Menu

What should I do with this ground venison?

popmom

My son in law hunts, and awhile back he gave me a few pounds of ground venison. Its in the freezer, and I'd like to cook it in the next few days. I don't really want to do something with overpowering spices like tacos. I was just going to make burgers but I'm afraid they'll be too lean/dry. What should I make?

Yes, pure venison burgers are likely to be too dry. You can get around that by simply adding some fat. You could do about 25% fatty ground pork, like breakfast sausage, or you could freeze some butter and grate about 2 tablespoons per pound of venison (mix all the seasonings in first, add the frozen butter right before making the patties). Same for meatloaf or meatballs. 

I add pork bc that's what I do for all of my burgers, but you can mix venison into any recipe that calls for ground beef as well. If you want to maximize the amount of venison, start with small amounts of ground beef and eyeball how much more to add, based on having a bit of visible liquid fat while cooking.

Really,  I don't see why you couldn't add butter, beef fat, or bacon grease to any ground venison dish to conquer the dryness. 

Dirty rice is really good with ground venison.  If you're not feeling the gizzards or can't get them, Chef Kevin Bolton does a version without them.

25 minutes ago, katilac said:

Yes, pure venison burgers are likely to be too dry. You can get around that by simply adding some fat. You could do about 25% fatty ground pork, like breakfast sausage, or you could freeze some butter and grate about 2 tablespoons per pound of venison (mix all the seasonings in first, add the frozen butter right before making the patties). Same for meatloaf or meatballs. 

I add pork bc that's what I do for all of my burgers, but you can mix venison into any recipe that calls for ground beef as well. If you want to maximize the amount of venison, start with small amounts of ground beef and eyeball how much more to add, based on having a bit of visible liquid fat while cooking.

Really,  I don't see why you couldn't add butter, beef fat, or bacon grease to any ground venison dish to conquer the dryness. 

Dirty rice is really good with ground venison.  If you're not feeling the gizzards or can't get them, Chef Kevin Bolton does a version without them.

Oooh! I love gizzards! I’m looking that up! Thanks for the ideas—and the link!

• Like 1