Menu

Well-trained bodies - October

Laura Corin

I clicked on a 20 min cardio by fitbymik before youtube fully loaded the picture/title, so I ended up doing a HIIT workout which I usually avoid! But it had low-impact versions for lots of moves, and I chose those about half of the time. Definitely a good workout, and yeah, I could do it.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, wintermom said:

I was just about to take the dogs for a walk this, when the little pup got jumped on by accident and was limping. I'm delaying our walk, which is essentially a flat-out run for the pup, until later this afternoon when I know his paw is better.

Poor little guy : ( 

48 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

I clicked on a 20 min cardio by fitbymik before youtube fully loaded the picture/title, so I ended up doing a HIIT workout which I usually avoid! But it had low-impact versions for lots of moves, and I chose those about half of the time. Definitely a good workout, and yeah, I could do it.

Good for you!

14 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Quoting myself to add that I walked on our lane both in the morning and in the late afternoon. Gorgeous weather today and beautiful fall color. 

Glad you are getting some exercise time.

• Like 4

Monday-- 15 min lower body (this was supposed to be 40 min but home and work paperwork took way longer than planned) 30 min of pickleball between various obligations

Tuesday- I was gone from 6 am to 5 pm all I got was a walk. The girls were with me so I couldn't work out a yoga class. We did however get in a visit with an old friend and ds at college.

Wed- 30 min barre- I think I'll get in a bit of pickleball between client visits

I've had several really busy days but hoping for a couple of calmer ones. I also need a break from driving. Since Friday I've had multiple days with 3-4 hrs of driving. I don't like driving to begin with!

• Like 5

@Soror Those are long days and lots of driving! Hope things get calmer and closer to home soon!

I've been getting pretty worn out this week as well, mostly because dh and dd took a quick trip to NYC to visit family and see a show. Fun for them, but being a single parent to the puppies has been rough. Thank goodness the 3 ds's are self-sufficient! In fact, I can even send them to pick up groceries if needed. 😉 

I had to drive ds18 to his 6:30am volleyball practice, then I drove the dogs to the woods but had to wait until the sun was up (7:15). We got in a nice walk, but I'm feeling rather zombie-like now. A nap would be great, but work is too busy for that. 

• Like 5

I might have some new favorite shoes! I got in the Altra Lone Peak 6. (The 7 is the newer model but the 6s seemed to be better reviewed). Lots of room for my toes, light, comfy, airy, arch feels good, good traction,  zero heel drop, and cute. But I think I ordered a bit big. I half a half size down coming. I'm kind of in between sizes. I'd rather they they're a bit big but I'm afraid the next size will be too small.

• Like 4

On Tuesday, I spent 30 minutes on my pattern, weights and stretching.

I missed the group belt testing last week, so I was the only student who tested last night, and the whole dojo was watching me. This week also happens to be the last week a fourth degree black belt is here before he moves away. He has been with this dojo for decades. So he was in charge of my testing, and said I did my pattern very well. I'm sad he is going away because he's an excellent teacher. He also taught the class last night - he usually just observes from the back. So, my sore legs today are like his going away present. 😆 Dh asked me how I felt after testing, and I said I was more impressed with myself than I thought I would be.

Today, my plan is to practice my pattern, lift some weights, and stretch.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, knitgrl said:

I missed the group belt testing last week, so I was the only student who tested last night, and the whole dojo was watching me. This week also happens to be the last week a fourth degree black belt is here before he moves away. He has been with this dojo for decades. So he was in charge of my testing, and said I did my pattern very well. I'm sad he is going away because he's an excellent teacher. He also taught the class last night - he usually just observes from the back. So, my sore legs today are like his going away present. 😆 Dh asked me how I felt after testing, and I said I was more impressed with myself than I thought I would be.

The way you are exercising towards recovery is so impressive! Well done on the testing! 

Yoga was good last night  - I pushed myself and it felt great. This morning I went to the pool with Husband for a recovery swim - just a slow 400 metres, but it felt good. I deliberately chose the slowest lane to force myself to take it easy. The rest of the day will be reading and housework.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, knitgrl said:

Many congratulations! You've shown such dedication. It sounds like your hard work is paying off.

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

The way you are exercising towards recovery is so impressive! Well done on the testing! 

Yoga was good last night  - I pushed myself and it felt great. This morning I went to the pool with Husband for a recovery swim - just a slow 400 metres, but it felt good. I deliberately chose the slowest lane to force myself to take it easy. The rest of the day will be reading and housework.

I'm impressed with your swimming. Even slow 400 m would be quite a workout for me. I should practice it more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@knitgrl Congratulations on passing your belt test! Extra kudos for doing the test solo and with a large audience! It's a good way to build self-confidence, but can be unnerving. Great job!!

@Laura Corin A recovery swim sounds lovely! Have you done much swimming in the sea lately? I remember your photos of the sea pool and your wetsuit. So impressive!

------------------------------------

Dh is back home again, so I'm no longer a single puppy parent. So much easier to share the tasks! Puppy is sleeping better and better, but still getting up at 6am. 

We got in two lovely dog walks in the woods yesterday, and hopefully we'll get one in today. 

Tomorrow I'm scheduled to play some ladies doubles tennis. That should be fun!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I'm impressed with your swimming. Even slow 400 m would be quite a workout for me. I should practice it more.

I took adult swimming classes in my late thirties and basically learned all the strokes from scratch again. It made an enormous difference to the efficiency of my swimming - freestyle no longer left me panicky for lack of oxygen. 

@wintermom I haven't swum in the sea for a while. It's nice to do but not an efficient use of exercise time. Maybe when I retire.

I've spent some time today picking up fallen apples in the rain, putting them out for neighbours and taking bags around to friends. Lots of good bending and carrying.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I took adult swimming classes in my late thirties and basically learned all the strokes from scratch again. It made an enormous difference to the efficiency of my swimming - freestyle no longer left me panicky for lack of oxygen. 

@wintermom I haven't swum in the sea for a while. It's nice to do but not an efficient use of exercise time. Maybe when I retire.

I've spent some time today picking up fallen apples in the rain, putting them out for neighbours and taking bags around to friends. Lots of good bending and carrying.

I did lessons in my 20s and some in my 30s but I'm still horribly inefficient. Now, my schedule is busy enough I don't want to add anything to it, although I always had a dream of doing a triathlon (short). Oh, well!

Yesterday- 40 min full body strength + walk 

Today I'll be catching up around the house and maybe a small walk? The weather is supposed to be iffy.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 5

Yesterday I did a short treadmill session--15 min I think. I wanted a stretchy yoga today but I found Adriene's annual Halloween themed session--Bride of Plankenspine--and did that. It was still pretty good for low-back stretching (forward folds, child's pose) and I could do the planks, even the side planks, as we didn't have to hold them too long.

We're headed into parent conferences this week and we have Friday off after that marathon, so I only have to teach Monday and Tuesday. So not quite so much school work to do this weekend. Sunny but finally cold this weekend. Just checked my watch and we're at 30° right now but will warm up to high 50's.

• Like 5

Yesterday, I took a 25 minute walk, followed by pattern practice and stretching. Today, I lifted some weights, with dh on hand to make sure my form is ok. We have a very busy weekend, with several extra activities for children, so that is all that is going to happen over the next two days.

• Like 5

I took a walk with a friend today. Awkward because teen came along, asked to look at a special area of the park on her own, and then got mixed up on the various paths. My friend, who is older with dementia, was really worried about teen and couldn't stop walking and looking for teen. We did find teen and all's well that ends well, but awkward. 

I have also scheduled myself to do actual fitness this week. Now that teen has been here a week and a half, we're hoping to start settling into a groove. It's been an intense adjustment for all of us.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Yesterday I did a short treadmill session--15 min I think. I wanted a stretchy yoga today but I found Adriene's annual Halloween themed session--Bride of Plankenspine--and did that. It was still pretty good for low-back stretching (forward folds, child's pose) and I could do the planks, even the side planks, as we didn't have to hold them too long.

We're headed into parent conferences this week and we have Friday off after that marathon, so I only have to teach Monday and Tuesday. So not quite so much school work to do this weekend. Sunny but finally cold this weekend. Just checked my watch and we're at 30° right now but will warm up to high 50's.

Adriene is a hoot! Best wishes on your long week.

11 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I took a walk with a friend today. Awkward because teen came along, asked to look at a special area of the park on her own, and then got mixed up on the various paths. My friend, who is older with dementia, was really worried about teen and couldn't stop walking and looking for teen. We did find teen and all's well that ends well, but awkward. 

I have also scheduled myself to do actual fitness this week. Now that teen has been here a week and a half, we're hoping to start settling into a groove. It's been an intense adjustment for all of us.

I'm glad to hear that things are settling down after a stressful outing.

• Like 4

This am: upper body workout

We're supposed to hike today but the weather is looking icky all day. We have rain jackets and waterproof shoes but I think we'll just skip it. It's been so busy I really wanted to just walk by the house but it is youth season (kids can hunt deer with guns). I don't like to walk the woods then and I don't want to go off very far as I've had so much driving. So, might be a good day to just take off.

I barely eeked out my step goals this week with busyness and fatigue at the beginning of the week last week but I did and got in my workouts. I'm starting strength workouts on Sunday again because I've got go out of town on Tuesday and don't know that I'll have much time.

This week's plan- 

sun: upper body strength

Mon: lower body strength

tues: short mobility (got to go out of town for dr appt)

wed: barre or yoga 

thurs: short HIIT 

Fri: full body strength

I'm not sure if I'll get to pickleball and I'm not sure when they'll have it with the weather making outside play iffy. It might not happen this week. 

Do you guys remember the 800 g challenge? This popped up online. I knew it sounded familiar so I searched and I'd posted about it nearly 4 years ago (Jan 2020). It was so interesting to read the thread from then (I miss some regular posters :(). I'm going to make a new thread about that. You ladies know I enjoy challenges that are quantifiable but not too strict.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 5

It's been a few days since I checked in. I played tennis on Saturday and it was really fun. I also got in a dog walk, and a lovely nap!

Sunday was more dog walking and finally finishing raking leaves and tidying the backyard in prep for winter. Monday morning was winter! Snow covered the ground until the late afternoon. The puppy loved the snow!

Tuesday was front covering the grass and no snow left. Two more dog walks today which really helped my mental and physical health. Last week and this week are really busy at work.

• Like 4

Yesterday I hit the gym in the morning. Teen worked at a table near the front. I'm of two minds whether to get her a membership or continue to insist that she do her schoolwork at that time. It's a tiny gym with lots of weird-looking weight stuff. Teen is extremely shy and timid. She needs lots and lots of handholding for most activities--she would need some orientation to the whole setup. The other thing is that I am feeling fiercely protective of my workout space. I like being able to talk to a friend while I am pounding away. Will continue to give this some thought.

Today I walked with teen for trick-or-treating. There was actual snow. 

• Like 2