Menu

What to do for high schooler with super high visual memory but super low processing speed

Eldest will be 15 this fall. He did the Gibson test at a local cognitive brain train center.

working memory - 59 percentile

auditory memory - 21 percentile

visual memory - 99

visual processing - 60

logic-reasoning - 19

processing speed - 1

auditory processing - 27

word attack - 56

We will see how he does with the brain training. But what curriculum recommendations or what to focus on home school wise? We tried lots of things in middle school and I now understand why nothing really worked. My husband works, I work part time in the evening. We have three other kids that I'm also homeschooling. What should I focus my time helping him school wise and what can he do. Input versus output, what would reasonable for a high school course be?

Does this child have high anxiety?

Sometimes low processing speed is tied to perfectionism.

You might consider one-on-one tutoring; that allows a student to move at their own pace without being limited by immature executive function--there's an adult scaffolding the learning.

We've found inexpensive tutors on preply.com for many subjects (it's not just language tutors).

• Like 1

One thing that I was warned about is that the Learning center tests are not normed the same way. I am not sure what test this was that they ran, but if it is only comparing your son with others that use that learning center, using the learning center's own tests, it is not as meaningful. So it would help to know what sort of tests they ran. Also agreeing with the recommendation for the learning challenges board.

My kid with low processing speed has stealth dyslexia.

• Like 2

I don't know whether I would trust a private 'brain training' centre who is trying to sell you 'brain training' courses. If you're concerned, get proper psychometric assessments (WISC and WIAT). I don't know how you do that in the US, but someone here will. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bookbard said:

I don't know whether I would trust a private 'brain training' centre who is trying to sell you 'brain training' courses. If you're concerned, get proper psychometric assessments (WISC and WIAT). I don't know how you do that in the US, but someone here will. 

Our tests were done by an educational psychologist.  

This is one place you can look for a psychologist.  https://www.hoagiesgifted.org/psychologists.htm

My child does happen to be gifted, but I didn't know that when we had him evaluated.  

I have a very visual kid. In high school, this meant using very visual resources. Graphic novel versions of classic literature were great. The Graphic Canon books tailor nicely to chronological history/corresponding literature, although you absolutely have to go through them with a black sharpie and maybe rip out a page here or there.

We tended to use more living books for science if we couldn’t find heavily illustrated textbooks. 

For history, we supplemented with Horrible Histories videos.

Just really lean in to the visual.

• Like 1