Menu

Bosch mixer on lift up mixer shelf

busymama7

I am getting a new kitchen and there are so many details to figure out. I am hoping for a lift up mixer shelf/cupboard but they are designed more for kitchen aids and I have a Bosch like this. I may actually also get a kitchen aid but for now I use the Bosch a lot for bread etc.  Does anyone know if it will work? It's walks a lot but the designer suggested they build a lip around it.  

Screenshot_20240221_152304_Chrome.jpg

Some of the big box stores (Lowe's Home Depot) will have the cabinets on display. I literally carried my kitchen stuff there to try them out in the cabinets. 

You can also ask the designer for the dimensions of the drawer and shelf. They have a detailed drawing specification in their catalog thing. They should be able to tell you the entire dimension at which point you can know if your mixer fits. 

Edited by Clarita
Typing on my phone.
  • Thanks 1

If it physically fits the space I don't know why a kitchen aid would work and your Bosch wouldn't. The weight? (the specifications on the shelf should tell you if it can handle the weight, but the kitchen aid is pretty heavy). 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Clarita said:

If it physically fits the space I don't know why a kitchen aid would work and your Bosch wouldn't. The weight? (the specifications on the shelf should tell you if it can handle the weight, but the kitchen aid is pretty heavy). 

So the Bosch is definitely lighter. But it just moves SO much when kneading bread.  I just don't know if it will work.  

11 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

If it’s light, why would you even need or want a shelf that lifts it? 

Well that's an interesting consideration 😜. Mostly I think I saw them and was like hey I want one. And now I'm debating if it's practical.  But also in my current arrangement I don't have a lot of counter space and so I was thinking it would be nice but the new kitchen actually will have a lot. Oh also where I have it stored now is such a hassle to get it out and put it back.  But that may already be improved with the new set up too. Hmmm. 

1 minute ago, busymama7 said:

Mostly I think I saw them and was like hey I want one. And now I'm debating if it's practical.  But also in my current arrangement I don't have a lot of counter space and so I was thinking it would be nice but the new kitchen actually will have a lot. Oh also where I have it stored now is such a hassle to get it out and put it back.  But that may already be improved with the new set up too. Hmmm. 

I totally get it I did think of getting this type of cabinet for my stand mixer. The size and shape ended up not being practical for my space is the only reason I don't have it. Of course now my stand mixer just lives on the countertop. So in my dreams I still like to fit the stand mixer shelf into my kitchen.

Just now, Clarita said:

I totally get it I did think of getting this type of cabinet for my stand mixer. The size and shape ended up not being practical for my space is the only reason I don't have it. Of course now my stand mixer just lives on the countertop. So in my dreams I still like to fit the stand mixer shelf into my kitchen.

So I don't have a kitchen aid but I want one so first thought of doing two but now that I've seen the layout the designer came up with I know I only want one.   So if I went ahead and put it in and it didn't make sense for the Bosch I could get a kitchen aid and use it for that.  I've never wanted both because of space but now with more availability I think I do.  

• Like 1

How do you keep the Bosch from walking off the counter now? The shelf would be like a counter while it is in use. I don't see a problem with adding a lip to the shelf, except I would want to keep the front open. The open front would make it a lot easier to wipe up flour spills and get the machine in and out if needed. That may not be a concern for the Bosch, but when lifting out my KitchenAid I often catch the foot on the 1" lip of the shelf. My KitchenAid lives on a sliding, but not lifting, shelf.

Nothing to do with the shelf, but regarding replacing your mixer:  If you search, there is a thread on here where America's Test Kitchen did not recommend Kitchen Aids for bread mixing because the motor can't take it. It was something about KA saying they didn't recommend using the mixer at a certain speed over a certain number of minutes which meant that breadmaking was out.  So I would not replace your current mixer with a Kitchen Aid if you like it and it works well.  

I wonder why ATK didn’t  review the Bosch.

They did several years back, but they set aside it being a workhouse and claimed it didn’t do small batches well..like a cake, or whipping cream, therefore they didn’t recommend it. At least that’s how I remember it. 

8 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

How do you keep the Bosch from walking off the counter now? The shelf would be like a counter while it is in use. I don't see a problem with adding a lip to the shelf, except I would want to keep the front open. The open front would make it a lot easier to wipe up flour spills and get the machine in and out if needed. That may not be a concern for the Bosch, but when lifting out my KitchenAid I often catch the foot on the 1" lip of the shelf. My KitchenAid lives on a sliding, but not lifting, shelf.

I have to stand there and hold it the whole time. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, cintinative said:

Nothing to do with the shelf, but regarding replacing your mixer:  If you search, there is a thread on here where America's Test Kitchen did not recommend Kitchen Aids for bread mixing because the motor can't take it. It was something about KA saying they didn't recommend using the mixer at a certain speed over a certain number of minutes which meant that breadmaking was out.  So I would not replace your current mixer with a Kitchen Aid if you like it and it works well.  

Oh no not replace. In addition to.  I don't use the Bosch for things like cookies or whipped cream or cakes. It's too large and bulky. I want a kitchen aid for what I currently use a hand mixer for.  But bread would still be in the Bosch for sure. I've had it 22 years at this point. It's a workhorse!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KatieJ said:

I wonder why ATK didn’t  review the Bosch.

They did several years back, but they set aside it being a workhouse and claimed it didn’t do small batches well..like a cake, or whipping cream, therefore they didn’t recommend it. At least that’s how I remember it. 

That's exactly my experience. Great for bread and wouldn't change it but everything else is currently done with a hand mixer and I would like the kitchen aid for that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

That's exactly my experience. Great for bread and wouldn't change it but everything else is currently done with a hand mixer and I would like the kitchen aid for that. 

I have used it for large (5#] batches of meatloaf for the freezer, and larger batches of cookies..etc. 

Whipping cream, cake, Etc, the old hand mixer comes out.  
I have no room for KA. They are much Cuter tho! 

7 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

I have a Bosch mixer that I use regularly for bread (I mix four loaves of 100% whole wheat bread at a time, so it's a lot of dough).  In 11 years, I've had it move around one time.  I wonder if there's something off kilter with yours?  Because mine would be happy on a shelf (which I didn't even know existed before this thread).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

Yikes, that sounds tedious. It shouldn't do that (obviously). Even if you strapped it to a shelf, that much motion might be more than the shelf supports could handle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amira said:

I have a Bosch mixer that I use regularly for bread (I mix four loaves of 100% whole wheat bread at a time, so it's a lot of dough).  In 11 years, I've had it move around one time.  I wonder if there's something off kilter with yours?  Because mine would be happy on a shelf (which I didn't even know existed before this thread).

Really?!?! Huh.  I don't remember always having to do this but it did walk off the counter once about 5 years ago and broke the bowl. I had to get a replacement.  So I'm super paranoid now.  There is no longer a repair shop in my town but I can take it somewhere when you go to see my kids. 

1 hour ago, Miss Tick said:

Yikes, that sounds tedious. It shouldn't do that (obviously). Even if you strapped it to a shelf, that much motion might be more than the shelf supports could handle.

Yeah.... That's what I'm worried about.  Maybe I just just scrap the whole idea.  

1 hour ago, KatieJ said:

I have used it for large (5#] batches of meatloaf for the freezer, and larger batches of cookies..etc. 

Whipping cream, cake, Etc, the old hand mixer comes out.  
I have no room for KA. They are much Cuter tho! 

I haven't either had room for both but with the remodel I think I will so I'm excited.  

• Like 1

I’ve been mixing bread dough in a Kitchenaid Artisan (not the mini, but the tilt head one) for 15 years. I tend to let the dough knead for 8-10 minutes.  I do mix at a low speed, but the high speeds are so high it just felt like lower was the right choice. We are a smaller family, and I never do more than two loaves at a time, but I make whole wheat breads all the time and I haven’t had an issue.

I’ve been using this mixer once or twice a week since I got it in 2008. It gets more use in the winter and less in the summer. I DID replace my dough hook with a stainless steel one about two weeks ago. After 15 years in the dishwasher the white coating started to chip. It’s fine on the paddle attachment, but I use the dough hook more than anything. 

I’ll admit to also coveting the lifty shelf thing.  However, I’d still have to move the mixer to the counter to use the puree attachment and I have my eye on a few other attachments. 

1 hour ago, busymama7 said:

Really?!?! Huh.  I don't remember always having to do this but it did walk off the counter once about 5 years ago and broke the bowl. I had to get a replacement.  So I'm super paranoid now.  There is no longer a repair shop in my town but I can take it somewhere when you go to see my kids. 

I can do 10 cups of flour at a time, which makes 6 loaves of bread. I make a friend h bread recipe my mom wrote, but I grind my own wheat berries and add multi grain cereal…so it’s decently healthy with very little white bread flour in it.
I don’t recall have it walk around ever. 
I agree something might be off kilter with yours, or maybe the dough was just unbalanced that time. 

Edited by KatieJ

• 3 weeks later...

I also have a Kitchenaid mixer and haven't faced any issues yet. 

What did you end up doing? Maybe it is worth addressing a shop that sells both brands and asking about it. I can also suggest checking frigidaire reviews for this kind of information. People often share helpful thoughts about appliances there. 

Edited by Rosla