Menu

“Protest behavior”

heartlikealion

Just now, maize said:

Do you think you might enjoy DnD?

If you get into it, It could be a good way to develop more of a social group locally. I've never played myself but have a lot of family and friends who play.

I don’t know but I’m trying not to say “no way.” I started looking into it at work and saw our copy of the player handbook was missing so requested a replacement lol For me I think I may not be a great fit (I was pitched a DnD scenario and asked how my character would react. I said I probably wouldn’t get involved - witnessing a dispute. But apparently a lot of players would. I don’t know if I’d be any good at the fantasy scenarios as I don’t think I care?) And developing a character sounds like a pain. Learning rules etc. Sounds like homework! But I may just ask to sit in part of a game one night to witness it. 

I’ve been busy enough lately that I haven’t stressed too much about my social circle. I met a woman at Walmart a few weeks ago and we’re gonna get together soon. A friend from MS was here a few days ago for a concert so we met up for a meal. And pretty soon the kids will be home every other week for summer. 

• Like 2

This guy is established in his career, has some similar interests and has always wanted a family. He knows I don’t want to have any more biological kids, though. Just saying this gives some possibility of a future. He is a welder and showed me some of his work in the city. I thought that was very cool. Although he knows several people and introduced me to some females, I didn’t feel threatened at all. One of the bartenders asked if she knew me (she actually may have waited on me once as I’d been there before). I think he just knows a lot of people (some of whom are attractive ladies). 

• Like 4

He seems to be making real effort. He’s taking me to this placed called The Foundation Room on top of the House of Blues 🤷🏻‍♀️ I deliberately didn’t google it so it’s more of a surprise, only asked him appropriate attire. I plan to wear a dress. 

• Like 4

On 4/21/2024 at 4:10 PM, heartlikealion said:

I don’t know but I’m trying not to say “no way.” I started looking into it at work and saw our copy of the player handbook was missing so requested a replacement lol For me I think I may not be a great fit (I was pitched a DnD scenario and asked how my character would react. I said I probably wouldn’t get involved - witnessing a dispute. But apparently a lot of players would. I don’t know if I’d be any good at the fantasy scenarios as I don’t think I care?) And developing a character sounds like a pain. Learning rules etc. Sounds like homework! But I may just ask to sit in part of a game one night to witness it. 

I like to play sometimes but I don’t feel like I’m very good at it, role playing isn’t my strong suit.  I do like being around while other people play, it can be fun to watch.  I like the lore and the stories.  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

He seems to be making real effort. He’s taking me to this placed called The Foundation Room on top of the House of Blues 🤷🏻‍♀️ I deliberately didn’t google it so it’s more of a surprise, only asked him appropriate attire. I plan to wear a dress. 

The Foundation Room is real effort for sure! I think you should like the vibe. 

• Like 3

We had a good time and their internet/server? was down so after several attempts to pay using the app as instructed, they let us in the place for free. We ate dinner there. I am a simple person, I don’t eat half the menu. But I got a burger & fries and they were good. 

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

What's confusing about it?

The fact that it is made up week to week or campaign to campaign? I’m used to games with concrete rules, goals, options. Now you can argue that there are concrete rules (roll to see damage or whatever) but it’s a lot for me to process.  

I arrived mid game so that may be part of it but they have multiple dice on the table and I didn’t realize they use so many. The players are making their way up to this floating thing (everything was sketched out by the guy I was with) and they were able to use leaps, magic beans and who knows what else.

As a general rule, the more complex a game the harder it is for me to enjoy. It starts to feel like I’m juggling too much in my brain. 

Think of it as a story with props being co-written by everyone at the table rather than a board game, one chapter at a time.

Coming in midway doesn't really make a difference, it just feels like it does.

The dice don't matter at all as a spectator, and you'd get the hang of which to use pretty quickly if you were playing, because the DM (dude running it) would tell you.

Really, by the end of the second session playing, you'd have most of it figured out. It's slower as an observer because you're not invested at all. With your own character, that you've created yourself, you have something to care about. I haven't played for 20 years and it was the ex's hobby, not mine, and I can still feel sad about two of my long dead characters if I think about it.

5 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Think of it as a story with props being co-written by everyone at the table rather than a board game, one chapter at a time.

Coming in midway doesn't really make a difference, it just feels like it does.

That's a really good explanation.  I told a friend once it was like a group choose-your-own adventure book but with dice to add a random element to it.  

• Like 2