Menu

What should our 8th grade year look like?

You also might find some of these threads to be helpful. They are all linked in the big "High School Motherlode #1" thread pinned at the top of the WTM High School Board. (Which, BTW, 8th grade is a great time for YOU to start reading, researching about high school, so you have an idea of what you need/want to accomplish in grades 9-12 -- and that in turn helps you think about what you might want to do in 8th grade to prepare... 😉 )

To those of you with 8th graders (or thereabouts) -- wonderful old thread from @Nan in Mass

GENERAL TOPICS
Preparing for high school (looking ahead from middle school)
If you knew then what you know now 
(what would you do differently for Logic stage years)
High school parents: looking back what would be your ideal for 7th/8th grades 
8th grade goals: What skills do your kids need to practice before high school?
Hypothetical question: What to do for the 4 years before public high school?
How best to prepare for high school?

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

You also might find some of these threads to be helpful. They are all linked in the big "High School Motherlode #1" thread pinned at the top of the WTM High School Board. (Which, BTW, 8th grade is a great time for YOU to start reading, researching about high school, so you have an idea of what you need/want to accomplish in grades 9-12 -- and that in turn helps you think about what you might want to do in 8th grade to prepare... 😉 )

PLANNING / SCHEDULING
General Discussions
To parents of freshmen, sophomores next year -- wonderful old thread from @Nan in Mass

GENERAL TOPICS
Preparing for high school (looking ahead from middle school)
If you knew then what you know now 
(what would you do differently for Logic stage years)
High school parents: looking back what would be your ideal for 7th/8th grades 
8th grade goals: What skills do your kids need to practice before high school?
Hypothetical question: What to do for the 4 years before public high school?
How best to prepare for high school?

Perfect! Thank you!

8th grade is just the next step- no need to worry too much about it.  Think about the skills you want to work on- stamina, note-taking, independence, typing, organization.  Write those goals down before you start working on picking programs.  8th Grade is the last year that things don't "count" for high school, so you are still free to do as you please without worrying about putting things into credits.  I will be trying out some new programs next year, trying to get a better idea of where she is headed in high school.  My kids usually move on to DE in 11th grade, so just 3 more years with me!  For 3 of my older 4 kids, 8th grade was mostly high school level curriculum.  The next one will be as well.  She's academically ready!  I have always kept their stuff as if it could go on the HS transcript,  but so far I have left it off bc high school had so much without it.  

• Thanks 1

I think literature study guides could be a good way to add some depth. I really like the Total Language Plus study guides, they can be done independently.

Science is a great way of stepping it up as well.  They can do the experiments on their own and keep a lab notebook. Again with science, a lot can be done independently. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...