Menu

Random question about vintage pillowcase packaging

MercyA

I'm probably missing something obvious here, but I'm confused.

DD and I love vintage pillowcases. They tend to be higher quality and (IMHO) have a superior feel to modern pillowcases. Plus I like to buy dead stock or used in general.

There are lots of never-removed-from-package pillowcase sets on eBay. I'm noticing that a lot of the pillowcases state their measurements like this: "42x36 before hemming." Many of them also say "For 20x26 pillow, 20x30 finished size."

Why does it matter what their measurement was before hemming, especially when the finished size is stated? 

Enlighten me please. 🙂 

I'm  guessing here but I have a lot of antiques pillowcases that were my great great grandmothers. All the pillowcases have finishings on the edge that my relative finished with embroidery or crochet effect like doilies. They used the extra part for decoration and that part would not be on where the pillow would be but would lay flat showing the artwork/handiwork decoration. So the measurements may be for what pillow would fit in the case and the extra room for added designs. Some of the designs can take 6 inches of pillowcase and still have extra crochet work hanging off the case.  Hope this helps. There are a lot of pictures online if you google vintage pillowcases.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2