Menu

Did I find the solution to February burnout?

This year we're doing a couple of weeks of something totally different in February. I'm putting the science, history, grammar, normal writing, and spelling aside. Instead we're doing a family unit learning about our state history and writing a couple papers/drawings. It is a completely different schedule for me. Yesterday I sat down to plan March-April and I didn't at all feel the normal February feelings of boredom with our curriculum and rethinking everything. I was actually excited to get back to all our normal things in a couple weeks. I think I fixed my February problems! What things have you done to fix your February homeschool blues?

• Like 9

Just normalizing the February blahs has helped me persevere. Also, I plan my garden. 

For the kids, I plan extra movie nights. I need to add a couple of field trips, maybe one to a trampoline park. 

• Like 3

Third semester slump is what I call it. We get a new read-aloud, preferably one that has a movie made after it. Lots of cooking together. This year, we are changing scenery for several days and staying with family that also homeschools. 

Edited by Brittany1116
  • Like 3

Not necessarily practical, but our Februaries started getting a lot better when we started planning a midJan trip for some sunshine. 😄 We're going a little late this year, so I've been kinda having to cajole myself, up the vitamin D, etc.

• Like 4

We took time off whenever we felt like we needed it no matter the time of year.  It could be a little as a day or 2, or up to a few weeks.  

We didn't usually do school during our breaks although dc sometimes did subjects they liked on their own during the break.  It was mostly cleaning up, decluttering, hauling stuff to the dump, etc.  Sometimes I told them to find something to do while I did whatever I wanted to do (usually planning).  Other times we'd all load up into the car and explore the area we lived in, stopping at interesting spots or playgrounds or fields or streams in the woods, etc.

This worked for us during our entire hs'ing years.  And I kind of miss that now that dc are all grown and gone.  Those were some of the happiest times of my life, watching dc explore and have a blast just enjoying being kids.  🙂  

Edited by kathyl
  • Like 2