

Pentime Cursive

Dictation Day by Day (combined w/ 4th grader)

TPT Journal prompts and a few other fun resources. 

No Sweat Nature Study 

Ancients (Greenleaf and STOC audio) 

Ambleside book recs, picture study and composer study loop. 

Electives: Typing and computer science, chess, and robotics. 

Handicrafts: machine sewing, soapstone carving, and stained glass. 

Bible: Genesis (soap method). Not sure if I will add in anything else since the kids do personal devos in the mornings and we do family devos at night. 

I would like to do an election unit in October/November. I also have materials for an economics unit. We will see if we have time to squeeze it in. I might pause Ancient history. 

I’m still deciding if we will do Christmas School and fun theme days next year. I enjoy them, but it does take us away from our regular book work.

Language arts tgab level 4

Art tgab

Spelling tgab and dyslexia tutor

Math tgab level 5

History Sonlight C with 5th grade readers & Little school of smiths Adventure to a new world

Science Gods design Heaven & Earth

So I've been working on getting things ready for this summer/next year and I'm taking it as a bad sign that the Core Knowledge teacher manuals are more frustrating than helpful. I love the idea of them but in practice... I'm not sure they are going to work for us.

So here is my current revised plan for next year...

Math: TGTB Math 4

Language Arts:  DIY language arts; basically I'm choosing novels and then assigning copywork and perhaps sometime soon dictation. We talk about literary devices and conventions as we see them in the text and/or copywork. This has been working well as an afterschooling thing so we will continue.

Spelling: Homemade spelling program using parts of SWR and Spelling Power

Grammar: The Macmillan text I found frustrated him, like I said he hasn't had much grammar, so I think we will try out Beowulf's Grammar. He loves dogs lol We are also doing a little grammar practice with the copywork above as well.

History and Geography: I'm thinking SOTW. I can't find my SOTW volume 1 so I'll have to reorder it.

Science: At Home Middle School Life Science  Making my own science studies based on the WTM science plans plus library books on whatever he wants to study

Memory Work: Anki

Coding: At-Home Middle School coding

Japanese: his choice, just dabbling in it for now with Duolingo

Penmanship: I taught him cursive in a week and he's doing great with it so just the copywork to practice

Edited by sweet2ndchance

Bible/Character: Bible Study Guide for All Ages, Foundations Worldview, Manners Made Easy, learn a new hymn once a month

Language Arts: Hake Grammar, IEW, All About Spelling, Vocabulary Virtuoso, lots of reading

Math: Saxon 6/5

History: Heritage Studies 5

Science: The Good & The Beautiful - Health/Physical Body, Health/Human Mind, and Safety courses

PE: swimming, speed walks on the treadmill for 15 minutes a day, some days she's willing to join me in my workouts

Other: Keyboarding without Tears, weekly craft projects with her little siblings, baking