Menu

Looking for a Shakespeare comedy movie

elichnov

9 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

Much Ado About Nothing? There is a brief scene where two people are seen cavorting through a window. 

Yes, the 1993 version with Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson is pretty good.

In addition to the through-the-window cavorting, there is also a bathing scene with a bunch of bare backsides. Both could be skipped.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Yes, the 1993 version with Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson is pretty good.

In addition to the through-the-window cavorting, there is also a bathing scene with a bunch of bare backsides. Both could be skipped.

You got here first! I was just going to suggest skipping both if the 11 year old might not be ready for that.

This is my favorite Shakespeare comedy made into a movie. Denial Washington was excellent, the chemistry between Branaugh and Thompson was wonderful, and Michael Learn was an actual scene stealer!

• Like 2

Two off-the-beaten-track options:

Play On!
Stage musical of Duke Ellington's music, with the story of Twelfth Night. It is the story of the play, but not the language of Shakespeare. If your DC enjoy musicals, and if you're just looking for just an introduction to the story of a Shakespeare comedy, this is wonderful. The ONLY place I can find it is the linked VHS recording that has been uploaded.

Shakespeare: The Animated Tales
30 minute versions that use the original language. Comedies include:
• A Midsummer Night's Dream
• As You Like It
• The Taming of the Shrew
Twelfth Night

Also, you might look around and see if there's a live version being done by a community youth theater, or at a high school -- while the quality of acting and presentation will be amateur rather than pro level, it's SO cool to see a live version -- and one put on by one's peers! 😄 

Agreeing with previous posters about the film versions they listed.