Menu

Any SSI experts here? Does this sound right?

DawnM

Our youngest/adopted out of foster care......his adoption went through in May.   Around July I got a letter asking me to fill in some Social Security paperwork for SSI.   I didn't know what it was and ignored it for a couple of months.   I got another letter in late Aug so I filled it out and went up to the SS office in person to turn it in.   I still didn't really know what it was for.

Then I started receiving monthly checks from the SS office.   I still didn't really understand why, I thought it was a stipend for him since he is considered "special needs" due to the trauma and therapy.

Anyway, I got a letter this week saying that unless more paperwork was filled out, the checks would stop.   The letter did not say what paperwork they actually were talking about so I called.   On the call, they told me that this is tied to his birth mother and HER SSI and if she isn't getting it, then his stops as well.   

She isn't getting it right now because she is in jail.   

I was floored.   His check hinges on her check?

Has anyone heard of this or dealt with this issue?

I know a little about SSDI, which I think works pretty much the same as SSI. My guess is that it's correct. His mother qualified and therefore he qualified for a payment as her minor dependent. I'm curious if he would even qualify on that now since IIRC you've formally adopted him and therefore I assume he can no longer be claimed as her dependent? I don't know about that, though.

It definitely sounds as if he's never been approved for SSI in his own right.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DawnM said:

She isn't getting it right now because she is in jail.   

I was floored.   His check hinges on her check?

My understanding of how it works from when we dealt with it is that this is correct.  His check can also be cut if she has more qualified dependents, just as an FYI.  We dealt with that. I would call them and see if there’s anything you can do about it.  I don’t think so but there might be a loophole.  

10 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

. I'm curious if he would even qualify on that now since IIRC you've formally adopted him and therefore I assume he can no longer be claimed as her dependent? I

I had that same question when I dealt with it.  The person I talked to at SSA said once qualified as a dependent always qualified, even after an adoption.  I was attempting to let them know to stop the checks due to an adoption occurring and was told that the adoption wouldn’t disrupt the checks. We received the checks without incident for 15 years until the child ages out.

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

My understanding of how it works from when we dealt with it is that this is correct.  His check can also be cut if she has more qualified dependents, just as an FYI.  We dealt with that. I would call them and see if there’s anything you can do about it.  I don’t think so but there might be a loophole.  

I had that same question when I dealt with it.  The person I talked to at SSA said once qualified as a dependent always qualified, even after an adoption.  I was attempting to let them know to stop the checks due to an adoption occurring and was told that the adoption wouldn’t disrupt the checks. We received the checks without incident for 15 years until the child ages out.

UGH.   Ok, well, I guess IF she gets out and gets SSI again, we will start getting checks, or at least get a letter to go fill out the paperwork at the SS office again.

30 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I know a little about SSDI, which I think works pretty much the same as SSI. My guess is that it's correct. His mother qualified and therefore he qualified for a payment as her minor dependent. I'm curious if he would even qualify on that now since IIRC you've formally adopted him and therefore I assume he can no longer be claimed as her dependent? I don't know about that, though.

It definitely sounds as if he's never been approved for SSI in his own right.

I know.  I kept asking yesterday, "Wait, so this is from his BIRTH mother?   That doesn't seem right."   She assured me it was correct.

It is complicated with adoption.

yea, he is getting money off her record, so if she is getting a check, he will too.  If Hers stops then his off her record will stop.

You can apply for him directly but then 2 things have to be true……he is disabled according to SSI guidelines AND the FAMILY income is below a certain level.  Likely if you are middle class or above he wouldn’t qualify on his own as the family income is too high.

Another wrinkle is if he gets an adoption subsidy.    If his SSI was more than his subsidy rate you get the full SSI amount.   If it was less, you get the subsidy rate plus SSI up to that amount.   If you lose SSI then his subsidy should kick in/increase up to the amount approved at his adoption.

I would also call his state adoption worker for more information or to notify them of his subsidy stops.

is mom in jail for more than 30 days?   If it is less, she might still get it, if not Hera likely stops

Another thing is IF he has disabilities at age 18 that meet social security guidelines tuen he can apply on his own  regardless of your family income.  He could then draw SSI and possibly extra off her record as a disabled adult child.  His resources must be less than $2000 (current amount) to qualify.

so if you think he might have a disability that would keep him from being able to work full time as an adult I would make sure not to have any money 💴 n his name.  You can save it for him in your name. In a special needs trust, or in an ABLE account.

• Like 2

I don’t remember the details but one of my kids got it until birth mother died. She’d been on disability. Before adoption it was supposed to go to DHS, but we still got a fairly large check for back payments. I don’t remember why some of it went to us. After her death he no longer qualified, also for a reason that didn’t make sense to me that had nothing to do with us or adoption but something to do with how & why bio mom qualified in the first place. 

I will quantify about the special needs.   The only reason he was considered a special needs adoption was due to us seeking out emotional health therapy.   He doesn't have any other conditions.   He didn't qualify for EC in the local school district and his academics and physical health are right on target.   It is all emotional regulation.   

I don't think he will qualify at 18 and he won't qualify now based on his diagnosis and our income.

50 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

It is complicated with adoption.

yea, he is getting money off her record, so if she is getting a check, he will too.  If Hers stops then his off her record will stop.

You can apply for him directly but then 2 things have to be true……he is disabled according to SSI guidelines AND the FAMILY income is below a certain level.  Likely if you are middle class or above he wouldn’t qualify on his own as the family income is too high.

Another wrinkle is if he gets an adoption subsidy.    If his SSI was more than his subsidy rate you get the full SSI amount.   If it was less, you get the subsidy rate plus SSI up to that amount.   If you lose SSI then his subsidy should kick in/increase up to the amount approved at his adoption.

I would also call his state adoption worker for more information or to notify them of his subsidy stops.

is mom in jail for more than 30 days?   If it is less, she might still get it, if not Hera likely stops

Oh.   I was getting both subsidies from September to March.....maybe I wasn't meant to be getting both?

I do still get the state subsidy.   

Just now, DawnM said:

Oh.   I was getting both subsidies from September to March.....maybe I wasn't meant to be getting both?

I do still get the state subsidy.   

It could be that the state subsidy plus his SSI is the total amount you are supposed to have.   If so, his state subsidy might increase…..maybe.

as to the special needs, we all hope that with time and stability he will continue to do well and not have any special needs.   Reality is, he is a trauma kid who has very poor genetics related to mental illness.  Sadly that can cause a lot of problems as they reach teen and young adult years.

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

It could be that the state subsidy plus his SSI is the total amount you are supposed to have.   If so, his state subsidy might increase…..maybe.

as to the special needs, we all hope that with time and stability he will continue to do well and not have any special needs.   Reality is, he is a trauma kid who has very poor genetics related to mental illness.  Sadly that can cause a lot of problems as they reach teen and young adult years.

I agree, I just don't think we know right now about any mental illness.

I don't think I am supposed to get the combined amount as I have been getting the foster care subsidy since I got him and was fostering him.   That amount has continued from the state.