Menu

Any rowers here? I'm doing an intro rowing class tomorrow and I'm so nervous!

popmom

Why am I so nervous? I was so excited about it until today, and now I wish I hadn't signed up! 

I can't wear loose clothing. That's one thing. I'm stressed over what to wear. The email says to wear "dry-fit type t shirts and spandex shorts--no loose clothing--a baseball cap (I never wear a baseball cap!) and water shoes or very thin soled athletic shoes without a wide heel." It also says to bring thick socks and sunglasses.

I have some Lands End water shoes. I hope that is okay. I do have one old baseball cap, but I really can't see it staying on my head if there is the slightest breeze.

I ordered new prescription sunglasses from Costco 2 weeks ago, and they still are not ready. 😕 I ordered them just for this and thought I had given it enough time. I really don't think I'll need any though--it's supposed to be cloudy.

I should have emailed them back to ask why the thick socks? Am I going to be wearing thick socks with my water shoes? lol That's going to be a good look.

Spandex shorts? Another good look on me lol. I don't even have any. I am planning to wear my Lands End swim shorts. They are pretty short, so I can't imagine they would get in the way. And I'm trying to locate a rash guard or something. The only dry fit shirt I have is a medium and it's sort of loose fitting.

I really didn't want to spend a bunch of money on this since I don't know if I'm even capable. But I will have time to run by a sporting goods store tomorrow if I need to. The class doesn't start until 1pm. 

Edited by popmom

I'm not a rower, but your class sounds like a blast. I would do my best with the clothing, but not stress too much about it. The tight clothes are probably to keep from getting caught as you row. Since it's an intro class, you'll see all kinds of clothing and styles, and nobody will care too much as long as you're safe and the clothes aren't getting in the way. It will make sense after your first session. I'm sure you'll be fine. 

Good for you to try something new! I mean it! Good for you!!!! You rock!

Make sure you report back to us after your class!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tiberia said:

I'm not a rower, but your class sounds like a blast. I would do my best with the clothing, but not stress too much about it. The tight clothes are probably to keep from getting caught as you row. Since it's an intro class, you'll see all kinds of clothing and styles, and nobody will care too much as long as you're safe and the clothes aren't getting in the way. It will make sense after your first session. I'm sure you'll be fine. 

Good for you to try something new! I mean it! Good for you!!!! You rock!

Make sure you report back to us after your class!

Thank you--I will! 

Me me me!!!

I love rowing!  I'm actually now running the intro rowing programs at my club.  So it sounds like it's real rowing on the water?  Do you know if it's sculling (smaller boats, two oars per person) or sweep (bigger boats with coxswain, one oar per person)?

Our club usually has people on ergs (rowing machines) teaching technique before getting you on the water.

In a boat, you definitely want snug-fitting clothes.  Loose clothes will get caught in the slide and is actually dangerous.  I usually wear spandex capris.  Doesn't have to be shorts, just tight.  It's actually better longer because it protects your legs on the slide.  Basically yoga leggings but not cottony ones, the shiny ones.  You want it to be able to get wet and dry quickly.  Also snug fitting tops.  Really.  No one cares how you look in them.  Men get shy too (especially with the tight pants).  But everyone's in the same boat (literally!  oops, cracking bad jokes now...).

I'm not sure if they will put you right into boats or if they have a barge for teaching.  In a barge water shoes might be fine.  On an erg you can use those or sneakers.  In an actual boat, I just wear socks.  The shoes are fastened to the boat and you put your feet right in.  If you have very thin water shoes and the shoes are huge (they are often huge) that also works, but if the shoes are closer to fit just socks.  I always have some kind of water-friendly slip-on sandal (crocs would also work) with socks that I wear down to the water then leave them on the dock.  I've only ever known one person that wore water shoes in a boat.  You want thick socks because you're going to be putting your feet into shoes that have been worn by a zillion people.  And are likely way too big for you.  I always use wool socks (low profile like for sneakers); they also don't retain water if they get wet.  No cotton.

I did a learn-to-row class years ago and fell totally in love.  I'm hooked!  I hope you have a fabulous time!

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Me me me!!!

I love rowing!  I'm actually now running the intro rowing programs at my club.  So it sounds like it's real rowing on the water?  Do you know if it's sculling (smaller boats, two oars per person) or sweep (bigger boats with coxswain, one oar per person)?

Our club usually has people on ergs (rowing machines) teaching technique before getting you on the water.

In a boat, you definitely want snug-fitting clothes.  Loose clothes will get caught in the slide and is actually dangerous.  I usually wear spandex capris.  Doesn't have to be shorts, just tight.  It's actually better longer because it protects your legs on the slide.  Basically yoga pants but not cottony ones, the shiny ones.  You want it to be able to get wet and dry quickly.  Also snug fitting tops.  Really.  No one cares how you look in them.  Men get shy too (especially with the tight pants).  But everyone's in the same boat (literally!  oops, cracking bad jokes now...).

I'm not sure if they will put you right into boats or if they have a barge for teaching.  In a barge water shoes might be fine.  On an erg you can use those or sneakers.  In an actual boat, I just wear socks.  The shoes are fastened to the boat and you put your feet right in.  If you have very thin water shoes and the shoes are huge (they are often huge) that also works, but if the shoes are closer to fit just socks.  I always have some kind of water-friendly slip-on sandal (crocs would also work) with socks that I wear down to the water then leave them on the dock.  I've only ever known one person that wore water shoes in a boat.  You want thick socks because you're going to be putting your feet into shoes that have been worn by a zillion people.  And are likely way too big for you.  I always use wool socks (low profile like for sneakers); they also don't retain water if they get wet.  No cotton.

I did a learn-to-row class years ago and fell totally in love.  I'm hooked!  I hope you have a fabulous time!

Thank you for this!  That really helps me feel better. Yay! Yes, we will be on actual boats, but I'm not even sure if I'll be solo or in a boat with another rower. It should be sculling--two oars per person. They sent me a couple of videos to show the technique. Looks like quite a learning curve, but I'll give it a try.

Thank you so much for explaining the clothes and socks and stuff. It makes so much more sense now! 

Gosh I hope I'm like you and get hooked. I love, love, love being in or on the water, and it just sounds like an amazing way to stay active and build strength. I'm pretty wimpy though right now, so... I hope I can take it slow. I've been pretty inactive for years due to being sick. Now that I've got a dx and a treatment plan, I'm really trying to "snowball" (can't think of a better term atm) that into better health overall. 

I'm still nervous, but you have encouraged me!

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, popmom said:

Thank you for this!  That really helps me feel better. Yay! Yes, we will be on actual boats, but I'm not even sure if I'll be solo or in a boat with another rower. It should be sculling--two oars per person. They sent me a couple of videos to show the technique. Looks like quite a learning curve, but I'll give it a try.

Thank you so much for explaining the clothes and socks and stuff. It makes so much more sense now! 

Gosh I hope I'm like you and get hooked. I love, love, love being in or on the water, and it just sounds like an amazing way to stay active and build strength. I'm pretty wimpy though right now, so... I hope I can take it slow. I've been pretty inactive for years due to being sick. Now that I've got a dx and a treatment plan, I'm really trying to "snowball" (can't think of a better term atm) that into better health overall. 

I'm still nervous, but you have encouraged me!

I was pretty out of shape when I started, but I'm much better now!  Wanting to be in shape for rowing season actually motivated me to keep in better shape year round.  I also love being on the water, and for me it's so much more fun than, say, a kayak where you're just kind of floating about.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

I was pretty out of shape when I started, but I'm much better now!  Wanting to be in shape for rowing season actually motivated me to keep in better shape year round.  I also love being on the water, and for me it's so much more fun than, say, a kayak where you're just kind of floating about.

Sweet!

I found some capri leggings--spandex, so I'll wear those instead of the swim shorts. Still undecided on the top, but I can run to the store tomorrow and get something. 

• Like 1

Oh, @popmom I should add, since you're sculling, there's a type of learning boat that doesn't have attached shoes, that might be why they want water shoes? I've rowed in them in just socks, but the water shoes would probably be an improvement.   I run our sweep program,  so I can forget about those boats.

• Thanks 1

I did it! 
And I really liked it! Too bad their summer classes are full. I’ll have to wait a full year to take their lessons. 

We did the “erg” first or whatever it’s called. Then we got on the water 4 to each boat. The couple on my boat—they were around my age. The husband had been on the rowing team at Oxford. Yes, THAT Oxford. He hadn’t rowed in ages though. 

If you take the classes and do well enough, they will invite you to be part of the club. I’m not sure I could afford it, but I could at least take the classes. 

Thank y’all for the encouragement—my nervousness went away as soon as I got there. I’m pretty proud of myself as I’m not athletic at all, but I had an easier time with it than the super fit lady behind me. The main instructor complimented me, too, as I was leaving. Nice confidence booster. I’m ready to try something else outside my comfort zone!

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, popmom said:

I did it! 
And I really liked it! Too bad their summer classes are full. I’ll have to wait a full year to take their lessons. 

We did the “erg” first or whatever it’s called. Then we got on the water 4 to each boat. The couple on my boat—they were around my age. The husband had been on the rowing team at Oxford. Yes, THAT Oxford. He hadn’t rowed in ages though. 

If you take the classes and do well enough, they will invite you to be part of the club. I’m not sure I could afford it, but I could at least take the classes. 

Thank y’all for the encouragement—my nervousness went away as soon as I got there. I’m pretty proud of myself as I’m not athletic at all, but I had an easier time with it than the super fit lady behind me. The main instructor complimented me, too, as I was leaving. Nice confidence booster. I’m ready to try something else outside my comfort zone!

Woooo!!! Yay you!!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, popmom said:

I’m pretty proud of myself as I’m not athletic at all, but I had an easier time with it than the super fit lady behind me. The main instructor complimented me, too, as I was leaving. Nice confidence booster. I’m ready to try something else outside my comfort zone!

That is awesome!  I'm proud of you for doing it and doing it so well!  🙂  Glad it was such a good experience

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, popmom said:

I did it! 

Our program has room - bummer you don't live near me! 😄

• Thanks 1