Menu

If you knew then what you know now

My boys are in the beginning of the logic stage. Looking back, what do you wish you had done in the logic stage? Certain skills to work on? Classes to take? Field trips, experiences, etc?

Basically, if you could have a do over, what would you do differently? Along with that, what would you not change at all because it worked out so well?

Any advice you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

My 4th dc (a boy) is in 6th grade probably in his first year of the logic stage. (I personally think the 5th grade logic stage in TWTM is rare- all of my kids have still been at grammar level at that age.) I've been doing a lot of planning lately for next year, so here are some of my conclusions....

- I am continuing with a strong grammar program. These skills must be strong to make Rhetoric level writing effective. Also, at the Rhetoric level, we don't have time to spend on a grammar program. These skills need to be solid.

- I am trying to stretch his reading level by introducing more difficult literature.

-I am teaching him to take notes from books and lectures. Notetaking is a skill that is VERY weak in many homeschools.

- I am trying to teach the thinking process that goes with writing. So many programs that I have used with my dc and my co-op classes have focused on structure and style, but often the very THOUGHTS that go into the writing are weak. I am using The Lost Tools of Writing right now and think I've found a good fit.

- I spent the first 1/2 of this school year making sure he could write strong paragraphs. It is no use to progress in writing until this skill is strong.

-My current logic stage child is strong in spelling, but if spelling is weak, this needs to be addressed ASAP. Megawords is great for this age.

- I have learned not to push a child into algebra if the basic math skills aren't strong. This child will spend a year in review before we move on to Pre-Algebra.

- This is the age that we start using textbooks for science. It's time to learn how to take notes from a book, study for a test, and take a test. If you haven't given grades before, I think now can be a good time to start in objective subjects like science.

- It's time to make the child responsible for managing his day. This may be different depending on the child, but they need to learn how to manage their own time and have natural consequences when they don't.

- While academics are building, it's also very important to make sure that kids this age get physical activity. My ds needs some activity mid-morning or his brain shuts down.

- If typing has not been taught, get a typing program now. It's really a necessary skill.

-Teach basic computer skills if they don't already know how to use a computer.

- This is a fun stage! Enjoy it! Don't be surprised if they sometimes don't seem to understand things that you think they should be ready for. Logic stage is not an overnight phenomenon.

-Start increasing shores, but make sure they can "own" the work. It's time to stop micromanaging.

-Let them start cooking! They can be a big help in the kitchen now!

I know there is more, but my kids are asking, "What's for dinner?" Why didn't I have them do it? ;)

Leanna

A few things I am SO glad we did in those middle school years:

1. Took time out of the schedule to try out all kinds of fun odds and ends.
(in high school, just don't have the time any more)

2. Took a break from history and did a year of world culture/geography and comparative religions.
(SO helpful going into high school with an understanding of other, especially NON-WESTERN peoples, for when you start your history cycle for high school)

3. Got involved with a great homeschool group with a lot of gr. 6-12 students.
(For social interaction, but also the older students draw the younger ones toward maturity, set good examples, etc.)

4. Did NOT push and make 8th grade like high school.
(You've got 4 years to do high school, and 8th grade is your last chance to be more relaxed!)

5. Spent time doing critical thinking and logic stuff (Dandylion logic series; Fallacy Detective; Thinking Toolbox; Critical Thinking in Images, Logic, Patterns; etc.).
(Really helped "set the stage" for high school for going into analyzing Literature and film; learning about worldview; discuss/debate; etc.)

BEST of luck in your logic to rhetoric stage journey! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

A few things I am SO glad we did in those middle school years:

1. Took time out of the schedule to try out all kinds of fun odds and ends.

(in high school, just don't have the time any more)

2. Took a break from history and did a year of world culture/geography and comparative religions.

(SO helpful going into high school with an understanding of other, especially NON-WESTERN peoples, for when you start your history cycle for high school)

3. Got involved with a great homeschool group with a lot of gr. 6-12 students.

(For social interaction, but also the older students draw the younger ones toward maturity, set good examples, etc.)

4. Did NOT push and make 8th grade like high school.

(You've got 4 years to do high school, and 8th grade is your last chance to be more relaxed!)

5. Spent time doing critical thinking and logic stuff (Dandylion logic series; Fallacy Detective; Thinking Toolbox; Critical Thinking in Images, Logic, Patterns; etc.).

(Really helped "set the stage" for high school for going into analyzing Literature and film; learning about worldview; discuss/debate; etc.)

BEST of luck in your logic to rhetoric stage journey! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Lori, thank you! I really needed to hear all of this right now.:D

Things I am happy I did

Followed WTM reading suggestions

Did outlining

timelines

spent time on grammar

a lot of writing-lots of shorter papers

laughed with my son!

Things I wished I'd done

start speech and debate earlier

reading easier versions of great books to prepare for highschool

more vocabulary work

As others have said, we continue to stress grammar because I believe it is so important. My second son is not a strong writer, and so I continue to work to try to help bring him up to speed for high school.

This son is stronger in languages than was my older son, who has processing issues, and so we are working more in depth on languages than I did with my older son.

He is strong in math, and I started him in a group algebra class this year with a math teacher. I am hopeful that this can continue next year. One of the other parents just suggested going to two days per week with her, and I'd love to see that happen, too. He is also strong in piano skills, and so we are continuing to encourage his advancement in that area.

I hope to get him into some of our library's computer programming courses sometime, starting next year.

My younger son has always been interested in geography, so I've continued to offer him some extra work in that area over and above what I did with my older one.

For logic studies, I've changed my plans this time around to cover informal logic first. Because of his math strengths, I'm starting formal logic next year with Nance's Intro Logic. I won't attempt to move into Cothran's books until high school.

I feel as if I did my older son somewhat of a disservice by not covering literary genres and literary analysis more thoroughly before he switched back to a private high school's honors lit classes. So I've been trying to do more of that sort of work my younger one, too.

And we're trying to keep the fun alive with lots and lots of great books, plenty of field trips, arts experiences, and other activities as those become available to us. I think you never stop tweaking and modifying for each individual child's needs, strengths, weaknesses, etc. And I believe that's as it should be....

Well, we unschooled until age 11 1/2, when dd threw herself passionately into schoolwork. I am really happy she had that time to just do whatever interested her. Then we followed a lot of Sonlight's suggestions for what to read during 6-8th grades, along with doing Spectrum math.

Dd is in 9th, but I am starting to consider her 10th grade, as she is going through her schoolwork so quickly. I think the best advice is just to follow your child -- go at her pace, follow her interests. JMHO, of course.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Thank you for posting that link. I'd searched but must not have hit the right search term. My kids and I both thank you since I enjoyed reading it this morning and the kids enjoyed their extra play time. :)

I'm enjoying all the posts. Thank you all for taking the time to post. I'm learning so much.