Menu

June Healthy Eating

Selkie

I never got around to posting yesterday because I was even more up-to-my-eyeballs-in-horse-care than usual, plus our internet was on the fritz from a monster thunderstorm. My Saturday meals were similar to Friday’s - my usual breakfast, big salad for lunch, and leftover cauliflower tacos and an ear of corn for dinner - nothing too exciting.

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with vaquero beans, oats, kamut, barley, guava, banana, kiwi, mandarin, longans, rambutans, goldenberries, sour cherries, fig, apricot, dragon fruit, passion fruit, pomegranate, blueberries, blackberries, goji berries, mulberries, mango, lemon and orange zest, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, seaweed, chives, tomato, dry roasted soybeans, sesame seeds, nigella, turnips, beets, zucchini, sweet potato, carrots, mushrooms. I made a WFPB version of Thousand Island dressing that was based on Shane & Simple’s recipe, with a few small changes (used a date instead of maple syrup, and a different kind of tofu than his recipe calls for).

Dinner - I tried two new recipes and both were excellent. Dr. Fuhrman’s latest email has a recipe for his Fiesta Stuffer Wraps. The ingredients sounded intriguing (finely shredded collard greens, almond butter, salsa, cilantro, cumin, and chili powder) and it has tons of rave reviews, so I decided to give it a try. Wow, this one is a real keeper and so easy to make. I just added three more bunches of collards to my produce order so I can make these again asap.

Then I had some gorgeous Palouse green and yellow split peas, so I decided to try Monkey & Me’s Split Pea “Dumpling” Soup, with gnocchi for the dumplings. This turned out great as well. Ingredients are onion, garlic, celery, carrots, veg broth, coconut aminos, nooch, split peas, spices, green peas, and gnocchi (I used spinach gnocchi). 

• Like 1

Sunday 

breakfast- keto cinnamon blueberry granola with coconut yogurt 

lunch-  gf mini muffins; fruit salad, some cheese  and egg salad  (mostly leftovers from yesterday)

Dinner - going out to a gourmet burger place to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary  Will have half of a gf burger and a salad.  My blood sugars do well with that  

Eggs before bedtime

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Sunday 

lunch-  gf mini muffins; fruit salad, some cheese  and egg salad  (mostly leftovers from yesterday)

Dinner - going out to a gourmet burger place to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary  Will have half of a gf burger and a salad.  My blood sugars do well with that  

Eggs before bedtime

Happy anniversary!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been eating well and less since covid, happily achieving some of my weight loss goal!  I ate our second Thanksgiving turkey all week and finally made soup with it yesterday so I'll get a few more days out of that.  Covid left me with zero desire for eggs, which is odd.

• Like 3

Monday - 

Breakfast - Mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with black ayocote beans, 10 grain cereal, passion fruit, banana, kiwi, mango, pomegranate, mandarin, longans, rambutans, goldenberries, blueberries, blackberries, elderberries, barberries, chokeberries, goji berries, mulberries, dragon fruit, lemon and orange zest, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - A wrap with the last of the collard greens and remnants of cauliflower/pinto bean taco mixture. Half an ear of corn. Apple and pear slices.

Dinner - A bowl of leftover split pea soup with homemade oil-free tortilla chips, guacamole, and salsa.

• Like 3

Monday 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mixed greens and onions and mushrooms; 1/2 flaxseed muffin; Jojo’s guilt free chocolate 

Dinner - salmon with lemon dill butter; brown rice , corn, green beans, almonds, carrots, peas; dark chocolate 

Eggs before bedtime

• Like 3

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Domingo de Rojo beans, oats, barley, spelt, mango, banana, longans, rambutans, blueberries, blackberries, goldenberries, goji berries, mulberries, kiwi, pomegranate, guava, sour cherries, apricot & apricot kernels, lemon and orange zest, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with shredded Brussels sprouts, chives, sauerkraut, turnips, beets, sweet potato, mushrooms, tomato, carrots, edamame, French lentils, quinoa, pistachios, sesame seeds, nigella, WFPB Thousand Island. A mandarin and a walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar.

Dinner - We finished up the last of the split pea soup and I also had a wrap with chickpea salad (mashed chickpeas with red onion, pickles, garlic, fresh dill, tahini, mustard, apple cider vinegar, and a splash of soy milk).

• Like 3

Today I had a large salad and some tuna at lunch, no breakfast.

For supper, I used half a chicken breast to make chicken ala king. I haven't made that in years. It was loaded with veggies. The biscuits were light.

Both of us are trying to eat light. We are going on vacation from July 14-23. We do not plan on worrying too much about how we are eating, and just have a relaxing time. I will be cooking since we have a house. However, I also do not want to cook for every meal while we are gone, and neither does Mark. So there is going to be some restaurant food, and convenience breakfast. It is what it is. I need some down time from worrying about food, food prep, cook, and clean up. 

Edited by Faith-manor
Typo
  • Like 3

Tuesday 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mixed greens and onions and mushrooms; 1/2 flaxseed muffin; Jojo’s guilt free chocolate 

Dinner - Southwest Skillet- ground beef, bell pepper 🫑 mix, onions 🧅 , corn 🌽 , black beans 🫘, guacamole 🥑, mango 🥭 salsa, vegan cheeze; dark chocolate 

Eggs before bedtime

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Tuesday 

Dinner - Southwest Skillet- ground beef, bell pepper 🫑 mix, onions 🧅 , corn 🌽 , black beans 🫘, guacamole 🥑, mango 🥭 salsa, vegan cheeze; dark chocolate 

Eggs before bedtime

Love the food emojis!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday was the last of the turkey soup plus some frisee salad and tempura mushrooms from the tree outside.  The upside of all this rain is that wild mushrooms are abounding! 

Covid seems to have left me with a lightened appetite.  I went to the farmstand for the first time this year and got loads of veggies which is all that sounds good to me now.

• Like 3

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Kale with pea shoots (this is our bottom of the barrel day before greens delivery). Breakfast bowl with soybeans, 10 grain cereal, yacon, nectarine, apricot, banana, kiwi, guava, fig, elderberries, chokeberries, barberries, blueberries, blackberries, goji berries, goldenberries, mulberries, longans, dragon fruit, passion fruit, mango, lemon and orange zest, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Chickpea salad wrap, apple slices, a mandarin.

Dinner - We had an old favorite tonight, tofu “fish filets”. I realized that we’ve been having these for 30+ years - I can remember making them as a newlywed in our first little kitchen. I think the recipe came from Vegetarian Times magazine sometime around 1990. Back then, I used Mori Nu silken tofu, which was the only kind available, and I had to get it via mail order! Times have changed for the better, at least as far as tofu is concerned. 🙂 It is super easy, tofu slices dipped in aquafaba and then coated in seasoned bread crumbs and baked. 

I also made cashew tartar sauce with fresh dill from the garden, and I tried Monkey & Me’s latest coleslaw recipe, which is a copycat KFC recipe (WFPB style). Whether it actually tastes like KFC or not, I have no clue, but it was good.

Dessert - Dragon fruit banana nice cream.

• Like 2

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens, microgreens, and flowers. Breakfast bowl with beluga lentils, oats, spelt, barley, mandarin, kiwi, banana, dragon fruit, passion fruit, blueberries, blackberries, fig, sour cherries, pluot, apricot kernels, pomegranate, mango, goldenberries, goji berries, mulberries, lemon and orange zest, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, seaweed, edamame, tomato, radishes, turnips, chives, raw mixed nuts, sesame seeds, nigella, WFPB Thousand Island. Apple slices and longans.

Dinner - Leftover tofu filets and coleslaw from last night, plus I saw Monkey & Me’s Buffalo Ranch Rice recipe on Facebook and decided to give it a try. Turned out great. I’m not a huge fan of buffalo flavor, but it is pretty subtle in this recipe.

• Like 1

Thursday 

Dinner - leftover southwest skillet (ground beef, black beans, corn, onions, bell peppers, mango salsa, vegan cheeze) and a dollop of tofutti “sour cream”;  brown rice; chocolate pudding 

Eggs before bedtime

• Like 1

Friday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens, microgreens, and flowers. Breakfast bowl with cassoulet beans, 10 grain cereal, barberries, elderberries, chokeberries, goji berries, goldenberries, mulberries, blueberries, blackberries, mango, dragon fruit, pomegranate, kiwi, banana, fig, apricot, orange and lemon zest, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, seaweed, red onion, cucumber, English peas, green beans, butternut squash, tomato, radishes, edamame, quinoa, turnips. Whipped up a quick dressing from leftover cashew tartar sauce mixed with Bayou BBQ seasoning from Local Spicery. A mandarin and apple slices.

Dinner - Homemade Thai pizza with peanut/garlic/ginger sauce, crispy tofu, scallions, carrot matchsticks, and shredded kale.

• Like 1

Friday 

Dinner - Greek lamb kabobs (lamb, onion, bell peppers grilled on skewers); rice with carrots, a tomatoey sauce perhaps (the rice was slightly orangey in color); yogurt dip; salad (romaine lettuce, onions, tomatoes, cucumber with a vinaigrette)

Eggs before bedtime

• Like 1