Menu

What is your favorite Language Arts program?

TracyR

Okay. I've been looking at different langauge arts programs and can't seem to decide. I am wanting something that incorporates grammar , writing and reading. I am going to be switching from cyberschooling to homeschooling for next school year so I'm starting now in my decision making. This will be for my older two who will be 4th and 6th grade.

Other then Christian light are there any others?

Any suggestions would be great.

Michael Clay Thompson books for grammar, vocabulary, writing. He has also written a poetry series and a book called "Classics in the Classroom" much of which is applicable to homeschool, too. I love that the grammar, vocabulary, writing and classics books all tie together.

Just as an observation, since you're using WT, you really don't need an entire LA program. All you really need is a light touch of grammar (and I do mean light, WT2 really picks up the pace with grammar!!) and something for reading if you chose. I think some daily editing work is a nice complement to WT2. I used Take 5 Minutes Daily History Editing, but anything you chose will be fine. On the reading, you could do some comprehension guides with both dc together, or you could do just comprehension guides with the 4th grader and have the older do a formal lit course like the BJU Reading. I'm doing the BJU Reading 5 with my dd this year and am VERY happy with it. In fact, my dd is clicking well with ALL the BJU stuff (ok, not the handwriting, but everything else) I'm doing this year. So I don't know your dc's personalities, but if you happen to hit a comfortable fit like that, and if you happen to fit comfortable with BJU stuff, that might make your life easy. The reading is very easy to implement and I'm finding it very worthwhile. It makes me whiz reader really stop and THINK. It incorporates outlining, notetaking, research, and other skills that I'd have to make an effort to hit otherwise. I don't think it's essential at this age (4th/5th), but I viewed it as getting on track for junior high, where I'm reluctant to do things myself and want something all spelled out. (just me)

So there you go. My suggestion is pick a grammar to go alongside your WT2, do something for reading, have them do notebooking for their history (6th gr writing paragraphs), maybe some daily editing, something for handwriting, and you're good to go!

Michael Clay Thompson books for grammar, vocabulary, writing. He has also written a poetry series and a book called "Classics in the Classroom" much of which is applicable to homeschool, too. I love that the grammar, vocabulary, writing and classics books all tie together.

I agree with this. We try Michael Clay Thompson's LA program for the first time this year, both ds and I thoroughly enjoy it. It is the best curriculum find of the year!

Just as an observation, since you're using WT, you really don't need an entire LA program. All you really need is a light touch of grammar (and I do mean light, WT2 really picks up the pace with grammar!!) and something for reading if you chose. I think some daily editing work is a nice complement to WT2. I used Take 5 Minutes Daily History Editing, but anything you chose will be fine. On the reading, you could do some comprehension guides with both dc together, or you could do just comprehension guides with the 4th grader and have the older do a formal lit course like the BJU Reading. I'm doing the BJU Reading 5 with my dd this year and am VERY happy with it. In fact, my dd is clicking well with ALL the BJU stuff (ok, not the handwriting, but everything else) I'm doing this year. So I don't know your dc's personalities, but if you happen to hit a comfortable fit like that, and if you happen to fit comfortable with BJU stuff, that might make your life easy. The reading is very easy to implement and I'm finding it very worthwhile. It makes me whiz reader really stop and THINK. It incorporates outlining, notetaking, research, and other skills that I'd have to make an effort to hit otherwise. I don't think it's essential at this age (4th/5th), but I viewed it as getting on track for junior high, where I'm reluctant to do things myself and want something all spelled out. (just me)

So there you go. My suggestion is pick a grammar to go alongside your WT2, do something for reading, have them do notebooking for their history (6th gr writing paragraphs), maybe some daily editing, something for handwriting, and you're good to go!

Thank you for the food for thought. Actually before I started cyberschooling I did use BJU reading and math and it clicked well with my oldest. She's asking for BJU math actually again. I didn't have a chance to use it with my 2nd daughter. I guess I would be trying to reinvent the wheel if I took away the WT's especially since it fits my daughters' really well too.

Right now I'm used to having everything spelled out for me as well. Its been quite a long time since I've had to put things together. I'm used to having everything right there for me.

We've taken a path of emphasizing copywork and dictation in the lower grades. It's simple, and it works! In 3rd/4th we did a year of Shurley Grammar "lite", stretching the Shurley level out over those years. Shurley is an ideal grammar stage language arts program, imo, due to the chants, repetition, and success with cementing parts of speech.

In 5th grade we begin CLE Language Arts. I couldn't be happier with it. It covers sentence diagramming, copywork, punctuation, spelling, and study skills. CLE streamlines out day. We do the CLE 2-3 days a week, alternating with either copywork or composition.

In 6th-8th grades, we add a couple of literature guides in: Total Language Plus or Progeny Press. We alternates weeks of CLE with weeks of Total Language Plus. Each program is so different, and I love how they compliment one another!

It is a toss up between CLE and Total Language Plus as my favorite. Then again, I favor Shurley "light" as an introduction to the parts of speech in 3rd or 4th grade. This is like comparing apples and oranges, but they are all excellent curriculla. I should say that I don't favor a lot of grammar workbooks or literature guides before age 10-11. There has been no downside to waiting a little longer for hard core, workbook-based grammar instruction.

Edited by Tami