Menu

Content Planning 2023

Nm.

My last two are far enough apart that they haven't really been combined for anything. This year they're both interested in a Broadway course, but we're likely to only do the movies together. They'll work better with separate assignments otherwise. The movies will probably be put on weekends, so their dad can be included and we won't have schedule issues with their dance classes. 

For content subjects the younger one will do chemistry and geography, while the older one does environmental science and US history. I make zero attempt to line them up. Life is smoother for us if everyone is on their own path and not tied to a sibling's. 

• Like 2

Curiosity Chronicles for History, supplementing with Story of the World for Roman/Greek/Biblical stuff.  

Scientific Connection Through Inquiry for science, basically a planned out BFSU along with Mystery Science videos.

I have not picked out the Bible stuff yet. Vague idea about doing Telling God's Story and reading through Proverbs. I'm really up in the air about this. We tried to read through a Bible storybook this year and eldest wants more meat, younger one was overwhelmed by many of the stories (just overwhelmed at how people could be so bad). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clarita said:

I have not picked out the Bible stuff yet. Vague idea about doing Telling God's Story and reading through Proverbs. I'm really up in the air about this. We tried to read through a Bible storybook this year and eldest wants more meat, younger one was overwhelmed by many of the stories (just overwhelmed at how people could be so bad). 

I haven't used it yet but have you looked at The Ology by Marty Machowski?

• Like 1

So my last one at home is a 4th grader, and I have done almost no planning.  I need to put in time really planning in depth as I will be working part time out of the house and taking up time driving her to babysitters and probably will be enrolled in at least one class myself this year.  But roughly what I have so far: 

SOTW3 and AG- oral narration only, maps, and a timeline book using a large watercolor pad and the cutout review cards from back of student pages. 

memorywork: Books of Old and New Testament, states in alphabetical order, presidents in order.  additional mapwork: the Complete Book of Maps and Geography on the days we don't do SOTW3. 

Science: physics year.  I ordered an activity book with STEM activities that looks very basic to use as a jumping off point.  I am hoping it is not TOO basic for a 4th grader.  I will pull books off the shelf that I have on various topics like Simple Machines, Forces, etc.  I know I have the Tiner book collection, so will see what fits this year.  We have a couple of Thinking Tree journals and also just do definitions and write up labs in composition books.   I have a Classcial Conversations memorywork book and science cards.  I may see if any of their rotations fit and do those too.  She enjoys it when we do. 

Bible: We started Memoria Press Christian Studies first semester last year.  i would love to continue that if time allows.   If not, Sunday School lessons and memorywork will have to be enough. 

Art: a class at co-op, reading from Usborne books here, and I want to add some drawing instruction, but haven't picked anything yet. 

I have a huge collection of Dover books, some of the Jackdaws original source units, bulletin board maps and copies of documents for Am. History and State history that I really need to sort through and get on a rotation to go along with modern studies. That is my goal in the next few weeks. 

Latin: Latina Christiana and a copywork cursive book to go with it for memorizing the prayers and songs and cursive work. 

Read alouds???  I need to plan.  I would like at least one Little House book, a Rush Limbaugh book, and who knows what else.  I need to make at least one more choice, then put together a basket of books for her to read on her own. 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy
  • Like 1

I have used two curricula with my child, and also done no curriculum. The no curriculum can be more work, but it can also be a lot more fun.

Math was probably the hardest to do with no curriculum, and I confess my child is now behind in math. I relied too much on Khan Academy.

For history, we used Story of the World, which is great!

For English, I like Read Works (https://www.readworks.org/). There are a variety of readings and they come with comprehension and analysis questions. I also like using American Literature (https://americanliterature.com/). Some stories have Study Guides, which include discussion questions (and summaries, character details, etc.).

In the evenings, we love using audio books, especially ones with great actors or readers.

We are going to do US History using the 2nd edition of Oh, History from Woke Homeschooling for the 5th and 8th grader, and their Beginner version (which is picture books and activities, lined up to the same basic topics as the older kids)with the 1st grader. I also got some books for just the 8th grader, to beef it up a bit for her, since in theory this version is supposed to be for grades 3-7, but I was NOT getting that AND the highschool version. So for instance, the 5th grader will read the kids version of  Stamped From the Beginning, and the 9th Grader will read the graphic novel version. And I got each of the two of them their own novels to read, on top of the ones I'll be reading to them as a family. 

It's...a lot of books. 

Then for Science i have two options. I ordered The Good and the Beautiful unit on simple machines out of a moment of panic, but I don't usually love their science. I mean, I like, it, but we will see. I also printed out/saved the Simple Machines curriculum from Wildflowers and Marbles that someone posted in this forum, that uses the book How Things are Made and K'Nex kits and various other simple labs. Either way, it will be for the two oldest to do together, and the little one will tag along a bit or I have some of The Good and The Beautiful little kid units on science, or honestly she asks a zillion questions and we read and watch documentaries, etc so not worried about doing science with her.