Menu

Still needed: Contemporary Corporate Office Wear? (business professional)

Halftime Hope

1) Awhile back, several boardies had listed several updated officewear websites that they liked for basic office wear. I need to update some classic items in my wardrobe.  [STILL NEEDED.]

ETA: Thanks, Boardies! Got the answer on the shoes.

2) I'm also looking for a pair of updated warm-weather shoes similar to ballerina flats, or maybe just plain flats with a round toe and a higher vamp, that people here liked. It was a brown leather shoe that fit like a glove; like a ballerina flat but with a slightly higher, updated vamp. Plain, plain; no heel or just barely heel. It wasn't from a traditional shoe brand, as I recall. I think it was a popular shoe, several boardies mentioned having that shoe. The closest I can find to what I remember is Born Beca, but it's too casual.  This was more polished because the sole was not a crepe sole.  Here's the Beca in case someone is trying to figure out what I mean, but the shoe I'm looking for wasn't the Beca.

Thank you so much!

Edited by Halftime Hope

2 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

1) Awhile back, several boardies had listed several updated officewear websites that they liked for basic office wear. I need to update some classic items in my wardrobe.

2) I'm also looking for a pair of updated warm-weather shoes similar to ballerina flats, or maybe just plain flats with a round toe and a higher vamp, that people here liked. It was a brown leather shoe that fit like a glove; like a ballerina flat but with a slightly higher, updated vamp. Plain, plain; no heel or just barely heel. It wasn't from a traditional shoe brand, as I recall. I think it was a popular shoe, several boardies mentioned having that shoe. The closest I can find to what I remember is Born Beca, but it's too casual.  This was more polished because the sole was not a crepe sole.  Here's the Beca in case someone is trying to figure out what I mean, but the shoe I'm looking for wasn't the Beca.

Thank you so much!

Was it Everlane? My daughter loves their shoes.

https://www.everlane.com/products/womens-day-glove-black?collection=womens-shoes

7 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

Not those, but some of them are really cute! Thank you!

The toe detail takes them up from 'casualish' to 'business'.  I have them in the pink and the brown and they go with so many things!  Super comfortable, too, because they are flats but they stay on, and the round toe leaves my little toes room to spread out that is often a problem with dressier shoes.  They are bit cushy inside also, which is nice.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Man. This is is waaay too much thought to go into shoes for work. Do people really care what others wear? Obviously, within reason, it clearly isn't the place to wear mud caked garden shoes. My husband works at corporate headquarters for a large company, today he accidentally wore house shoes. No one noticed. 

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, SHP said:

Man. This is is waaay too much thought to go into shoes for work. Do people really care what others wear? Obviously, within reason, it clearly isn't the place to wear mud caked garden shoes. My husband works at corporate headquarters for a large company, today he accidentally wore house shoes. No one noticed. 

I'll find out what the culture is when I land a new job, but it depends on the company. I've been in very buttoned up AND more relaxed places.

But honestly, your husband is a guy. Fer realz, it's quite often different for guys. My husband worked for 3 different F500 companies, and aside from wearing a tie in his first 10 years, and liking both stylish and whimsical ties -- because everyone in a corporate white collar job wore ties at that point -- he's never cared about clothing.

The most interesting thing for me was that in my most recent job in academia, few of the women wear makeup, even at the most senior levels of admin, i.e. not just on the faculty side. To each their own.

• Halftime Hope changed the title to Still needed: Contemporary Corporate Office Wear? (business professional)
10 hours ago, SHP said:

It's funny, SHP, I looked at some otherwise cute Dansko Larisa flats. The problem is that all I can think of when I see them is the memories of my grandfather's slippers. They were exactly like the Larisa's, but men's and lined with thin, plaid cotton. (I can't unsee the memory. 😁)

2 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

The most interesting thing for me was that in my most recent job in academia, few of the women wear makeup, even at the most senior levels of admin, i.e. not just on the faculty side. To each their own.

At the university where I work,  the standard for interdepartmental meetings is an open-collared shirt and a sweater with chinos. I wear that too.

In the principal's office, it's much smarter, and the women tend to wear makeup.  That's maybe twenty people out of the entire staff?

Edited by Laura Corin

18 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

At the university where I work,  the standard for interdepartmental meetings is an open-collared shirt and a sweater with chinos. I wear that too.

In the principal's office, it's much smarter, and the women tend to wear makeup.  That's maybe twenty people out of the entire staff?

This is my experience, as well. The senior staff expect to dress at a level commensurate with their responsibility. 

• Like 1