Menu

Breakfast ideas, allergy friendly edition

Spryte

We are in a breakfast slump, and need ideas. Want to play?

Bonus for easy to make (health reasons, I’m not cooking in the mornings — so it must be make ahead and reheat, or something kids can pull out the fridge/freezer or pantry). Rice maker is open for morning use, toaster oven, oven, microwave. No one wants to use the range top lately. Leftovers are in high demand.

Completely, unabashedly open to allergy safe convenience foods for breakfast, if you have specific suggestions. Cheerios and rice milk or frozen Vann’s gf waffles totally work. We just need more options.

Combined, we are almost Top 9 free here, plus a few. No peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, dairy, wheat, avocado, banana, lentils. One Celiac. One allergic to eggs. One with severe OAS (can’t eat most raw fruits and vegetables). 

Please tell me there’s a magically delicious food that we’ve overlooked!

Baked oatmeal made with gluten free oats could probably be made to meet your requirements.  It's a staple in our house!

Here's a decent recipe:

https://www.theconsciousplantkitchen.com/vegan-baked-oatmeal/

I don't like cooked bananas so I sub apple sauce, and I use either frozen "berry cherry blend".  I use flax instead of chia and I add hemp seeds for protein.  I also really like it with chocolate seed butter from here.  If you don't have a safe kind of yogurt, you could sub seed butter for all the yogurt.  I usually do a mix. 

https://88acres.com/collections/seed-butters

And obviously, you'd need to sub a safe milk for the almond milk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I often eat sweet potato based stuff in the fall. I cook the sweet potatoes in my instant pot for ease. Sometimes I make a crumble with it with cranberries and topped with oats mixed with a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon and nutmeg. All of it reheats nicely.

Breakfast tacos (I wrap these in foil and freeze them in gallon ziplocks. Unwrap and microwave to reheat.

Latkes? Potato or zucchini based. Shredded potato, shredded onion + gf flour mixed and formed and fried, then served with salsa or ketchup or whatever you use for a sour cream like substance. Smashed avocado is good too. You can premake and reheat these also.

I’d also look at some of the savory British pies. They often reheat decently or can be cooked after frozen with a raw crust.

ETA: this week we’ve been having frozen waffles and allergy friendly yogurt because we are in survival mode. I highly commend keeping a stash of easy stuff for days when pre planning and baking don’t come together.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 2

My dairy, egg, and peanut free child currently enjoys tortillas filled with smashed pinto beans and turkey bacon.

She is also a huge fan of Van's protein waffles and Applegate savory turkey sausage links.

Owyn plant-based chocolate protein drinks are nice for her.

Sunflower butter smeared on Ezekiel English muffins or Ezekiel toast is also good, and she likes bananas on them but other fruit would be nice as well.

• Thanks 1

We also on occasion have made homemade chorizo or homemade breakfast sausage, generally with ground turkey but any ground meat would work.

Chorize:  1 lb ground meat, 1 tsp salt, 2T chili powder, 1/8 tsp ground cloves, 1T smoked paprika, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp oregano, 2T apple cider vinegar.  She likes chorizo and beans together, generally in a tortilla.

Breakfast sausage: 1 lb ground meat, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp sage, 1/4 tsp savory, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp marjoram, 1/4 tsp black pepper

We cook and freeze the meat for easy morning grabbing and nuking.

• Thanks 1

A lot of days I eat soup for breakfast. If vegetable, I eat a boiled or fried/scrambled egg for protein. I like getting a jump on my daily veggies, it’s satisfying in its savoriness and keeps me from sugar-loading early in the morning. It’s easy because I batch cook soups and portion for  freezing, I just pull one out to the fridge the night before. 

I know it isn’t something everyone would like, just mentioning it because breakfast doesn’t always have to be traditional American breakfast foods iykwim. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

A lot of days I eat soup for breakfast. If vegetable, I eat a boiled or fried/scrambled egg for protein. I like getting a jump on my daily veggies, it’s satisfying in its savoriness and keeps me from sugar-loading early in the morning. It’s easy because I batch cook soups and portion for  freezing, I just pull one out to the fridge the night before. 

I know it isn’t something everyone would like, just mentioning it because breakfast doesn’t always have to be traditional American breakfast foods iykwim. 

That’s brilliant. We have a freezer full of soups and chili ready to be thawed. I have never thought to offer it to the starving hordes in the morning, but they love savory leftovers for breakfast, so this might go over very well.

Bonus because it’s on hand, prepared, and I don’t need to do any initial prep (we are in health emergency mode here).

@prairiewindmomma I’m drooling over sweet potato crumble. You had me at sweet potato. We may do a breakfast taco assembly line this weekend.

@perky We will be trying those recipes as soon as I’m up to cooking! Checking out the Owyn drinks.

@Harriet Vane yum. I’m hunting down safe muffin ideas for next week. Passing this off to DS, the baker.

@Clemsondana I’m really liking the jar smoothie idea. I’ll see if we can find a safe protein powder, or maybe we can use sunflower butter.

And @Drama Llama baked oatmeal is a huge favorite that had fallen off my radar completely. As soon as I’m up again, I’ll experiment and see what we can come up with for substitutions. Freezing portions would be a huge help, so fingers crossed it freezes well.

My kids will be thankful to all of you for the fresh ideas! 

• Like 4

Google tells me there are several recipes floating out there for a Sweet Potato Baked Oatmeal.  I'm sure it's not that different from the sweet potato crumble, but maybe a little heavier on the oats. 

A long time ago I made a baked quinoa thing that I kind of made up, but this recipe looks delicious:

https://www.eatingbirdfood.com/quinoa-breakfast-bake/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grace Hopper said:

This is a Mexican tradition that I find really lovely. When we vacationed in Tulum, we went for breakfast to a restaurant way down the strip that was known as being frequented by locals. There were six huge pots of brothy soup and virtually everyone was sipping appreciatively from big bowls of the soup.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

This is a Mexican tradition that I find really lovely. When we vacationed in Tulum, we went for breakfast to a restaurant way down the strip that was known as being frequented by locals. There were six huge pots of brothy soup and virtually everyone was sipping appreciatively from big bowls of the soup.

I didn’t know that! Cool!

@Spryte so convenient for you if you already have some made up! Hope it will satisfy your people at breakfast time. 

• Like 2