Menu

What is wrong with my dog?

Scarlett

I will be taking her to the vet in the morning…..but she won’t eat and I don’t think she is drinking either.  She has vomited several times and a few other times tried to vomit but there is nothing in her stomach….last BM was Friday evening….. but not surprising since she won’t eat.  

She hates the vet so much I hate to take her if it isn't necessary….should I try to tempt her with something she loves like peanut butter?  I was thinking at first if she had an upset stomach to just let her not eat all day….but now we are 48 hours..

Any ideas?

Edited to add she is a German Shorthair Pointer Mix.  And she isn’t acting lethargic.  

Edited by Scarlett

She’s still dry heaving? If so then no, I wouldn’t try to coerce her to eat. Do try to get her to drink a little water regularly, or lick some ice cubes. Preventing dehydration is more important than eating. 

6 minutes ago, Pippen said:

I'd take her in. Is it possible she has a blockage? Does she eat non-food items?

Ditto. If nothing is going in or out for 24 hours, I wouldn’t wait if it were me. Would she drink a little diluted low sodium broth? Because if she vomits water back up also, I’d get right in the car. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pippen said:

I'd take her in. Is it possible she has a blockage? Does she eat non-food items?

No.  I mean she shreds her stuffed animals but doesn’t eat any of the shredded stuff….we gave her a new duck yesterday and it isn’t shredded at all.  

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

She’s still dry heaving? If so then no, I wouldn’t try to coerce her to eat. Do try to get her to drink a little water regularly, or lick some ice cubes. Preventing dehydration is more important than eating. 

She hasn’t dry heaved today that I have seen…..I just gave her some peanut butter on a couple of dog treats and she gobbled it up.  She was also very interested in some pulled pork left over on my plate but I did not let her have it.  She licked and then crunched an entire ice cube out of my hand, but wouldn’t drink the fresh water I put down for her

I can’t say for positive she hasn’t had any water.  I have been gone a good part of the day and she is known to drink out of the toilet. 🤢 She is super weird….the water in her bowl has to be super fresh or she will go drink out of the toilet.  I don’t get that at all.  

I’m so sorry your pup is sick. The cause of vomiting is such a hard thing to diagnose. With one of my dogs, it turned out to be a very sludgy gall bladder that needed treatment. Years ago, I had a cocker spaniel with vomiting and dry heaving and he ended up almost dying from pancreatitis. Obviously it can be non-serious issues as well. But taking her in for this is a good idea, even if she’s scared. 

Hoping she feels better asap!

• Like 1

Ok Dh woke up and told me while I was gone he watched her in the yard trying to poop several times and then she finally did. Part of it was really squishy icky with red blood in it and the other part looked normal and there was quite a bit of it. 
I forgot this part but last night she slept in our bed all night (which is not her norm) and before I went to sleep she was shaking fairly violently. Dh said she was doing that again this morning. 
I don’t think she has a blockage… but something is going on. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KSera said:

Would she drink a little diluted low sodium broth

Poor thing. I can't recommend anything other than to make sure she stays hydrated until you can take her in.  Adding broth helps to entice them to drink, so at least they are getting some fluids in. 

56 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Ok Dh woke up and told me while I was gone he watched her in the yard trying to poop several times and then she finally did. Part of it was really squishy icky with red blood in it and the other part looked normal and there was quite a bit of it. 
I forgot this part but last night she slept in our bed all night (which is not her norm) and before I went to sleep she was shaking fairly violently. Dh said she was doing that again this morning. 
I don’t think she has a blockage… but something is going on. 

It sounds like some sort of gastroenteritis (blood in stool plus shaking, which is often a sign of pain). It could be from some unknown bug, something like giardia, or something she ate that just didn't agree with her. You definitely need to take her in. At the least I suspect she needs a course of metronidazole, and possibly a Cerenia injection to help the vomiting/calm her tummy.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

It sounds like some sort of gastroenteritis (blood in stool plus shaking, which is often a sign of pain). It could be from some unknown bug, something like giardia, or something she ate that just didn't agree with her. You definitely need to take her in. At the least I suspect she needs a course of metronidazole, and possibly a Cerenia injection to help the vomiting/calm her tummy.

That is what we are thinking too. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't let her have any more peanut butter or anything else fatty for now. I'd stick with bland things--think the dog version of the BRAT diet. Some well cooked white rice and skinless white meat chicken would be good.

47 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I wouldn't let her have any more peanut butter or anything else fatty for now. I'd stick with bland things--think the dog version of the BRAT diet. Some well cooked white rice and skinless white meat chicken would be good.

Ok. She is picking at her food now. 

43 minutes ago, KSera said:

Has she vomited any more today or has what she has eaten and had to drink stayed down?

No vomiting today. 
She ate another ice cube and then came and drank some of her water.