Menu

Nurtec

crazyforlatin

2 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

It didn’t for me, but everyone is different.   I take Emgality now and it works well.  It’s knocked my migraines down to maybe 2-3 a month.   I take Imitrex and Xanax or a muscle relaxer when one comes on.   I’m sorry you have them, too.  They are horrible.  

Is Emgality a daily pill? PA mentioned that Nurtec can be used just when you feel one coming on, and I saw that the stats for this drug is not as favorable as the one for Imitrex. I’m going to ask for Emgality if Nurtec doesn’t work. I didn’t see the pattern to my migraines until very recently. What I want to know is this going to be a lifetime problem. It’s ruined many events for my Dd when she was younger when I needed to take her somewhere but just couldn’t. One of the reasons I don’t commit to anything is that I might have to cancel due to a migraine. 

This worked for both my girls.  Doctor had them take it daily for two weeks then switch to every other day unless they felt a migraine coming on then they could take one if they hadn't taken a pill that day.  Both have chronic almost daily migraines. So far this has been the most effective treatment we've tried.

• Thanks 1

Nurtec is part of the CGRP inhibitor group of medications.   Some are a daily preventative, some are taken as a monthly injection and some are taken once a migraine begins.   I was on Aimovig, which is one of the monthly injections and it worked extremely well for me.  

Nurtec can be used either daily as a preventative or as needed for migraine attacks, so it is one of the few that can be used both ways.  

I have been using the Botox for migraine injections every three months for so many years I have lost count.  Unfortunately, even though the combination of Botox and the monthly Aimovig CGRP works the best for me (keeping my migraines to about 2 a month), most insurances, including my current one, will not cover both at the same time.   Imitrex (sumatriptan) injections are about the only thing that works for me when I have a breakthrough migraine.   

It is often just a long trial process to figure out what works best for each person and may change over time.   I'm about 40 years into my migraine history and found this combination about 5 years ago.   Currently fighting with my insurance company now trying to get them to cover the Aimovig again.  

Non Inclusive Migraine treatments:  

Monthly CRGP preventative injections:   Aimovig, Emgality, Ajovy

Daily CRGP preventatives:  Nurtec, Qulipta, 

CRGP pills for attacks:  Nurtec, Ubrelvy

Preventative Injections every three months:   Botox for migraines (about 32 injections in head and neck)

Pills , Nasal sprays, and injections for attacks:  Triptans (Imitrex/Sumatriptan), Maxalt 

Other daily medications that are often tried to prevent/reduce migraine days:  Topamax (anti-seizure), beta blockers such as inderal, anti-depressants, 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Splash1 said:

This worked for both my girls.  Doctor had them take it daily for two weeks then switch to every other day unless they felt a migraine coming on then they could take one if they hadn't taken a pill that day.  Both have chronic almost daily migraines. So far this has been the most effective treatment we've tried.

I don’t know if it’s coincidence at this point, but I took one tablet and the beginnings of a migraine did go away within 30 minutes. 

11 minutes ago, zimom said:

Nurtec is part of the CGRP inhibitor group of medications.   Some are a daily preventative, some are taken as a monthly injection and some are taken once a migraine begins.   I was on Aimovig, which is one of the monthly injections and it worked extremely well for me.  

Nurtec can be used either daily as a preventative or as needed for migraine attacks, so it is one of the few that can be used both ways.  

I have been using the Botox for migraine injections every three months for so many years I have lost count.  Unfortunately, even though the combination of Botox and the monthly Aimovig CGRP works the best for me (keeping my migraines to about 2 a month), most insurances, including my current one, will not cover both at the same time.   Imitrex (sumatriptan) injections are about the only thing that works for me when I have a breakthrough migraine.   

It is often just a long trial process to figure out what works best for each person and may change over time.   I'm about 40 years into my migraine history and found this combination about 5 years ago.   Currently fighting with my insurance company now trying to get them to cover the Aimovig again.  

Non Inclusive Migraine treatments:  

Monthly CRGP preventative injections:   Aimovig, Emgality, Ajovy

Daily CRGP preventatives:  Nurtec, Qulipta, 

CRGP pills for attacks:  Nurtec, Ubrelvy

Preventative Injections every three months:   Botox for migraines (about 32 injections in head and neck)

Pills , Nasal sprays, and injections for attacks:  Triptans (Imitrex/Sumatriptan), Maxalt 

Other daily medications that are often tried to prevent/reduce migraine days:  Topamax (anti-seizure), beta blockers such as inderal, anti-depressants, 

Thank you very much for listing these! I’m printing it in case I need to discuss alternatives. The PA wants me to see a neurologist. I actually didn’t know there were medications for migraines until recently due to another post. 

Are the Botox injections done by a plastic surgeon/dermatologist or by a different type of doctor?

I see a neurologist and his PA for everything.   The PA handles just about everything except for my Botox injections which the neurologist does himself.     

If you have more than a migraine every few months, I would see a neurologist.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It works better for me as a daily preventative. (You actually take it every other day.) Although I have breakthrough days/weeks where it doesn't seem to work as well, it has been a life-changer for me. If your insurance won't pay for it, see if your doctor can get it for free for you, as they have a free goods program for people whose insurance won't cover it. For me, there has been no detectable side effects, which I love.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pitterpatter said:

It works better for me as a daily preventative. (You actually take it every other day.) Although I have breakthrough days/weeks where it doesn't seem to work as well, it has been a life-changer for me. If your insurance won't pay for it, see if your doctor can get it for free for you, as they have a free goods program for people whose insurance won't cover it. For me, there has been no detectable side effects, which I love.

The pharmacy is asking the doctor for an alternative which means the insurance company must have rejected it. I’ll ask the PA if there is another way to get it.