Menu

buying new dishes

ProudGrandma

I just got a new dishwasher and my old dishes do not fit well.  They are heavy, stoneware (and even before we needed a new dishwasher my husband and I talked about getting new dishes)....but the problem I am having is that I don't want to buy online only to find that the new ones don't fit any better than the old ones and I have to send them back.  But we have very few local stores that carry dishes (Walmart and Target are basically it.).   We are supposed to be getting a Kohl's and TJ Maxx sometime in the near future...but I am not sure just how near and I don't expect either store to be very large because of the where they are putting them.  So, I am not sure what the selection would be anyway.  

We looked at Corelle, but aren't super happy with the pattern options.  I like the look of our current dishes which are all red, stoneware.  Thinner dishes will fit better in our dishwasher, however. 

So, I guess I am asking 2 questions....1) what would you do in our situation and 2) would you buy dishes that you like regardless of how they fit in your dishwater or would you buy something you don't like as much just because they fit well? 

This happened to me. I just got Corelle. They fit so great in the new dishwasher and it made me happy. So that was a consolation. 

I also justified it by the fact that Dh is so hard on dishes. He had so many nickel scratches on the Fiestaware and they were getting heavier as I got older. 

I have accepted the Corelle. Light, white, and bright. (No scratches). lol. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

This happened to me. I just got Corelle. They fit so great in the new dishwasher and it made me happy. So that was a consolation. 

I also justified it by the fact that Dh is so hard on dishes. He had so many nickel scratches on the Fiestaware and they were getting heavier as I got older. 

I have accepted the Corelle. Light, white, and bright. (No scratches). lol. 

what pattern of corelle do you have?

I got plain white Corelle too. Mostly because I could get it at Walmart at the time I started getting worried about lead. I haven’t gotten rid of my white stoneware, but I like the Corelle much more than I thought I would because it does fit in the dishwasher, is light, and is easy to clean.