Menu

Brain Balance

kristin0713

I know people who did well with Brain Balance, but it was not specifically for ADHD, and it was not done in isolation--the kids had other services and therapies. 

Brain Balance borrows from multiple disciplines, but it's a more generalized approach. 

If you have other options with qualified therapists, I would do those first.

If you live somewhere without services, then I think it's worth a try, but it's likely to solve only things the exercises themselves help, such as integrating reflexes to help with sensory and development issues, finding possible dietary sensitivities, etc. ADHD is not that. Those things can make ADHD symptoms worse, but those things are not what causes ADHD. 

Meds and strategies to scaffold EF are more in the wheelhouse of what helps ADHD.

• Like 2

I looked into it at one time….. and talked to someone (one parent at great length, and at less length with a couple more parents)…. And more wrt autism.  

For us, my husband’s insurance covered Occupational Therapy, and it seemed like the same things were something good from Brain Balance.  

For some people, they did not habe insurance coverage for OT and then that changes things.  For us Brain Balance would have been much more expensive.  

I also heard that people got very good parent support at Brain Balance.  

But personally I would look at options and not assume there is something special at Brain Balance you couldn’t find in other ways.  

When I talked to a couple of other parents, I was asking specifically about my son, so I think it could be different for another situation.  

We also lived 2 hours from the Brain Balance center, and part of the reason people drove for it was limited options for kids who maybe — were not going to qualify for insurance (or school) to cover things.  My son qualified for services anyways.  

Overall though I think it can be too expensive and maybe more expensive than other options.  But that can really depend.

There are other people who provide services for ADHD like — OT, or a counselor.  I don’t know a lot about it but there are other options you can compare to, if you have an idea what you are looking for.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

I read a pp’s response.  

I think there is such a thing as counselors who work on ADHD strategies? 

And then — well, what will cost more for you with your insurance, what is available where you are, etc.  

I think a good rapport is so valuable, and I did hear good things about that from other parents.  

I’m not sure if they are all run centrally or if they are a franchise.  Either way I think it would be worth it to ask around locally and not pay too, too much attention to slick marketing.  

There are always autism Facebook groups, if there’s not one for ADHD, or you can join a group from the city with the Brain Balance if you would be driving.  Edit:  and if they are good with autism I bet they would be good with ADHD!

Edited by Lecka

Long answer, then short answer:

Brain Balance centers and Learning Rx often have multiple components of recommendations:

GFCF, food dye free diet

metronome work

sensorimotor work

primitive reflex integration work

None of the above helped my ADHD kids, except one who has red food dye issues, and another with a dairy allergy. My dyspraxic sensory kid saw no improvement from diet or metronome work but had huge benefits from sensorimotor, reflex, and OT/PT including vision therapy. 

We didn’t go to a BBC, but we did go to big name therapists in other areas, some of whom did the original research on which BBC based their ideas (they have since retired).

Short answer: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1100681

For the thousands you would pay, get good OT and PT and neuropsych exams done first, but don’t hold your breath if ADHD doesn’t resolve. I really regret wasting so many years on natural solutions when meds were such an immediate help. 

• Like 3

I wondered about Brain Balance many years ago, and a friend and I did a little bit of research. I learned that they hire people and train them in their systems, but the people do not have any other particular qualifications. We decided we preferred to go to an OT to get similar services, since an OT has graduate level training. And our insurance covered OT but not Brain Balance. I don't know if their hiring is the same now, but it should be fairly easy to read reviews or research that.

I agree with previous posters that medication was required for my kids to have improvement with their ADHD.  I know that some people prefer to try other approaches (and we didn't start meds until age 10 for one kid and 14 or 15 for the other -- for various reasons).

• Like 3

I don’t know what sensorimotor is.  I do know what metronome work is and I don’t think my kids did it.

Two of my kids did retained reflexes with OT.  At the time it seemed like Brain Balance was billed as “nobody else does it.”  But people did do it!  

Locally — one woman had extensive training, but she focused on the lowest level they do for kids with more severe autism.  She thought the better results were with more severe autism and she was also maybe just drawn to working in that area.  

Another woman had more training with retained reflexes too, but she would do it maybe more as a “warm up” than a “promise of permanent improvement.”  She worked with my older son who was not able to catch a sandbag thrown gently to him, as a 2nd grader.  So he qualified for OT.  

At this elementary school, *nobody* qualified primarily for OT.  It was so hard to qualify unless it was a secondary service (or whatever this was called).  My son qualified for OT after he exited speech!   I was told this was basically something nobody had seen before.  He had some poor OT stuff at the time.  

In this town, people loved Bal-a-vis-x for ADHD.  But they said to do it as a warm-up to help focus.  They were really into warm-ups to help kids focus.  

My son couldn’t do regular Bal-a-vis-x, it uses rubber balls.  He had some Bal-a-vis-x, but it was with sand bags and was from the “special needs” part.  

I went to a seminar in that town and they loved OT type of things for ADHD, but mostly thought they could teach parents to do them at home with kids and find what things helped their kids be organized.  

Because — maybe I am wrong, but I think a lot of kids with ADHD are pretty coordinated and athletic, and can do OT without needing somebody to overly help them do it.  My son learned to skip in OT in 2nd grade.  

I have two sons and both were in OT, one has autism and one has dysgraphia.  But I was told my son with dysgraphia has what they think is a very autism-type OT profile.  And my son with autism was better in OT stuff than a lot of kids with autism.  So — for what that is worth.  

There are a lot of programs people have developed similar to Bal-a-vis-x, with a rhythmic part and some cross-body movements.  Maybe there is some breathing, too.  That kind of thing is considered to be good!  

There’s also things like wobble stools for ADHD some people really like, there are lots of things to try like that. That is also OT-type stuff.  

• Like 1

There are OTs who will help people figure out their kid’s profile and recommend activities for them to do at home.  It doesn’t have to mean you go to OT forever.  They can say if some kinds of activities would be desirable.  Like — they can say swimming or riding a bike would be good.  

I am not meaning to “push” this, but I think that people looking at Brain Balance might not realize that some things like this can be available at OT, depending on the OT.  

Good to know about Bal-a-vis-x!

This is so typical, by the way.  It doesn’t work for one kid.  But supposedly it is so good for some other kid!  Who knows unless you try it or can talk to a parent and find out more about what kinds of things seem to work for their child and if they have things in common.

I have also had things where they tell me something, and they tell another parent something different, because — they are being specific.  

But then it’s hard to know what was general information and what was specific information.

I think I will say — I don’t know that OT is really considered evidence-based for ADHD.  I actually don’t know.  I agree about things not taking the place of medication.  I agree about, if there’s a priority list for ADHD, OT is probably not higher than number 3.  

But my son who couldn’t skip made progress.  He learned to swim and we hadn’t even realized that was related to a lack of coordination.  But that’s not the same as saying “then it’s good for ADHD, too.”  

I’m also going to say that I’m an autism parent, and sometimes people say “that’s more for ADHD” and I don’t realize that they’re saying it wouldn’t be a good fit for my child, but in a nice way.  I have probably stored some information incorrectly before realizing that was something people would say to me sometimes.  

This is so true.  

They can give a list of recommendations.  That will actually be specific and personal!  

At somewhere like Brain Balance they are going to focus on the services they provide.  

Edit:  it might seem more expensive up-front, but I tend to think it would be a good value compared to Brain Balance.  

Although we have had insurance coverage and we have also lived in lower-cost areas.  

If you don’t know what insurance will cover, you never know, maybe there will be good coverage for an evaluation.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

About OT and ADHD -- I agree that OT is not necessarily going to help attention and executive function, unless there are related issues that OT can help with. OT was recommended for DS by the neuropsychologist for non-ADHD reasons (dyspraxia, fine motor, sensory issues). The occupational therapist that we used happened to be of the "ADHD is diagnosed too often, and OT can solve some issues that seem to be ADHD but really aren't" persuasion. I didn't agree with her opinions about that (and sometimes found it annoying) but still thought that her services helped DS. She did evaluations and testing with him at the beginning and repeated them when we were ending services, due to a move, and he did improve in some OT related areas. But not in attention.

One thing that really helped DS as much as the OT was music lessons -- first drums, then guitar. And gymnastics. Just throwing that out there, even though you didn't ask about alternative ideas.

However, did those things help his ADHD? No. He really needs his medication. But they helped him practice focusing, moving his body deliberately and stopping to pay attention when listening to instructions, fine and gross motor control, working hard to increase skills, etc. Which I am guessing are the kind of skills that something like Brain Balance could also help with. But they were areas of interest to DS, and were therapeutic in ways, though not officially any kind of therapy.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the replies. DS is almost 15. He is a brilliant, amazing kid. He had a full learning eval a year ago that showed ADHD inattentive. We’ve had five medication fails now. Everything makes him feel horrible and he’s depressed because he thinks there is no hope for his “broken brain” - his words. What’s worse is that he saw his improvement of focus on stimulants but they really made him feel awful and he couldn’t eat and he’s underweight to begin with. I saw an ad for Brain Balance and was intrigued. 

• Sad 3

I’m sorry 😕.

I’m ADHD-ish (not diagnosed, but fit the profile) and basically make do with scaffolding. Maybe that could work for him.

It sucks that he’s so depressed. It’s so hard to be a teen and figure out your brain doesn’t work like it’s “supposed to.”

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Thanks 1

If he is interested and there seems like there would be a rapport, no matter what it is, if it seems like he would connect with someone positive — this can go so far.  

If there’s anything he would be willing to try.  

This can be a real thing.  Sure on some level maybe it is the placebo effect or the effect of a personal relationship but who cares! 

Maybe a male ADHD coach he could potentially see for years?  I don’t know.  Also available on Zoom.  

Maybe someone who has ADHD and works in counseling?  

Maybe Brain Balance if he likes it?  

• Like 1

I don’t know specifically, but you can Google for sure.

I do see ads for it, and if it could also be considered counseling maybe you have an insurance option.  

I am sorry I don’t know more about it, I hope you can find someone good and it is helpful!

Edit:  and that it sounds good to your son!

Edited by Lecka

Please don’t quote, because I will come edit out later:

Two thoughts on meds that you may have already covered with his Dr, but just in case you haven’t:

1. A good chunk of people new to meds may discover an increase in anxiety or depression when they start meds because they have the ability to really think about emotions and develop some awareness there. 

2. Methylphenidate can trigger depressive feelings in some, probably due to some genetic component. 

One of mine failed five meds and found success in a sixth. 

Feel free to pm me. 

• Like 2

We also tried five kinds of medications before finding one that worked for DS. And then switched to a sixth later on. DD was lucky, and the first try worked for her. So it can go either way.

I think we've discussed this before on the LC board. It may be worthwhile to try again to work through the appetite issues. We have to work around that here, and DS didn't like it at first, Now, he is just used to eating at alternate times. I guess one question is whether the appetite issues are really worse than the attention issues. For what it's worth, my two with ADHD also have depression and are medicated for both and have received counseling. It can be complicated to work things out, for sure.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Please don’t quote, because I will come edit out later:

Two thoughts on meds that you may have already covered with his Dr, but just in case you haven’t:

1. A good chunk of people new to meds may discover an increase in anxiety or depression when they start meds because they have the ability to really think about emotions and develop some awareness there. 

2. Methylphenidate can trigger depressive feelings in some, probably due to some genetic component. 

One of mine failed five meds and found success in a sixth. 

Feel free to pm me. 

I have heard this as well and seen it a bit IRL, though not with my kids (though my ASD kid was more clearly ASD when we tamped down the ADHD).

There is genetic testing available that can help narrow down what meds might work better, and it can include a profile for anxiety and depression meds also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Storygirl said:

It may be worthwhile to try again to work through the appetite issues.

Ok, so I have told him this. The appetite issues are really hard. He is already underweight, very picky, and doesn't like to eat breakfast. Throw in the stimulants and he won't eat all day. Oh, and he has digestive issues. He loves coffee, but it bothers his stomach. So even having a large cup of coffee instead of prescribed meds is not an option. 

I will say that the least bothersome stimulant he tried was ritalin. That one bothered his appetite but not his mood. Adderall gave him anxiety and Focalin made him angry. We tried long acting and short acting of each. Vyvanse made him depressed. We then started on the non-stimulant route and tried Straterra. That made him super tired and depressed only one week in so he wasn't on it long enough to see if it would help his focus.

@prairiewindmomma what was the #6 that worked? I can delete this tag if you want.  

I think I'd try to troubleshoot this all with him. Like, out of the things he's tried, how does he feel his best? What can he work with? How could you overcome the disadvantages of whatever road you take? What are his own goals here? 

I'm sure that's more than one conversation at that. Probably more than ten. Sometimes, it takes a lot of experimenting to figure out what the actual best option out of all the imperfect options is. And it can also be really frustrating watching someone make bad decisions for themselves when you can tell very well it won't go well from the side... but people need that sense of agency, I think.