Menu

FB Mrktplce - buying preowned (windows, doors) and MOVING

sheryl

DH and I have been planning fpr some time to sell this house and move.  Plans are to move locally but I'd like to move to another city in NC.  We both like Charlotte a lot.  DD was raised here.  And, while there are many pros for staying here, the congestion and influx of people is too much.  If you're from a larger city like LA or Detroit, you may not understand.  But, I've heard the term that Charlotte is a "cow town" gone big!  Our infrastructure is not here to accommodate the influx of people which results in an abundance of apartment complexes, etc.   Single-family homes are fewer and fewer.   I'm afraid our move to list would be short as we don't want to move to beach, not further south.   That leaves westerly or northerly.  I suggested Asheville because it hits the bells and whistles but DH says it's terribly congested.  Right, there was major construction a few years ago but c'mon.  So, you stay away from those areas, right?  We love the mountains!  We thought about Winston-Salem.  It's cute.  Smaller downtown.  If you live in NC, what suggestions do you have.  Pros and cons for cities north and west.  Looking for a city smaller than Charlotte but still has "city", arts district, churches, community college/university, hospital, park/s.  A big bonus if it has Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Publix, Earthfare.  I shop at those now and it would be hard to give up.  Don't want to travel an hour to get to closest WF but I know the above stores are not on every corner like others.  

Has anyone bought windows and interior doors to replace on the house?  Was it a good decision in terms of price and "fit"? 

Thanks!

I live just outside of W-S, and always have. We like it here. There are cons but the pros outweigh them. Reasonable COL, and it's big enough to have everything but not so big that traffic is a problem. Easy drive to the coast and an even easier drive to the mountains. If I were going to move anywhere else in the state it would probably be to the Boone area. They have almost all the things we need or want and significantly cooler temps and much less humidity. Much worse winters, but I don't mind hunkering down in the winter. And if you need more medical care than is available there the drive to W-S or Charlotte isn't bad.

• Thanks 1

Greenville, NC might be a place to consider.  With ECU, there are plenty of cultural and sports activities. ECU has a med school, and so the hospital and medical facilities are top notch.  Even though the population of Greenville is close to 90,000, it still has a small town feel.  I grew up in Greenville, and my mom still lived there until fairly recently.

NC is a bit tricky in that most of the cities with good stores, activities and medical facilities are located along the I 40/I 85 corridor.  Busy, busy, busy. If you get away from these areas, shopping, medical care, etc drop off rapidly.  You could consider a town like Hillsborough, which doesn't have a lot of stores and such, but it does have a hospital, and it is close to Chapel Hill where there is a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Wegman's. And of course with UNC Chapel Hill, there are plenty of cultural and sports activities.

And oh my goodness, Charlotte is nuts!  My son goes to UNC Charlotte and the driving is downright scary at times! Although I enjoy our trips there because yeah, there is about every store and restaurant you could imagine. 

Edited by Serenade
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I live just outside of W-S, and always have. We like it here. There are cons but the pros outweigh them. Reasonable COL, and it's big enough to have everything but not so big that traffic is a problem. Easy drive to the coast and an even easier drive to the mountains. If I were going to move anywhere else in the state it would probably be to the Boone area. They have almost all the things we need or want and significantly cooler temps and much less humidity. Much worse winters, but I don't mind hunkering down in the winter. And if you need more medical care than is available there the drive to W-S or Charlotte isn't bad.

HEY PAWZ! YOU are close!  We were in WS recently and I like it.  Coming from large Charlotte I wish the d.t. was just a tad bigger but not much more.  Definitely would like something smaller than Charlotte.  WE LOVE the mountains.  We've talked for years about buying a secondary home, a small cabin somewhere in the mtns.  Love BR and Boone and we go there often along with most of the other mtn town/cities!  It's all good.  Yes, we do want to be closer to the mountains.   I so want cooler temps and less humidity!  Grew up in OH and lived in WI and MI after marriage before DH and I moved here to Charlotte decades ago.  Thanks!  Referring to my list what would be in WS? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Serenade said:

Greenville, NC might be a place to consider.  With ECU, there are plenty of cultural and sports activities. ECU has a med school, and so the hospital and medical facilities are top notch.  Even though the population of Greenville is close to 90,000, it still has a small town feel.  I grew up in Greenville, and my mom still lived there until fairly recently.

NC is a bit tricky in that most of the cities with good stores, activities and medical facilities are located along the I 40/I 85 corridor.  Busy, busy, busy. If you get away from these areas, shopping, medical care, etc drop off rapidly.  You could consider a town like Hillsborough, which doesn't have a lot of stores and such, but it does have a hospital, and it is close to Chapel Hill where there is a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Wegman's. And of course with UNC Chapel Hill, there are plenty of cultural and sports activities.

And oh my goodness, Charlotte is nuts!  My son goes to UNC Charlotte and the driving is downright scary at times! Although I enjoy our trips there because yeah, there is about every store and restaurant you could imagine. 

Yes, except that is too close to ocean for us.  We enjoy the beach and go now and then but favor the mountains.  Have not been on 85 for a while but that is crazy as it's a main corridor connecting n.e. to FL.   Yes, Charlotte is getting crazier by the day.  We moved here decades ago.  Boy have we seen the changes.  Some good, some not.  We are just off 485 about 25 min away.   485 and 85 (points closest to Charlotte) are so compromising it's not even funny.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

The only thing on your list not in WS is Earthfare.

Thanks!  Thanks good to know.  Since it has changed hands it's not really the same.  Can always visit an Earthfare elsewhere when traveling.   🙂

7 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Pawz, do you go to Greensboro much?  Any thoughts on Greensboro vs. WS?

I'm in G'boro a few times a year. DH goes regularly, because the chiropractor he uses is there.The WS/Gboro/High Point area (called the Triad) is the metro area. I have trouble finding my way around G'boro. Even though I've lived in this area all my life I've never managed to build a good mental map of it, and still have to rely on GPS. I'm partial to the WS side because I know my way around better, and it's that much closer to the mountains. 😉

• Thanks 2

I grew up in Gastonia. I have not been back in years... 

If you like mountains, you might consider moving to Greenville, SC. It has a vibrant downtown and arts scene with a small town feel but all the amenities of a big town excpet major league sports. They have minor league sports and colleges nearby with lots of sports. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I grew up just north of W-S in King.  My parents (now just my dad)  still lives there. It's a beautiful area.  I can see Pilot Mountain from the front door of my parent's house.  Since you don't want to live in a city but want the amenities nearby W-S is a great place to live and you can choose small city living,  more suburban,  and rural areas within a 30 minute drive of the city. 

It's not where I would choose to live now (I love big city life! ), but I do love to visit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Pawz, do you go to Greensboro much?  Any thoughts on Greensboro vs. WS?

I agree with Pawz. I grew up in King and went to school in W-S and even though my dad worked in GSO it really wasn't on my radar. GSO is bigger although not terribly so. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm in G'boro a few times a year. DH goes regularly, because the chiropractor he uses is there.The WS/Gboro/High Point area (called the Triad) is the metro area. I have trouble finding my way around G'boro. Even though I've lived in this area all my life I've never managed to build a good mental map of it, and still have to rely on GPS. I'm partial to the WS side because I know my way around better, and it's that much closer to the mountains. 😉

Yes, the Triad.  For some reason not considering HP though.  Will continue to buy "our NC home-grown furniture".   LOL!   HP and Hickory and various smaller showrooms in between.  THANKS, Pawz!

1 hour ago, lmrich said:

I grew up in Gastonia. I have not been back in years... 

If you like mountains, you might consider moving to Greenville, SC. It has a vibrant downtown and arts scene with a small town feel but all the amenities of a big town excpet major league sports. They have minor league sports and colleges nearby with lots of sports. 

I know.  Everybody thinks of Greenville SC. It is a hot spot!  It is only 2 hours or so to Highlands and less to Brevard, NC.  We are up/down often the App Mtns.  We are most interested in staying in NC.  

56 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

I grew up just north of W-S in King.  My parents (now just my dad)  still lives there. It's a beautiful area.  I can see Pilot Mountain from the front door of my parent's house.  Since you don't want to live in a city but want the amenities nearby W-S is a great place to live and you can choose small city living,  more suburban,  and rural areas within a 30 minute drive of the city. 

It's not where I would choose to live now (I love big city life! ), but I do love to visit. 

Yes, Pilot Mtn!  Pretty area.   DH and I would LOVE that.  Open the door to mountains!  Be surrounded by mountains!  But, practicality wins out and hence the reason for living in a "smaller city".  Depending on where in the mountains and elevation, it can take a LONG time to get to "city".  That's been our experience for over 30 years.  I read your other reply.  I like the city - don't get me wrong.  But, we're not sky-rise apt dwellers and this and that.   We would still like opportunity to go to opera, see Nutcracker "again" (professionally), museums, etc.  But, a short drive to those would be an option to live "out" a bit.   🙂

9 hours ago, sheryl said:

Yes, the Triad.  For some reason not considering HP though.  Will continue to buy "our NC home-grown furniture".   LOL!   HP and Hickory and various smaller showrooms in between.  THANKS, Pawz!

I know.  Everybody thinks of Greenville SC. It is a hot spot!  It is only 2 hours or so to Highlands and less to Brevard, NC.  We are up/down often the App Mtns.  We are most interested in staying in NC.  

Yes, Pilot Mtn!  Pretty area.   DH and I would LOVE that.  Open the door to mountains!  Be surrounded by mountains!  But, practicality wins out and hence the reason for living in a "smaller city".  Depending on where in the mountains and elevation, it can take a LONG time to get to "city".  That's been our experience for over 30 years.  I read your other reply.  I like the city - don't get me wrong.  But, we're not sky-rise apt dwellers and this and that.   We would still like opportunity to go to opera, see Nutcracker "again" (professionally), museums, etc.  But, a short drive to those would be an option to live "out" a bit.   🙂

From metro 😁 King it's 30 minutes to both hospitals,  downtown (Nutcracker,  except this year because they are renovating the Stevens Center, so it's at the Tanger Center in GSO, which also hosts all sorts of fun events), WF, TJs, Publix, museums, the mall.  It's about 1 hour to GSO. And 15 minutes to Pilot Mountain  and 25 minutes to Hanging Rock State park. ETA 30 minutes up the road to Mt Airy which also has a hospital and such (no upscale grocery stores)  but much smaller than W-S.

And me! for about 4-5 days a month! 

Edited by YaelAldrich
No apostrophe!
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

From metro 😁 King it's 30 minutes to both hospitals,  downtown (Nutcracker,  except this year because they are renovating the Stevens Center, so it's at the Tanger Center in GSO, which also hosts all sorts of fun events), WF, TJs, Publix, museums, the mall.  It's about 1 hour to GSO. And 15 minutes to Pilot Mountain  and 25 minutes to Hanging Rock State park. ETA 30 minutes up the road to Mt Airy which also has a hospital and such (no upscale grocery stores)  but much smaller than W-S.

And me! for about 4-5 days a month! 

Thanks for that!  It takes 30 minutes to get to a hospital?  What is metro King?  That's on the long side compared to here.  Well, it's only 4 miles from us.  The closest one.  I do like Mt. Airy.  It bit too small for me but I enjoy our visits there.  It's been a looooong time since we've been to Tanger.  I need to take another trip to WS with these replies in mind.  I remember you drive to visit your parents once a month or every few months.   Yael, when you mentioned you visit your Dad, does this mean your Mom passed away or is in assisted living?  I hope you don't mind me asking but when we were planning a wtm nc groupie meet up (LOL) you mentioned then visiting your parents every so often.  I don't want to ignore that if that's the case. 

1 hour ago, sheryl said:

Thanks for that!  It takes 30 minutes to get to a hospital?  What is metro King?  That's on the long side compared to here.  Well, it's only 4 miles from us.  The closest one.  I do like Mt. Airy.  It bit too small for me but I enjoy our visits there.  It's been a looooong time since we've been to Tanger.  I need to take another trip to WS with these replies in mind.  I remember you drive to visit your parents once a month or every few months.   Yael, when you mentioned you visit your Dad, does this mean your Mom passed away or is in assisted living?  I hope you don't mind me asking but when we were planning a wtm nc groupie meet up (LOL) you mentioned then visiting your parents every so often.  I don't want to ignore that if that's the case. 

Yes, 30 minutes, but I'm guessing it is the same for Pawz.  Metro King - well, King is a small, very small city.  We moved here in 1988, when it was a stoplight and farms mostly.  Now it is a lot of growth in homes (I think it is the fastest growing area around W-S, medical clinics, grocery stores and the like  But it is not W-S.

My mom passed away at the end of May.  But, yes I go down every month (if I'm in the US).  Will be there August 4-7 and at the OBX at the end of the month.

If there is another meetup I will happily plan my monthly trip around that!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

Yes, 30 minutes, but I'm guessing it is the same for Pawz. 

I'm on the opposite side of WS from Yael's dad, but we're only a couple of miles outside the city limits. We can get to either hospital in about 15 minutes.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

Yes, 30 minutes, but I'm guessing it is the same for Pawz.  Metro King - well, King is a small, very small city.  We moved here in 1988, when it was a stoplight and farms mostly.  Now it is a lot of growth in homes (I think it is the fastest growing area around W-S, medical clinics, grocery stores and the like  But it is not W-S.

My mom passed away at the end of May.  But, yes I go down every month (if I'm in the US).  Will be there August 4-7 and at the OBX at the end of the month.

If there is another meetup I will happily plan my monthly trip around that!

First, I'm sorry to hear about your Mom.  That is hard.  I've missed not talking with my Mom but I hope that just as special memories of my Mom and shared with her warm my heart that you experience that of your Mom!! 

Got that, thanks.  I'm used to several in our larger city.   In your other reply you mentioned Clemmons.   If DH and I are serious about moving from Char then we have much homework to do in terms of location.location.location.  

Do you live abroad parttime?  OOOOOhhhhh, please share where.  For "beach" we do like "the Banks" (OBX).  Have you been before?  If not, lmk and I'll share my itinerary with you.   

4 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm on the opposite side of WS from Yael's dad, but we're only a couple of miles outside the city limits. We can get to either hospital in about 15 minutes.

OK, I don't think we'd live in WS city limits but maybe.  15 is about what it would take here just due to traffic and lights but it's only about 4 miles away (the closest one).  

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

I spent a lot of time in HP back when I worked in the furniture industry. But it has been almost 24 years since I was last there so I have no idea what it is like now.  

Yay, Scarlett! Yes, HP and Hickory with various places in between.  Did you work at the "mart"?  Or, directly with a manufacturer?  Which one?  We need to get back up to order some furniture.  I was wanting to move first but we need to get a few things.  LOL!

• Thanks 1

The Clemmons/Lewisville area is nice. Easy to zip into WS and near Tanglewood, which is a huge county park with a very nice dog park and walking trail. There's a small(ish) community hospital right off 40 in Clemmons. And Kernersville is on the east side of WS and the west side of Gboro. It's a good area for people who want to be convenient to both of the bigger cities (and it's also very convenient to HP). They also have a community hospital, which is also right off 40.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Yay, Scarlett! Yes, HP and Hickory with various places in between.  Did you work at the "mart"?  Or, directly with a manufacturer?  Which one?  We need to get back up to order some furniture.  I was wanting to move first but we need to get a few things.  LOL!

I worked for the manufacturer. Sadly they have gone all import now.  

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

The Clemmons/Lewisville area is nice. Easy to zip into WS and near Tanglewood, which is a huge county park with a very nice dog park and walking trail. There's a small(ish) community hospital right off 40 in Clemmons. And Kernersville is on the east side of WS and the west side of Gboro. It's a good area for people who want to be convenient to both of the bigger cities (and it's also very convenient to HP). They also have a community hospital, which is also right off 40.

Oh, thanks for that.  That's good info.  I'm going to start another post related to this.   Are the cities dog friendly?  Charlotte is very dog friendly.  Dog park is on list.  Will look at map.  I knew a woman from Kernersville.  Her then newborn dd was in my daycare class.  

9 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I worked for the manufacturer. Sadly they have gone all import now.  

Yes, many have but not all.  I prefer to buy American-made. I'm eyeballing a Sherrill sofa.   No, not because it's a variation of my name but after learning about furniture over the years and recently at "the mart" in HP I talked with a regional Sherrill rep and he explained to me how their products are made.   And, I looked at their "cut away" sample.  It seems to be a solid manufacturer.  Sherrill is 100& American-made.  But, you're right, some have sold out.  It's too bad. Appreciate your input.

40 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Oh, thanks for that.  That's good info.  I'm going to start another post related to this.   Are the cities dog friendly?  Charlotte is very dog friendly.  Dog park is on list.  Will look at map.  I knew a woman from Kernersville.  Her then newborn dd was in my daycare class.  

Yes, many have but not all.  I prefer to buy American-made. I'm eyeballing a Sherrill sofa.   No, not because it's a variation of my name but after learning about furniture over the years and recently at "the mart" in HP I talked with a regional Sherrill rep and he explained to me how their products are made.   And, I looked at their "cut away" sample.  It seems to be a solid manufacturer.  Sherrill is 100& American-made.  But, you're right, some have sold out.  It's too bad. Appreciate your input.

Right I meant the manufacturer I worked for has gone all import.  They went from 1800 employees to less than 100.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Right I meant the manufacturer I worked for has gone all import.  They went from 1800 employees to less than 100.  

Good night!  That's a huge reduction.  Well, in my limited research on furniture design and manufacturing, American-made has the quality. But, it will also depend between manufacturers even within domestically made products.  

11 hours ago, sheryl said:

First, I'm sorry to hear about your Mom.  That is hard.  I've missed not talking with my Mom but I hope that just as special memories of my Mom and shared with her warm my heart that you experience that of your Mom!! 

Got that, thanks.  I'm used to several in our larger city.   In your other reply you mentioned Clemmons.   If DH and I are serious about moving from Char then we have much homework to do in terms of location.location.location.  

Do you live abroad parttime?  OOOOOhhhhh, please share where.  For "beach" we do like "the Banks" (OBX).  Have you been before?  If not, lmk and I'll share my itinerary with you.   

OK, I don't think we'd live in WS city limits but maybe.  15 is about what it would take here just due to traffic and lights but it's only about 4 miles away (the closest one).  

My mom was a spiritual wonder woman so I only hope to reach her kneecaps!

My DH travels a lot for his work.  He is a professor of political science and public policy at Northeastern University in Boston.  So he tries to take us on as many trips as he can.  We are currently in Tokyo for the month of July as he conducts a month long classroom in the field about Japan and disasters.  We were in Adelaide South Australia for March-May. We do smaller trips as well.  Now that I am officially (?) retired from HSing I might travel more.