Menu

Tell me I'm not obligated . . .

gardenmom5

a number of years ago (maybe seven?) we hosted a "murder mystery" *formal* dinner as a fundraiser for four couples.  We did NOT participate in the game, ONLY those who donated to the fundraiser did.  We cooked, served, and hosted.  (we covered all of the dinner expenses out of our own pocket, all of their donations went to the recipients.)  We do not socialize with (most of) these people, and rarely even see them in passing. 

Well, we're doing a Valentine's dinner in a few weeks - and somehow . . . dh emailed out two batches of information, and ONE of them went to all of these other people! (dh had intended to invite ONE (THE ONLY ONE) of the couples that he knows well, but they're going to be out of town.) The first I knew of it, someone had responded with confusion and regrets they'd be out of town.  Dh told me he took care of it . . . Then we got another "oh, are we doing another formal dinner?" . . sounding hopeful and excited.  (remember we do NOT socialize with these people, have almost never even spent five minutes in conversation, and have barely even seen them in passing in four years.)   Dh told me he took care of it . . . I told him to make sure the last couple knew it was a mistake on his part and he's very sorry for the confusion. 

My health isn't good (improving, I have to be careful to not push too hard), and it takes a lot out of me to do anything of this event with dh doing a lot of the work.  (and I *mean* A LOT)  

Am I obligated to invite these people to this dinner?  another dinner?  something else?    three of the couples we barely even know in passing.
can I just write it off as being an unfortunate mistake, and dh supposedly apologized . . . 

• Sad 1

Nope. You throw DH under the bus and tell him he sent the invitation to the wrong mailing list and that your health won’t allow you to host a formal dinner for the foreseeable future. Wish them well and sign off. It’s easier to endure a moment of social discomfort than DAYS of physical discomfort. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I agree with @East Coast Sue and @KungFuPanda -- you're not obligated!

But... even if you were technically obligated, a little social faux pas wouldn't be a big deal anyway, because you barely know these people and you don't really care what they think of you because you don't really have any interest in being friends with them.

So you're a winner either way. 😉 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Sounds like tgey were confused by the invite too. Your husband clarified it with them directly and all is good! 

Lije  happens , mistakes happen. Grant him and your self the grace you would grant others if you were on the receiving end.

• Like 2