Menu

Given this, what score would you need to get an A+?

EKS

43 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I typically see A+ listed as >= 97%

That is what it has always been until this point.  This is my last semester, so that's something like 10 classes.

What I don't understand is how a math professor could get the inequality sign turned around AND how it is that no one (as in no MATH major) has pointed it out.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, EKS said:

What I don't understand is how a math professor could get the inequality sign turned around AND how it is that no one (as in no MATH major) has pointed it out.

I can see it being a typing mistake by the professor since some of my professors at community college has similar errors. 
As for the students, some don’t read the syllabus and so would not notice the error. Some students noticed the error but do not know the professor well enough to risk letting the prof know. Of all the profs I had, there are some who are happy for me to drop them an email on any error, and there are some who can be a little vindictive. If I need a certain GPA for scholarships or whatever reason, I would not jeopardize that by letting the prof know about the error.

• Like 1

And the plot thickens...or not.

I just looked at the pdf version of the syllabus and found this:

image.png.13926bfde42840835666ef2739ef71ae.png

I suspect that this is the correct version.  Maybe the other thing was a test to see who actually reads the syllabus.

• Like 2

I am curious if the second example is the pdf of the syllabus, what type of format/file is the first example taken from?  Are there two different syllabuses posted for the class?  Is one a hard copy.  

10 hours ago, Bootsie said:

I am curious if the second example is the pdf of the syllabus, what type of format/file is the first example taken from?  Are there two different syllabuses posted for the class?  Is one a hard copy.  

The syllabus is also posted in Canvas as a webpage.

It is very common for the webpage version and the pdf version to have significant differences, probably because one gets edited over time and the other doesn't.  It is also very common for instructors to have no idea what is in their syllabus, I assume because they have inherited the class from someone else--though every time I've seen it, the inheriting happened several semesters prior, so plenty of time to actually read the thing.  

On 1/6/2024 at 9:15 AM, EKS said:

The syllabus is also posted in Canvas as a webpage.

It is very common for the webpage version and the pdf version to have significant differences, probably because one gets edited over time and the other doesn't.  It is also very common for instructors to have no idea what is in their syllabus, I assume because they have inherited the class from someone else--though every time I've seen it, the inheriting happened several semesters prior, so plenty of time to actually read the thing.  

I haven't used any of the syllabus features in a LMS because of a fear of things like this happening.  I know that there are certain things that happen in the LMS gradebook that drive me crazy and show things to students that aren't correct and it can be very difficult to turn features off so that the students can't see the incorrect information.