Menu

Memoria Press

We used MP2 last year and I loved it.  It was nice to just follow a plan and have a big picture.  The only thing we swapped was math because we already had a program we loved.

The more time I spent diving into the MP world the more stressed I became with following the cores.  There is a mentality in the community that I’ve only seen in places like Classical Conversations with the whole “Follow the process” mantra. 

A year later I feel so stressed when I go off the guide.  Whenever my kiddo misses problems in math I have this nudging guilt that it’s because we aren’t using Rod and Staff, which MP and Co swear by.  

I still genuinely like most pieces, but as I get ready to add another child to the homeschool I am having actual anxiety thinking about how we will get this done with multiple cores.

I know the phrase “Don’t be a slave to the curriculum”, but the MP community culture does make you feel like your child is missing out if you don’t “follow the plan”.  

I’ve read old WTM threads and I know it’s not the most popular choice here.  I’m also curious because I’ve read old threads where users were so excited about it and then a few years later it sounds like they’re off MP.

So those who have used it are you still using  it?  What are you changing?  If you’re an MP enthusiast how do you make it work?

I use the parts I like and happily dump the rest (math, Latin, EGR, CS, Classical Comp., flashcards!). I make my own weekly lesson plans for each kid and feel zero guilt. I'm teaching MY kids, not the mythical MP child. Like anything, make it work for you. Use what works, kick the rest to the curb.

Adding: I've used bits and pieces of Preschool on up over the years. My 2 middle boys were some of the first to use MP K years ago. It has been interesting to see the changes to the cores over time.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 3

Hi, and welcome to the WTM forums!  I see plenty of people on here who use pieces of MP's curriculum, although on this board it seems less common for people to use all in one curriculum (from any provider, not just MP) unless they're just starting out.  Perhaps the solution is to keep using the parts you like, but to disengage a little from the community that is stressing you out.

• Like 1

I haven’t done memoria press, however I do use heart of Dakota.  They feel strongly that following the guide as is is best.  For awhile I resisted that.  I do have our own math, but it’s similar to what they use.  Having used it with lots of tweaking and using it without tweaking I can honestly say the beauty in such a program isn’t the individual pieces but the lack of trying to plan and balance things yourself. Are there better, more fun, colorful, etc resources ? Probably  .  But there are so many resources out there it’s easy to do too much and have school drag out forever.  Or to spend way too much time on a content subject and lose time on core subjects.  I’m now at a point where I will either use the guide mostly AS IS or switch to something else that’s not all in one (using the pieces that work for me).  It’s different if you just take pieces out of a program and use those than trying to bring pieces into an all in one guide to replace things if that makes sense.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nm. said:

I haven’t done memoria press, however I do use heart of Dakota.  They feel strongly that following the guide as is is best.  For awhile I resisted that.  I do have our own math, but it’s similar to what they use.  Having used it with lots of tweaking and using it without tweaking I can honestly say the beauty in such a program isn’t the individual pieces but the lack of trying to plan and balance things yourself. Are there better, more fun, colorful, etc resources ? Probably  .  But there are so many resources out there it’s easy to do too much and have school drag out forever.  Or to spend way too much time on a content subject and lose time on core subjects.  I’m now at a point where I will either use the guide mostly AS IS or switch to something else that’s not all in one (using the pieces that work for me).  It’s different if you just take pieces out of a program and use those than trying to bring pieces into an all in one guide to replace things if that makes sense.

Absolutely know what you mean! I did two years of piecing things together and almost burned myself out.

Does it bother you to sub math? I don’t know what it is, but MP’s math is easily their most hotly debated thing and, while I know a lot of people sub it out, I am becoming really paranoid that I’m goofing.

Last year, I used a lot of MP for my two middles.  It was so hard.  😞

This school year, I used it for my 2nd grader, and I loved it.  I also used a couple of pieces for my middles.  I decided for many of the components, I wouldn't buy or use student guides.  It really did help.  It made me feel as though I could pick and choose.  

Next school year, I probably won't use much, if any, at all.  I do think the formula is great, but with four kids, it just isn't going to work for us.  I am switching to a Charlotte Mason approach.  I have bought books so far and no curriculum other than math.  BUT piecing together things has been a struggle.  I haven't even figured out if we can finish entire books just yet or if we can squeeze in other CM type things. My husband asked what the best boxed curriculum is and if the kids would be okay if I died and they had to do that, LOL.  I said yes.  Oh, I was so tempted to just return to Abeka---that was where we started!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

Last year, I used a lot of MP for my two middles.  It was so hard.  😞

This school year, I used it for my 2nd grader, and I loved it.  I also used a couple of pieces for my middles.  I decided for many of the components, I wouldn't buy or use student guides.  It really did help.  It made me feel as though I could pick and choose.  

Next school year, I probably won't use much, if any, at all.  I do think the formula is great, but with four kids, it just isn't going to work for us.  I am switching to a Charlotte Mason approach.  I have bought books so far and no curriculum other than math.  BUT piecing together things has been a struggle.  I haven't even figured out if we can finish entire books just yet or if we can squeeze in other CM type things. My husband asked what the best boxed curriculum is and if the kids would be okay if I died and they had to do that, LOL.  I said yes.  Oh, I was so tempted to just return to Abeka---that was where we started!

That’s so interesting! What drew you to MP? 

I was so into the community, the podcast, and the professionalism of the whole thing. But now it’s the thing that’s driving me bonkers! When people talk about how to run multiple cores I notice a lot of hemming and hawing around answers.  I wonder how many stressed people there are…

• Like 1

Any niche can be like that, whether it be homeschooling, religion, diet, or anything else. "It works for me so if it didn't for you, you probably did it wrong! There's some major character/moral flaw that you're not mentioning because IT WORKS!!!!" Just ignore them and use what works for you. 🙂

that being said, there's a blog called Seeking Delectare. The mom has health challenges, 2 kids with special needs, and does the MP cores and share show she does it without going crazy. Maybe that would help? 🙂

Edited by wisdomandtreasures
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, Teach05 said:

I was so into the community, the podcast, and the professionalism of the whole thing. But now it’s the thing that’s driving me bonkers! When people talk about how to run multiple cores I notice a lot of hemming and hawing around answers.  I wonder how many stressed people there are…

I would screen detox and see how you feel about MP after that.

switching math was simple for me because they were both not time consuming.  Doing a time consuming math would have thrown the guide off.  I actually have a “fun” math for my daughter but it’s not getting done and I’m probably going to stick with simple since I really value all the read alouds we do.

Maybe look at the math you’re doing and assess whether it’s similar in time it takes to teach.  Rod and staff is supposed to be short and sweet, which is why it works with the core.

Another switch for me was a writing program.  I switched a simple writing program with another that is simple.  She schedules for teacher intensive writing courses in later guides, but she adjusts other things to balance that.  If I tried to swap a simple writing course with teacher intensive it would throw the guide off and we’d be stressed.

Edited by Nm.

2 hours ago, Nm. said:

I would screen detox and see how you feel about MP after that.

switching math was simple for me because they were both not time consuming.  Doing a time consuming math would have thrown the guide off.  I actually have a “fun” math for my daughter but it’s not getting done and I’m probably going to stick with simple since I really value all the read alouds we do.

Maybe look at the math you’re doing and assess whether it’s similar in time it takes to teach.  Rod and staff is supposed to be short and sweet, which is why it works with the core.

Another switch for me was a writing program.  I switched a simple writing program with another that is simple.  She schedules for teacher intensive writing courses in later guides, but she adjusts other things to balance that.  If I tried to swap a simple writing course with teacher intensive it would throw the guide off and we’d be stressed.

Really valid point on the math.  Hmm

I have used pieces and parts of MP. I like it, but not enough to give up the other resources I use in order to buy a full package.  I think it was also created for a classroom environment, which might be why it can feel a little tedious? I personally cannot use their lit guides and maintain a happy disposition. I much prefer Veritas Press or just asking for narration.

FWIW I think many homeschooling subcultures can feel intense and legalistic about their method. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Teach05 said:

I was totally sold on classical.  I still am---but I am going to try it the Charlotte Mason way.  I have absolutely no idea how anyone can teach multiple cores, even if you do some of the guides orally.  I think the expectations are very high for the respective grade levels.  With that being said, I do not want to cheat my children out of a wonderful education just because I choose to homeschool and have four of them.  With MP, I find it hard to have everyone on the same page.  I'm trying super hard to implement the CM approach next year with minimal curriculum and using the same living books for a few of my kids.  I haven't quite figured out how not to be a box checker with having four kids.  I have always been stressed, so this year I am hoping by streamlining we are all happier---and gasp---even more productive in our learning!

• Like 1

I used MP products before their current community culture existed. I've been homeschooling for over 25 years, and am now homeschooling grandchildren. I am fairly familiar with most of what MP has to offer, and extremely familiar with a lot of it, over decades' experience.

It is my firm conviction that there is no essential, planned synergy between the various subjects or components of the day, as laid out in the daily guides. Any strong English language arts will complement formal Latin study (and vice versa). Any logical, developmentally appropriate math will help the child advance in logic. Literature is literature, and MP study guides are not the be-all and end-all; there are lots of ways to talk about books, and many, many excellent resources.

THAT you are deliberately educating your child in history, geography, grammar, effective spelling and phonics, Latin, logic, science, math is the secret ingredient. It's you. It's your home. It's the access to proper pedagogy - no matter where you buy your books or learn how to teach - and your daily diligence. It's your commitment to teaching the child in front of you, to not wasting his time with ineffective busywork or untried pedagogy, to giving him a well-rounded life and wonderful experiences and memories, to protecting his space to follow his own rabbit trails after your formal lessons...

This is the synergy that you need for your success. A functional homeschool and a happy family, and good curriculum. MP designed their year plans to include a developmentally appropriate and academically sound scope and sequence in every subject. Their year plans are not integrated and not unit studies. Each course stands alone, if the child is equally advancing in his other subjects. Whatever they're allowing or encouraging in the culture about "doing it all" or "doing it right," I do not believe Cheryl Lowe ever had in mind anything of the kind! It's bullying, peer pressure, fear and superstition. That perspective is opposite of the goals or fruits of classical education, or of any effective system of education.

Edited by Miss Hickory
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Miss Hickory said:

I used MP products before their current community culture existed. I've been homeschooling for over 25 years, and am now homeschooling grandchildren. I am fairly familiar with most of what MP has to offer, and extremely familiar with a lot of it, over decades' experience.

It is my firm conviction that there is no essential, planned synergy between the various subjects or components of the day, as laid out in the daily guides. Any strong English language arts will complement formal Latin study (and vice versa). Any logical, developmentally appropriate math will help the child advance in logic. Literature is literature, and MP study guides are not the be-all and end-all; there are lots of ways to talk about books, and many, many excellent resources.

THAT you are deliberately educating your child in history, geography, grammar, effective spelling and phonics, Latin, logic, science, math is the secret ingredient. It's you. It's your home. It's the access to proper pedagogy - no matter where you buy your books or learn how to teach - and your daily diligence. It's your commitment to teaching the child in front of you, to not wasting his time with ineffective busywork or untried pedagogy, to giving him a well-rounded life and wonderful experiences and memories, to protecting his space to follow his own rabbit trails after your formal lessons...

This is the synergy that you need for your success. A functional homeschool and a happy family, and good curriculum. MP designed their year plans to include a developmentally appropriate and academically sound scope and sequence in every subject. Their year plans are not integrated and not unit studies. Each course stands alone, if the child is equally advancing in his other subjects. Whatever they're allowing or encouraging in the culture about "doing it all" or "doing it right," I do not believe Cheryl Lowe ever had in mind anything of the kind! It's bullying, peer pressure, fear and superstition. That perspective is opposite of the goals or fruits of classical education, or of any effective system of education.

That’s incredibly true and encouraging! Thanks so much!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Miss Hickory said:

You have now been immortalized in my MP comments file. Wonderfully said!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have used MP over the years, especially with my oldest, and we are using Latina Christiana and MP lit guides with my 3rd grader next year. But the overwhelm when schooling multiple kids is, as you described, overwhelming if you go all in on MP. 

I think that many that do all in MP use their online academy to outsource some teaching to keep up with it.

I chose to piece my own curriculum together using what I think will work best at the time, and we have used less MP as I have added more kiddos to the mix.

I do still enjoy their k-2 enrichment and lit guides though. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 6:06 PM, Teach05 said:

We did parts of MP over the years.  I guess they didn't have a full curr back when we were hs'ing.

FWIW, whenever anything starts making me feel suffocated, I take that as a warning sign.  And I take a break, rethink exactly what's going on, and decide what, if anything, I need to do about it.  And you do sound a little like you're feeling suffocated by the entire package.  So maybe just pick out the parts you love and find other things you love and add to those to make your own plan.  I constantly did that in our hs'ing. 

In hs'ing, there are so many options in curr; but there are also SO many options in how you implement things as well.  You can alternate things, you can pick one as a core and add another as a supplement, you can do some as a group and some independently, and so on.

For example, we did the Traditional Logic.  But I felt like my kids needed more practice.  So, I added a couple more logic programs over the years to make sure they got that practice.  We also did a couple logic books as a group (which they loved, btw).  Sometimes we took a break from the logic.  Sometimes they did the books on their own as they got older.  But the goal was always to give them enough practice to master the subject matter.  And as a side benefit my kids later told me that all the logic they did helped them the most with the many papers they had to write in college.   

Which brings me to another idea to keep in the back of your mind.  So many of the things they're doing will converge as they get older.  It's actually an exciting thing to see when you're hs'ing.  But when you're in the trenches with the younger kids it can feel like it's all so disconnected.  Just know that eventually the parts come together to make a 'whole'.  And all you have to do is find the best 'parts' for your own kids using the goals you have for your own hs'ing.  It's perfectly fine to pick and choose as you go along based on what you're feeling and what you're seeing in your kids.

• Like 3