Menu

Homemade vegan yogurt/kefir and almond milk?

Ann.without.an.e

I'm watching with interest as I'd like to start exploring these options as well.

I saw some ads for a machine called a Nutr for making nut milk, but I know nothing about it.

My concern is that making nut milk will be like my abysmal juicing experience. After buying a juicer and assembling recipes and then diving into eagerly juicing, I was so thrown by the clean-up process. So much fruit/veg pulp in all the nooks and crannies of the machine that never seemed to quite go away, ugh. We finally got rid of it because none of us could face the cleanup.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harriet Vane said:

I'm watching with interest as I'd like to start exploring these options as well.

I saw some ads for a machine called a Nutr for making nut milk, but I know nothing about it.

My concern is that making nut milk will be like my abysmal juicing experience. After buying a juicer and assembling recipes and then diving into eagerly juicing, I was so thrown by the clean-up process. So much fruit/veg pulp in all the nooks and crannies of the machine that never seemed to quite go away, ugh. We finally got rid of it because none of us could face the cleanup.

If you have a decent blender, I don't think you need anything fancy except some way to strain it (a nut bag?). 

• Like 1

Ann, I have made milk from macadamia nuts. The good thing is that it blends completely and doesn’t need straining.

I have made almond milk without straining. It is very easy to do, but it really needs to be strained. It tastes so much better than store bought. 

I use 1/4 cup macadamia nuts to make 1 cup of milk. I use that to make potato and leek soup.

• Like 2

An option I have seen but haven't tried is to just blend a little bit of nut butter with water. No need to strain or have a heavy-duty blender! I don't have an exact recipe, but the videos all look like about 1/3 cup nut butter to 1 quart of water. Obviously play around with ratios to get it how you like it. 🙂

• Like 1

You can also get organic almond milk concentrate which is basically almond butter made from blanched, skinless almonds. It says to blend 30 seconds. No straining required. I just ordered a jar of this. Since I can’t drink coffee, almond milk chai lattes with Laird’s Superfood Creamer is something I really enjoy right now. I didn’t know almond milk concentrate existed until a few minutes ago. It’s the closest thing to making it from whole almonds. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, kathyl said:

Did you use a recipe?  How did you make it?  

13 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

That looks good! Which plant milk is it?

To make one quart, I soaked whole raw almonds (3/4 cup) and 1/4 cup raw cashews. I soaked them for quite a while (12 hours or so). To a high powered blender (I have a vitamin), add a dash of salt, 5 cups of water (if you want it sweetened then add honey or maple syrup). Blend well. The key is to strain is really good. I strained the bulk out with a flour sack towel twice and then use a finer tea strainer twice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1