Menu

14 minutes ago, Drama Llama said:

Thank you!  I don’t see robotics or engineering there.  He does have access to good computer science at school.  It’s the hands on making piece that is lacking.

The classes are encompassing - computer science, electronics, building, robotics, etc. I wouldn't do it for a school student who is already doing some of those things though. 

If there's really no robotics club, then something like one of those really good home-based kits might be the best you can do.

• Thanks 1

Would he be able to get a teacher to help put together a team at his school? A FIRST Tech Challenge team is only 5-15 students. The hardest part would likely be fundraising for a new team, I think they say to plan for $2-3,000 for a first year team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FIRST Tech Challenge uses Pitsco Tetrix kits, which can be purchased here: https://www.pitsco.com/Shop/TETRIX-Robotics/&TXredir=1 

There are various competition-specific kits as well as individual pieces available, as well as the accessories you’d need for programming & control. 

ETA: This is an unofficial “getting started” guide for novice teams. Some aspects won’t apply to someone not participating in the competition, but a good chunk is useful basic knowledge for anyone getting started with the types of systems that are used in competition robotics. 

https://gm0.org/en/latest/

Edited by Shoes+Ships+SealingWax
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2024 at 6:41 PM, silver said:

Would he be able to get a teacher to help put together a team at his school? A FIRST Tech Challenge team is only 5-15 students. The hardest part would likely be fundraising for a new team, I think they say to plan for $2-3,000 for a first year team. 

I agree with this. Also, in my area, if your school doesn’t offer an extra curricular, you can attend at another school. Where I was before, there were a lot of independent First tech teams ( my third was on one.). A teacher might know of one or you might be able to find one through the FIRST website. It was a wonderful experience. 

• Thanks 1