Menu

Hypothetical Question: what to do 4 years before public high school?

Let's say you planned on homeschooling through 8th grade and then enrolling your child in ps high school.

What would you focus on in the 5th -8th grade years to prepare a child for a positive academic experience in high school?

Basically just throw some thoughts out at me. This isn't necessarily specific.

Language Arts: Obviously you would want the basics of handwriting/cursive/typing, spelling, grammar to be solid and a non-issue. Where would you want them to be as far as their writing skills? Creative writing, dictation skills, outlining/note-taking, essays and research skills etc. Also how about vocabulary, roots, Latin/greek, other foreign languages?

What literature selections would you expect them to be familiar with or to have read? Where would you expect them to be as far as literary analysis? Any other lang arts ideas?

Math: You would want them to get through pre-algebra? Or higher? What math supplements would you want them to do? How about logic and problem solving? Would you stick with one math program sequence, supplement with another?

Science and History: Going through a WTM rotation twice seems sufficient, but is it? What other ideas do you have about history and science skills by the end of 8th grade?

Other topics: art and music, philosophy/logic, life skills and so on. Thoughts?

I sort of have my own ideas, but I'm curious what forum members would say.

Pros and cons of homeschooling just up to high school welcome too.

Test-taking skills. Make sure they have practice in all different forms...multiple choice, short answer, essay.

Study skills. Goes hand-in-hand with testing, IMO.

Writing-- short answers and essays for tests. 5 paragraph essays for literature.

Vocab (for lit and languages) -- learn to study, memorize and regurgitate for tests.

Math -- make sure they have a solid grasp of whatever level you get thru. There's no sense rushing to finish Algebra is the foundation is shaky.

Science -- concepts and vocab -- make sure whatever you do, they have a solid understanding of it.

Music -- if they play instruments, see what type of music choices they will have (concert bands, string ensembles, jazz bands) and what level of proficiency they'd need to participate.

I have friends who have done this, as far as I know they just followed a pretty standard curriculum sequence, then put their kids in school for high school. I'm curious to hear what others will suggest.

That's why I ask. There doesn't seem to be a "standard" curriculum sequence in homeschooling. The sequence depends quite a bit on homeschooling philosophy and publishers or curriculum used. Throw in some mood and circumstance as well.

Would some do the bare minimum to prepare for a basic high school experience, or would some go above and beyond to prepare a student for an excellent academic experience?

That's what I'm curious about.

Would you recreate as best you can what is expected of the ps 8th graders? Or again, try to go above and beyond it?

Test-taking skills. Make sure they have practice in all different forms...multiple choice, short answer, essay.

Study skills. Goes hand-in-hand with testing, IMO.

Writing-- short answers and essays for tests. 5 paragraph essays for literature.

Vocab (for lit and languages) -- learn to study, memorize and regurgitate for tests.

Math -- make sure they have a solid grasp of whatever level you get thru. There's no sense rushing to finish Algebra is the foundation is shaky.

Science -- concepts and vocab -- make sure whatever you do, they have a solid understanding of it.

Music -- if they play instruments, see what type of music choices they will have (concert bands, string ensembles, jazz bands) and what level of proficiency they'd need to participate.

So you would basically prepare them as much as possible for the testing they will encounter?

I would find out what the honors track is for math in the district and make sure that my student followed it (assuming he/she had the cognitive ability to do so). In my neck of the woods, that means taking Algebra 1 in 7th, and Geometry in 8th. 20% of the students in my district take Geometry before 9th, and 75% take Algebra 1 before 9th.

So you would basically prepare them as much as possible for the testing they will encounter?

You need to decide that for yourself. I am just throwing out the different testing situations we've encountered. If your kids are good test takers, then maybe don't concentrate as much on those situations.

I noticed you hadn't mentioned that aspect (testing) in particular in your post.

Testing, IME, is a huge part of high school.

(I did mention other things besides testing.)

I wouldn't alter anything that we do. While my kids would have a difficult time jumping into ps at the 2nd-4th grade level, by middle school my kids are certainly far more academically grounded than ps kids b/c they have been being educationally formed via strong skill sets vs. being pushed into producing vasts amts nonsensical output. Their skills are solid.

You need to decide that for yourself. I am just throwing out the different testing situations we've encountered. If your kids are good test takers, then maybe don't concentrate as much on those situations.

I noticed you hadn't mentioned that aspect (testing) in particular in your post.

Testing, IME, is a huge part of high school.

(I did mention other things besides testing.)

I didn't mention testing mainly because it didn't occur to me while I was posting. Obviously yes they would need to be familiar with test taking skills.

I would find out what the honors track is for math in the district and make sure that my student followed it (assuming he/she had the cognitive ability to do so). In my neck of the woods, that means taking Algebra 1 in 7th, and Geometry in 8th. 20% of the students in my district take Geometry before 9th, and 75% take Algebra 1 before 9th.

What homeschool math sequence (specific curriculum) would you use to fulfill this? Would you use one sequence? Or two? Any supplements?

A few thoughts. I've had a child transition from homeschool to magnet high school and the bumps along the road for him have been almost exclusively in time management\study skills. In school, demonstrating your knowledge is constrained by time. So at home, we spent as much time as we needed to master concepts-not possible in PS. The student must take much more responsibility for going to coach class if he needs help, getting guidance on writing projects, breaking projects down and working in a team of students, some of whom may not have much motivation, or even have reliable email access at home.

I realize that I did not engender these skills nearly enough in my teaching, which for better or worse tends to be hands on, meaning I probably take way too much responsibility for keeping them on track. For young children, that is OK, but logic stage children really need to be taking much more responsibility for their own education than I have made them do in the past. I've got one more kid to get it right!

As far as test taking skills, yes, they need those. But even more, I think it's a matter of learning to think and work quickly and efficiently in all academic areas, not just testing. You are no longer the focus of the teacher's attention in high school. Getting used to that was hard for my second ds.

I did roughly what you describe.

First I would call the school and ask what level the children would have reached in key subjects so that you can make sure that you are well prepared with the basics (particularly maths, writing, foreign language). Apart from that, I would focus on building independent habits and enjoy the freedom to explore that home education offers.

Best wishes

L

A few thoughts. I've had a child transition from homeschool to magnet high school and the bumps along the road for him have been almost exclusively in time management\study skills. In school, demonstrating your knowledge is constrained by time. So at home, we spent as much time as we needed to master concepts-not possible in PS. The student must take much more responsibility for going to coach class if he needs help, getting guidance on writing projects, breaking projects down and working in a team of students, some of whom may not have much motivation, or even have reliable email access at home.

I realize that I did not engender these skills nearly enough in my teaching, which for better or worse tends to be hands on, meaning I probably take way too much responsibility for keeping them on track. For young children, that is OK, but logic stage children really need to be taking much more responsibility for their own education than I have made them do in the past. I've got one more kid to get it right!

As far as test taking skills, yes, they need those. But even more, I think it's a matter of learning to think and work quickly and efficiently in all academic areas, not just testing. You are no longer the focus of the teacher's attention in high school. Getting used to that was hard for my second ds.

This is a good point. Also I wondered what, if anything, one would do to prepare a child for the logistics of high school. Would you visit the building? Begin going to some of the high school programs and games available to the public?

You bring up some great points as far as independence. Learning to keep track of books, supplies, planning a project or assignment, using assignment books and planners, getting an assignment done in a certain amount of time. All of that would be important.

Good ideas.

Also about testing. Would using something like a Spectrum test prep book be enough, as well as any tests available in the homeschool programs one uses? If you lived in a state that didn't require standardized testing, would you do one with them anyway? Which test?

Would you introduce a grading system to familiarize them with that concept?

This is a good point. Also I wondered what, if anything, one would do to prepare a child for the logistics of high school. Would you visit the building? Begin going to some of the high school programs and games available to the public? The boys' school ran an induction programme that got them used to the layout of the school.

You bring up some great points as far as independence. Learning to keep track of books, supplies, planning a project or assignment, using assignment books and planners, getting an assignment done in a certain amount of time. All of that would be important. Yes, this was a challenge for my boys. Scouts (especially camp) was good training.

Good ideas.

Also about testing. Would using something like a Spectrum test prep book be enough, as well as any tests available in the homeschool programs one uses? If you lived in a state that didn't require standardized testing, would you do one with them anyway? Which test? I would see what tests the school uses and try to mimic them.

Would you introduce a grading system to familiarize them with that concept? I didn't and they adapted fine.

L

As mentioned test taking skills would be helpful. If you have four years to prepare, be sure to administer a standardized test each year in order to help them prepare. If any credit courses are taken at home prior to school enrollment, such as Algebra I, understand that the new school may not accept it as credit. Contact the school prior to enrolling to determine if they will. Also, be certain their immunizations are up-to-date, and if your state requires, have a school-entry physical for each child. Make sure they read a lot to increase reading speed as this will help them with tests. Note-taking skills may prove helpful. Give them work with due dates (don't frequently remind them that it is due), and enforce the date the work is due.

Even if you did nothing to prepare, more than likely they will do fine. These tips just make the transition a bit easier.

What homeschool math sequence (specific curriculum) would you use to fulfill this? Would you use one sequence? Or two? Any supplements?

Many students could go directly from Singapore 5B into pre-algebra the following year. Singapore 6 is mostly review and a good pre-algebra book would cover the handful of topics in SM 6 that haven't been previously taught.

If I were using something other than Singapore for elementary math, I'd use something like Lial's Basic College Math in 6th to prepare for Algebra 1 in 7th. BCM is designed for remedial math at the college level and starts with the 4 operations.

Speaking as a former 8th grade teacher in a K-8 school whose students went on to a variety of high school experiences, these are the things my kiddos reported back on as being important in their new experiences:

- #1 - feel confident asking questions in the classroom and going to a teacher for help both during and after class

- ability to take notes from a variety of formats (power point presentation, demonstrations, straight-up lectures)

- ability to balance multiple assignments because most high school teachers don't care what other classes are up to (paraphrased from the kids); to this end, students who had figured out an organizational system that worked FOR THEM heading into HS had more success. Ninth graders (especially boys) might still need support using this system, but knowing that a daily assignment pad vs monthly calendar worked or color folders vs binders helped

- ability to break down long term projects into manageable chunks (or at least know that projects should be broken down and get mom to help)

- ability to complete/turn in assignments on time - lockers eat a lot of homework

- experience with timed writing - finishing an assignment/test within a class period

In terms of curriculum, again we were preparing students to head to a variety of high schools with a broad range of academic expectations for the students. In general terms, the most absolutely helpful skills were the following:

- Grammar: at a minimum, the tools of good writing (mechanics, sentence types, subject/verb agreement). Students reported that many classes either didn't teach grammar or flew through the material so quickly that it was difficult to pick up without a solid background. Deeper grammar studies are a bonus, but that is the minimum I would consider for an incoming freshman.

- Writing: the basics of an analytical or research essay - thesis, supporting arguments with evidence, overall organization of an essay (whether 5 paragraph format or other).

- Literature: some exposure to and at least one deeper study of "classic" literature (more is great, but that's the English teacher in me talking). Popular freshman reads include Shakespeare, Dickens, and Orwell. Some schools do more and some less (obviously), but the ability to handle complicated texts with only minor classroom support will always be useful.

- Math: more important than the level you are going in (assuming that the school can support that level) seems to be knowing your own learning style/how to self teach/how to get or find help. Prevent math studies from being derailed by a poor teacher or a poor text book.

HOPE_academy makes some great points.

I don't think *standardized* testing is the issue for most kids. It's not that difficult to understand what is expected in a bubble test. It's TESTING as a concept, which I didn't do much of. The concept of studying was not in my son's repertoire and trying to convince a cranky 14 year old boy to study was not very successful. IMO, it's likely to be more successful if you gradually implement a little testing first at home-in math, and in timed writing situations.

Personally, I think finding a way to introduce the concept of grades, and the linkage between them and your prospects after high school, is important too. For better or worse, my dh and I were far more achievement-oriented than our two older children have turned out to be. Maybe that's a good thing. I was careful to protect my GPA in college so that I wouldn't jeopardize my chances of getting into medical school. I didn't stick to only easy courses, far from it, but I did avoid overwhelming myself by pacing out the most challenging material. My eldest already went overboard in college and ended up with his first C-it was avoidable.

But I realize that being very grade-conscious is not a goal for everyone and that's fine. If it is your goal though, all I'm saying is that it's good to start a little before high school.

As far as math is concerned, algebra is still eighth grade, or ninth, here for the college-bound. It's introduced earlier in some schools. My friend's son, who took algebra in seventh grade, did fine, but when he transferred to private school in ninth grade, he not only failed their math placement test (to place out of algebra) he went on to fail algebra his second time through it in ninth grade. My advice would be to advance through math at a pace that is commensurate with your child's *complete* mastery and understanding of pre-algebra. That IMO is far more important than acceleration for everyone except the most math-prodigious student.

You didn't. I don't think you're reading my response correctly. Basically I was asking for clarification about the importance placed on testing.

Well, I just realized you said public school. My boys go/went to a private college prep school so my (their) experience with the level of testing probably wouldn't apply.